Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got another ride!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
this time it's the fuel pump. I don't hear it cycle when I turn the key on. I swapped the relay's around in the engine bay and still , no workie.

Any other checks before I pull the fuel tank???
toon1
one thing to add, there was an odor that I noticed coming from the car that smelled like an electrical problem. The car backfired twice then quit confused24.gif

any help would be great.
So.Cal.914
You can disconnect the fuel line and run a hot wire to the fuel pump. Disconnect

the battery first before running hot wire. If the pump is working you will know it.
toon1
I did a little inspecting and found that the throttle cable was resting against the pos. term. of the coil. It melted though the cable insulation and the inner wires caontacted the pos. terminal. The wire coming off the pos. terminal melted through it's insulation and into a little of the spark plug wire for cyl. #3.

The red and green lights that come on when the key is switched on are not on when the key is turned on. All the fuses look ok.

Could this have fried the FI brain??

Help please!!!!
So.Cal.914
Pull each fuse out and inspect them by hand, these euro fuses can be bad

but look good. Do you have EI or points?
MecGen
Hi

Bummer about the tow...it looks just like my car before, same color and mags.

The 12 volt feed to the coil shorted to ground? correct? You need to look up a schematic and trace that wire back. depending on how long it was shorted, like lets say more then 10 seconds, something surely melted. I don't think the ECM fried but would have a hard look at the ignition switch.
Put your battery at full charge and after you get it going, check the charging system, to avoid another tow... dry.gif

Good luck
later

beerchug.gif
JPB
Sorry about the tow and old wires suck bad. I love them Western wheels; I have them also.

beer.gif Electrical problems ain't nothin but a thing bro.
toon1
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 7 2006, 11:04 PM) *

Pull each fuse out and inspect them by hand, these euro fuses can be bad

but look good. Do you have EI or points?

QUOTE(MecGen @ Oct 8 2006, 06:25 AM) *

Hi

Bummer about the tow...it looks just like my car before, same color and mags.

The 12 volt feed to the coil shorted to ground? correct? You need to look up a schematic and trace that wire back. depending on how long it was shorted, like lets say more then 10 seconds, something surely melted. I don't think the ECM fried but would have a hard look at the ignition switch.
Put your battery at full charge and after you get it going, check the charging system, to avoid another tow... dry.gif

Good luck
later

beerchug.gif

I have points

the pos. coil did short to ground via. the throttle cable thet's what led me to think its the brain.
these are good suggestions I will dig deeper this afternoon.

thank's guy's
toon1
I did a little digging, I suspect the relay board may be fried. none of the relays work,even when replaced with good ones. what is the best wat to go about diagnosing this??
MecGen
Hi

Lets start at the beginning.

Make sure your battery is 100% charged.

Check your 12volt cables, and just as important, your grounds !. The grounds are from you Neg battery post, to the body, and to the motor (usualy at the transmission tail). These WILL heat up and BURN, with a 12volt short.

Check the 12v connection at the starter, check for signs of loose or overheated wires.

Get a schematic and check your power 12v "in" and power 12v "out" at the ignition switch electrical connector. Look for signs of over heating.

Check the schematic, for the 12v and ground coming in to the relay board.

I don't have a electrical diagram....would be easier to explain... unsure.gif Report back what you find, we'll get ya thru it. Lots of possibilities including the board may have fried mad.gif but some thing to check before dishing out $$$.

Later
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.