Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is an Optima 34R Redtop too tall to clear the rain tray?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
Need to get a battery, want to be able to use my rain tray, to protect the engine and what not. I happen to have an Acura with a 34R battery, that is a fair bit taller than the (wrong battery)group 48 one that is in there.

Want to save my hole from becoming hellish, so what is the scoop?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tobra @ Oct 7 2006, 10:19 PM) *

Need to get a battery, want to be able to use my rain tray, to protect the engine and what not. I happen to have an Acura with a 34R battery, that is a fair bit taller than the (wrong battery)group 48 one that is in there.

Want to save my hole from becoming hellish, so what is the scoop?

EXCELLENT question, which is petinent to me!

What about the total measurments?
StratPlayer
No problem what so ever
eg914
I picked up a Miata battery at Autozone recently, it was $85. Smaller that the optima or stock batteries. I will find out this winter if it has enough kick for cold weather starts. So far it works great, and is sealed!
Tobra
Looks like I am going shopping. Group 78 adaptor, right?

Bill, you goin' to silver star and Martin's house today?
seanery
I've used the 34R and the 34. I actually prefer the 34.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(eg914 @ Oct 8 2006, 01:22 AM) *

I picked up a Miata battery at Autozone recently, it was $85. Smaller that the optima or stock batteries. I will find out this winter if it has enough kick for cold weather starts. So far it works great, and is sealed!

Pics Bill? Sounds interesting.

I have the red top and it is the best battery that I have ever had.
Tobra
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 7 2006, 08:15 PM) *

No problem what so ever

is that a little piece of plywood under yours?
Air_Cooled_Nut
Mine, with side posts attached to give me a little more clearance. This actually works out nicely since my pile doesn't have a battery hold-down clamp. The battery stays put, even after two autocrossing laps at WCC slap.gif
StratPlayer
No its just one of the battery mats I had from the last batter that was installed in the car.
Flat VW
QUOTE(Moron Sean @ Oct 8 2006, 07:10 AM) *

I've used the 34R and the 34. I actually prefer the 34.

agree.gif

John wavey.gif

P.S. It gets the terminals 'inboard', much easier to work on.
Tobra
so 2 votes for the 34, and it is the group 78 mounting adapter, correct?
anthony
With the regular 34 you just need a longer than stock ground cable.

My next battery is the Odyssey 925:

http://www.batteryweb.com/odyssey-detail.c...del=PC925%20MJT

Lots of folks have been using the 680 to save weight:

http://www.batteryweb.com/odyssey-detail.c...del=PC680%20MJT

eg914
Dr Evil,

Sorry for the pic delay, but I am a master procrastinator. Here is a pic of the sealed miata battery in my rust tray (opps, battery tray). I had some overcharging issues, which made a small mess into a big mess. solved the issues, cleaned the area with baking soda and water till the fizzing stopped, then slapped in the sealed battery. Some day I'll clean it out better. Until then, don't pay too much attention to the rust holding the battery up.

The battery hold down is rubber. I didn't know it was so floppy until I opened the package. It will be replaced with something more solid eventually (procrastinator, remember?)

I haven't had any trouble starting with the miata battery, but winter will tell if it has enough power. It seems to turn the stock engine over just fine so far.
Tobra
Got the 34R, nice little adaptor comes with the battery, actually an adaptor to fit almost anything. How much does that little battery weigh? How about a tie down from a junkyard Miata?

So Bill, you gonna be able to make it on the 11th?
greg.treadway
If you're going to spring for the Optima, which is an excellent battery, go with the yellow top. The extra power is worth it.
rhodyguy
yes on the group78 hold down from optima (sub of johnson controls). i found that tid bit interesting.

costco usually has the red top in stock. they had the best price i found. compared to some stores, there was as much as a $40-50 dif. if that bat mat is left over from you last open cell bat i would take it out asap. they only neutralize to a point. then they turn into weak acid sponges. the wet/hot/dry cycle is a killer. after you remove it, dampen the tray with a spray bottle, sprinkle some baking soda on it and the surrounding area. let it dry and vaccum up.

k
eg914
Tobra,

Don't know how much the battery weighs, but it wasn't too heavy when I lifted it to install. Tie down from a junkyard Miata is a good idea, I will probably get to it one day, maybe when I replace the rust tray.

I am planning on showing up for lunch on 11 Nov. Sounds like it should be the start of a good thing.
Tobra
groovy, see you then
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.