Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spec Boxster Donor Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nine14cats
People have been asking to see pics of BPR's latest addition. Here are a few pics of our soon to be track only Boxster. Call it a Spec Boxster "Plus".....we can never leave well enough alone.

In a few weeks we will show you what a highly motivated and skilled crew can do to such a pretty car in one weekend. A build crew made up of (6) 914Club members are part of the build crew. In the span of (2) days we plan to:

Install PSS9's
Install Tarett Fr and Rr adjustable swaybars
Install EPIQ front camber plates
Install drilled rotors Fr and Rr
Install Pagid Orange pads Fr and Rr
Install B&M short shifter
Flush brakes with Pentosin High Temp brake fluid
Replace stock muffler with gutted racing muffler from Sportech
Remove soft top, soft top motor and soft top transmissions
Gut interior
Remove dash for TonyC to put in custom cage

Randal and I will be taking the car out for a AX shakedown at the last GGR event on October 28th. The plan is to have the cage, seats and harnesses installed to test at Sears on November 12th.

Doris will be the primary pilot next year in the GGR Time Trial series. Randal and I will also be driving the car as well.

We will document the car build realtime....the countdown has begun....

October 21st/22nd....tick...tick...tick...tick...

Bill P.
nine14cats
1997 2.5L Boxster with Hardtop. 69K original miles. Bought from original owner. The car was serviced at Anderson Behel and then CT Automotive it's entire life. I have all the receipts from day 1.

The car was crazy cheap to buy....

nine14cats
Rear end shot.
nine14cats
Interior is a 9 out of 10! Almost too nice to cut up.....

Almost..... happy11.gif
nine14cats
Rear trunk....
nine14cats
Front trunk....
Trekkor
Cool deal, Bill.

I hope we are both in the same run group with Trackmaster's on Nov 12th.

Will you be running it alone?

What tires?

KT
nine14cats
Hi Trekkor,

I am in the zoomie group as I originally signed up with running Fritz in mind. I'm going to ask to be put in the high intermediate group as I test out the car.

I'll be running Victoracers in 245/45/17's front and 275/40/17's rear.

Looking forward to it.

Bill P.
nebreitling
ooh, that looks way to nice to turn into a race car!!! couldn't you find a wrecker??
Jeroen
cool!
more pics!
more pics!
popcorn[1].gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 7 2006, 10:00 PM) *

ooh, that looks way to nice to turn into a race car!!! couldn't you find a wrecker??

laugh.gif yeah, I know. Doris has fallen in love with the car as is and wants to drive it as a commuter car to her work (I've been letting her "bond" with the car since we got it). She said the same thing...can't you find a beater car to gut?

I want a clean platform from the start. No dents, rust, holes, etc. This car certainly meets the criteria.

Bill P.
Jeroen
must be nice to work on a new(er) car instead of a rustbucket 914 laugh.gif
nine14cats
Playing around with slicks....

I put the 911's front tires on the rear of the Boxster....hmmm....I think I like where this is going.... 23.5x10.5x16 slicks.... burnout.gif

Unfortunately it looks like it will take yet another set of rims with custom offset and backspacing.

Bill P.
DanT
Here we go blink.gif burnout.gif
drew365
It's a sickness Bill, but one of the good kinds. Nice looking car, should be a lot of fun. The POC has just started a spec Boxster series, I believe Brad is planning on running in it. They've only had one or two at each event so far, but it sounds like quite a few guys are in the process of building one.
nine14cats
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 8 2006, 04:12 PM) *

It's a sickness Bill, but one of the good kinds. Nice looking car, should be a lot of fun. The POC has just started a spec Boxster series, I believe Brad is planning on running in it. They've only had one or two at each event so far, but it sounds like quite a few guys are in the process of building one.

Hi Andy,

I know of 14 cars being built right now in POC. I'm actually number 9 to commit.... laugh.gif Unfortunately, the POC doesn't have as big a presence up here in the Bay Area. But I don't mind being the lone wolf for awhile....

Bill P.
DanT
Bill,
How is the "build" team coming? Actually more like the "R&R" team chairfall.gif
Brad Roberts
My flight is booked..LOL

Um.. you might want to send that back alfred.gif

NO factory race car comes with it.. and many many Boxster shops will tell you that it causes premature wear on the tranny.

You know momentum cars. That short shift doesnt help in any form or fashion confused24.gif I used two gears at Buttonwillow... 3rd+4th..lol

NOW.. a longer stick would be better!!

Are we doing the steering wheel and quick release?

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. I edited the title. It is not "OT" while I'm here.. beerchug.gif

The name of this forum is "Paddock" .. lots of different cars in the paddock's near me.

B
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 02:30 PM) *

Oh.. I edited the title. It is not "OT" while I'm here.. beerchug.gif

The name of this forum is "Paddock" .. lots of different cars in the paddock's near me.

B

Besides, the Boxster is really a late model 914... Hey maybe you could make it into a targa???
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 9 2006, 02:13 PM) *

Bill,
How is the "build" team coming? Actually more like the "R&R" team chairfall.gif

Build team is confirmed for October 21st / 22nd:

Bill P.
Randal
Brad
SirAndy
McMark
Dan

Outline of activities:

Fri Oct 20th - Boxster has windshield removed
Sat Oct 21st - R&R shocks, springs, brake discs, pads, fr and rr swaybars
Sun Oct 22nd - Gut entire car of everything not needed (upholstery, seats, etc.)
Mon Oct 23rd - Drop car at TonyC for custom cage install
Thu Oct 26th - Pick up car from TonyC
Fri Oct 27th - AM = reinstall windshield, PM = alignment and corner balance
Sat Oct 28th - GGR AX#9
Sun Nov 12th - Track test day @ Sears

I'll be sending out PM's and e-mail's to the build team once I have confirmation of Brad's flight. It should be sometime tonight or tomorrow at latest.

Thanks!

Bill P.

nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 02:26 PM) *

My flight is booked..LOL

Um.. you might want to send that back alfred.gif

NO factory race car comes with it.. and many many Boxster shops will tell you that it causes premature wear on the tranny.

You know momentum cars. That short shift doesnt help in any form or fashion confused24.gif I used two gears at Buttonwillow... 3rd+4th..lol

NOW.. a longer stick would be better!!

Are we doing the steering wheel and quick release?

B

Ok...so I have confirmation.... laugh.gif

Hmmm....I like the feel of a shorty.... chairfall.gif oops another story there...

I forgot about a quick release...yep, we should do that too....I think TonyC is making one for the Boxster/996 cars. And so does Sparco.

And I do want to bolt in the seats and rails. Sheeeet....more ordering to do.

If we have one guy at each corner, how long to swap out suspension?

How long to gut the car?

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I bought the Sparco complete package for the Boxster remavble wheel. Sparco has a perfect knock-off of the GT3Cup steering wheel. It is deep dish with the yellow stripe.

My thoughts:

The rear suspension requires removal of certain pieces of interior. I suggest we start on the interior Friday night when I arrive and get out the important/in the way pieces. I honestly beleive that we will see 90% of this done Sat. depending on what how hard you want to work Sat.

Yes. At least one seat needs to be in it for the cage. The stockers wont cut it. Make sure you order the adjuster rails also and not just the seat mounts. The sliders bolt onto the stock chassis location, and the side mounts bolt to the Sparco/MOMO sliders.

It will take about 3 hours on all the interior. The heater core and AC will take the longest. It takes 30min to pull the AC compressor and install the new NON-AC belt (did you order it? I have one if need be) It takes 20-30 to pull the front bumper (may want to do this later)

B

nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 03:33 PM) *

I bought the Sparco complete package for the Boxster remavble wheel. Sparco has a perfect knock-off of the GT3Cup steering wheel. It is deep dish with the yellow stripe.

My thoughts:

The rear suspension requires removal of certain pieces of interior. I suggest we start on the interior Friday night when I arrive and get out the important/in the way pieces. I honestly beleive that we will see 90% of this done Sat. depending on what how hard you want to work Sat.

Yes. At least one seat needs to be in it for the cage. The stockers wont cut it. Make sure you order the adjuster rails also and not just the seat mounts. The sliders bolt onto the stock chassis location, and the side mounts bolt to the Sparco/MOMO sliders.

It will take about 3 hours on all the interior. The heater core and AC will take the longest. It takes 30min to pull the AC compressor and install the new NON-AC belt (did you order it? I have one if need be) It takes 20-30 to pull the front bumper (may want to do this later)

B

I'll order the non AC belt tomorrow. I'll let you know if I'll need yours or not depending upon delivery time. I'll also order the seat rails.

I'm okay with working on it Friday night if you are. I don't sleep, remember? happy11.gif

What time do you want the build team available on Sat? We can start working on logistics.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Let's say 9am on Sat. morning. You and I will get the car "prepared" Friday night.

I'm not going to be shy here: I'm a little concerned with the number of people. It will go slower with more people than it would with less. We dont have 4 tool boxes to pull tools from. Just a thought. I also dont want people to feel "left out". I'll stick my head down and grind it out, but I dont want to be waiting on tools.

We need to print off/locate the torque values for ALL the suspension prior to my arrival and have several copies taped to the car. This is VERY important. I also will need several RED paint markers.. NOT Sharpies. These come from craft stores like "Michaels". We will "mark" every nut/bolt that is torqued during re-assembly. This will ensure that nothing is missed. I suggest your alignment shop use a DIFFERENT color when they make the changes.. so you know THEY torqued everything. I can get the car VERY close with a tape measure and a camber gauge.

B
Brad Roberts
Not sure which belts your are going to order, but.. get them ordered. You dont want to be crawling all over the cage drilling holes for the crotch strap pickup point of trying to screw in the eye bolts over the side bars.

Worst case scenerio.. get the eye bolts. They are the same one we use in the 914's.

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2006, 12:33 AM) *

With the risc of being anal...
GT3 racers have a Momo Mod07 wheel wink.gif
IPB Image

not a sparco
IPB Image
nine14cats
Jeroen,

What is the MOMO part number? Is there a hub adapter for the MOMO as well?

Thanks!

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 03:58 PM) *

Not sure which belts your are going to order, but.. get them ordered. You dont want to be crawling all over the cage drilling holes for the crotch strap pickup point of trying to screw in the eye bolts over the side bars.

Worst case scenerio.. get the eye bolts. They are the same one we use in the 914's.

B

Belts are on order and will be here with hardware.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
We like the Sparco because we can drill the hole for the "push to talk" button in the solid spokes. The MOMO holes are two big for the button.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 03:56 PM) *

Let's say 9am on Sat. morning. You and I will get the car "prepared" Friday night.

I'm not going to be shy here: I'm a little concerned with the number of people. It will go slower with more people than it would with less. We dont have 4 tool boxes to pull tools from. Just a thought. I also dont want people to feel "left out". I'll stick my head down and grind it out, but I dont want to be waiting on tools.

We need to print off/locate the torque values for ALL the suspension prior to my arrival and have several copies taped to the car. This is VERY important. I also will need several RED paint markers.. NOT Sharpies. These come from craft stores like "Michaels". We will "mark" every nut/bolt that is torqued during re-assembly. This will ensure that nothing is missed. I suggest your alignment shop use a DIFFERENT color when they make the changes.. so you know THEY torqued everything. I can get the car VERY close with a tape measure and a camber gauge.

B

I have 2 full sets of tools in 2 different tool boxes. I also have two sets of air tools and 2 compressors. I got tired of lugging everything back and forth between the garage and trailer, so I have 2 sets..... happy11.gif

I took into account that not everyone may stay the entire day Sat or Sun. Would you prefer we cut back on the help? Part of it was to be able to make tracks on the car while still getting the gang together...any excuse to have fun.... smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Let me know...

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
The sub strap can be difficult to install because of all the sheet metal coming together under the tub. I'll show you how I did it.

Make sure you also have the cotter pins for the belts also.

The belts wont be in the car for the cage/scab plates. We just need to get all the hardware in place so you can clip them in.

You did buy "clip-ins" correct?? I buy pull up to tighten bottoms and pull down to tighten shoulder straps with clip in lap belts and clip in sub straps. The shoulder harness pieces are "loop through"

I spent the big bucks and bought Scroth. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I had always thought "there is no difference...LOL" Yeah.. right..

B
Brad Roberts
I'm ok with it Bill. I thought more about it. I want some of the 914 people to see/learn this stuff also. I dont know it all, but I have seen it/dealt with it more than most. The tool issue was my number one concern.

Make sure you have some 18mm wrenches/sockets. Some sets dont come with it.

B
Brad Roberts
Fire bottle:

I mount it right between the seats on the center tunnel. VERY EASY to access and it works as an arm rest while you are sitting on grid..LOL

I forget what size, but they typically run $30 or so.

B
Trekkor
Will the build team make it to Sears for the send off on the 12th?

I'll get to chase you around the track myself. Jumpy.gif

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 05:18 PM) *

The sub strap can be difficult to install because of all the sheet metal coming together under the tub. I'll show you how I did it.

Make sure you also have the cotter pins for the belts also.

The belts wont be in the car for the cage/scab plates. We just need to get all the hardware in place so you can clip them in.

You did buy "clip-ins" correct?? I buy pull up to tighten bottoms and pull down to tighten shoulder straps with clip in lap belts and clip in sub straps. The shoulder harness pieces are "loop through"

I spent the big bucks and bought Scroth. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I had always thought "there is no difference...LOL" Yeah.. right..

B

I have Schroth in the 911 and Teamtech's in the 914. The Teamtech's have a nice chest pad but it's a tad cumbersome to fit with a two driver car with a moveable drivers seat. The Schroth's are nice in the 911 since they fit nicely and are comfortable but also can be adjusted for 2 drivers.

I went with Schroth's again.

I'm glad you reminded me about the cotter pins. They don't come with the hardware.

And yes, I got clip ins for the lap belts and sub straps. And I got loop throughs for the shoulder harnesses.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I'm trying to figure out a way to attend his first event in the car (AutoX or track) I need to come back up again before the end of the month to move some stuff from yet another storage unit (house stuff that Lyressa is giving me..back..LOL)

B
Jeroen
I don't have a part#
it's called a "mod 07"

the bolt circle for Sparco, Momo and OMP wheels/hubs are the same (interchangeble) so getting a hub adapter (and a quick release) shouldn't be an issue

you can get them online here:
http://www.ltbmotorsports.com

but both the wheel and the hub adapter should be available at most any motorsport shop, so look around for prices...
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 05:23 PM) *

Fire bottle:

I mount it right between the seats on the center tunnel. VERY EASY to access and it works as an arm rest while you are sitting on grid..LOL

I forget what size, but they typically run $30 or so.

B

I have a HALON in car system for the Boxster.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Please tell me you also ordered them "Hans" compatible? They come with the 2inch upper straps instead of the 3 inch biggrin.gif

Sorry. I ordered/worked on/buil so many GT3's and Boxsters at MOM.. all of this feels routine..LOL

B
Brad Roberts

NICE!!!

I'll need the nozzles out of the kit along with the tubing. BEFORE cage it needs to be "somewhat" installed.

One nozzle on the drive
One on the passenger area
One on the gas tank area/battery area
One or two on the fuel rails in the engine compartment.

Is this a system that you can arm/disarm for testing?

If it is electric, we will mount the button on the plastic cowl section under the windshield.

If it is the cable style, we will need a crimping tool for the "aluminum" cable crimps and some bicycle cable if it didnt come with extra.

B
Trekkor
Brad, if you make it up on the 12th, I'd think you might want to ride along with me as I chase him so you can watch his car at speed through the turns. confused24.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
No need to follow him. I know what the car is going to do biggrin.gif

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 05:34 PM) *

NICE!!!

I'll need the nozzles out of the kit along with the tubing. BEFORE cage it needs to be "somewhat" installed.

One nozzle on the drive
One on the passenger area
One on the gas tank area/battery area
One or two on the fuel rails in the engine compartment.

Is this a system that you can arm/disarm for testing?

If it is electric, we will mount the button on the plastic cowl section under the windshield.

If it is the cable style, we will need a crimping tool for the "aluminum" cable crimps and some bicycle cable if it didnt come with extra.

B

This was/is the 3 nozzle manual system that was going in The Beast. I also have a new fire extinguisher. We can decide what to do when you get here.

Thanks,

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 9 2006, 05:55 PM) *

Brad, if you make it up on the 12th, I'd think you might want to ride along with me as I chase him so you can watch his car at speed through the turns. confused24.gif

KT

Or you could ride in my car and watch the front of the Boxster from the rearview mirror. biggrin.gif Of course you would need somone capable of driving my car fast enough to do that! mueba.gif
Brad Roberts
Grant,

I have always taken you seriously.. I laughed my ass off when I read your post. I didnt read it all before I was laughing!!! I know damn well you can drive clap56.gif

The visual was great: me riding with you and looking back the whole time...LOL

Good stuff aktion035.gif

B
Brad Roberts
Bill,

make sure you have a complete set of "screw driver" style Torx set also. Not just sockets.

I'm going to shoot some pics tonight of the removal procedure for the ignition switch and 4 way flasher switch. These are the two that will give us the most hell during dash removal.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 11 2006, 08:53 AM) *

Bill,

make sure you have a complete set of "screw driver" style Torx set also. Not just sockets.

I'm going to shoot some pics tonight of the removal procedure for the ignition switch and 4 way flasher switch. These are the two that will give us the most hell during dash removal.

B

Okie dokie....I'll need to pick those up. I only have the sockets.

GT3 nose is on it's way..... blink.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Locate a clear bra place in your area. You'll need to have the front of the car done to keep the paint nice!! Much easier to clean bugs off of ClearBra than it is paint!

Do you have the TALL 2 ton style jack stands?

B
Brad Roberts
I'm going to Robs place after work to bid on some computer work. I'll make sure everything is good on the nose shipping!

Rob is one street over from MOM and I'm 2 over from him.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.