Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rennshifter arrived
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
will
Wow! the rennshifter is beautiful and well made. I am very excited to see how it improves my shifting. beerchug.gif thanks James Adam!!!

....to install this thing... headbang.gif .. confused24.gif
pete-stevers
i sure love mine
install intructions could be a bit more detailed
but once figured....sure works fine
JWest
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 7 2006, 07:47 PM) *

i sure love mine
install intructions could be a bit more detailed
but once figured....sure works fine

I'm confused and suprised by this comment.

I think the install instructions are more detailed than the instructions for just about any other aftermarket product you could buy for a 914 - especially since most don't even include instructions.

The only questions I get are either answered in the instructions and the person has not read them, or they are further into troubleshooting ancilliary issues with the linkage or trans that would only add confusion to include in installation instructions.

What do you think is missing from the instructions?

Additionally, there is nothing about the RennShift that would prevent installation just like installing and adjusting the stock shifter - so no more than a Haynes manual is really required to get it up and running.
J P Stein
James:
How much are you getting for those dubbers these days?
Britian can't seem to find 2nd gear in my car....I've even missed it once or twice biggrin.gif
JWest
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 7 2006, 10:29 PM) *

James:
Britian can't seem to find 2nd gear in my car....I've even missed it once or twice biggrin.gif

Sorry JP - needed my beauty sleep and turned in early last night...

They are $470 - FYI the price is going up in January so if you think you want to do it you might want to decide before the end of this year.

fat73
QUOTE(James Adams @ Oct 8 2006, 05:45 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 7 2006, 10:29 PM) *

James:

Sorry JP - needed my beauty sleep and turned in early last night...

They are $470 - FYI the price is going up in January so if you think you want to do it you might want to decide before the end of this year.

I sure like mine, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Plus...at least it is adjustable!

Ed aka W9R1

IPB Image
will

hello,
after reading your instruction a couple of times, installation seems easy. I will attempt installation tomorrow.
In response to your question, "what do you think is missing from the instructions?", I think pictures or diagrams would make it a little bit better. For someone like me who hardly turns a wrench, a few more pictures or diagrams would greatly help.
thanks again,
will
fat73
QUOTE(will @ Oct 8 2006, 05:48 PM) *

hello,
after reading your instruction a couple of times, installation seems easy. I will attempt installation tomorrow.
In response to your question, "what do you think is missing from the instructions?", I think pictures or diagrams would make it a little bit better. For someone like me who hardly turns a wrench, a few more pictures or diagrams would greatly help.
thanks again,
will

Hopefully you've removed a shifter before. If not, hopefully you have a manual that I'd suggest reading first.

There is one caveat that has nothing to do with the shifter itself. On the original shifter bar where the original shifter bolts up tdo not remove the collar that's on the splined end of the shifter bar unless you mark it's placement first. It's not necessary to move/remove that collar (you should be able to figure out what I'm talking about once you get in there) which is on the splined end of the shifter bar where you will connect the rennshifter. You may have to disconnect the shifter bar in the tunnel from the shifter bar that goes to the transmission (don't remember because mine was already off). Also, when you get the shifter installed you will probably have to adjust the shifter throw using the external adjusting screws on the shifter. We did, but then again we also were using a custom external shifter bar to the transmission. By the way, it shifts like a different transmission. No comparison.

Ed aka W9R1
Chris Pincetich
I hope to get one on/before Xmas to get the 2006 price. I just replaced the tranny mounts and that REALLY improved shift feel. My old ones did have some cracks, and you couldn't see the cracks until they came off. They are 34 years old! My new WEVO mounts are AWESOME and light! I met James at GAF, nice guy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.