Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feeling Horny ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mountain914
I am currently sans horn(s) . Having a short car is getting scary with the tall SUV's. and though my motor is loud enough, it doesn't penetrate the cell phone bonded to their ear, and waving a finger at them won't help a bit.
I have no apparent wire coming through the steering wheel (914-6 column) so I will see what's under there soon (I think I'm looking for a brown/white wire, is that true on a 914-6 as well?).
Meanwhile, other than Dr. Evil's airhorns, I haven't found too much on here new or old about aftermarket horns, or what folks like and don't like.
The Hella Supertone kit seems kinda $$$$ and I've heard longetivity is an issue (OK - I didn't "hear" it per say, I just read opinions on the net).
Being you're a crowd of folks ( dare I say propellerheads prop.gif ) who would over-engineer a desk stapler to be able to staple 32,000 times per second, I would rather hear what you all have to say about them. ( Damp Dave D. has some great info on the club, but I am very cautious about what he's been with the smurfs lately ! happy11.gif - no seriously, what's the story ? )
Pictures of any factory or FLAPS installs would be sweet. (I have a 72).
My preference would be some factory 914 horns all clean and shiny like (or zinc!), but I haven't really "seen" much in the classifieds.
Don't make me go to e-bay uneducated and uninformed ! (oh! wait! that's where I got all my crud to start with!)
Howard
Horny!
Mountain914
From Howards post:
IPB Image
So Howard, what does the air compressor look like ? Is there a constant 12v and then another to trigger the horn ? (Sorry, never considered air horns, don't know how they work).
So.Cal.914
I put Hella Trumpet horns on my 72, very clean went right where the old ones

were and used the original wireing. They pump out 108 db's nice and loud so

much that I kind of shy away from useing them because most people jump if

I take aim at them.
dlo914
QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Oct 7 2006, 09:19 PM) *

From Howards post:
IPB Image
So Howard, what does the air compressor look like ? Is there a constant 12v and then another to trigger the horn ? (Sorry, never considered air horns, don't know how they work).

Joe Sharp would be able to tell you a story about the air horns he installed on his sweet blue -6. chairfall.gif
Howard
Boy, do I need to detail my trunk!

Anyway, the little 12v compressor tucks in well. Just used the stock horn wires directly to the compressor. There is no 'tank' so a fractional delay when you hit the button. Stock fuse/relay handle this with no problem. Very simple installation, used existing holes, etc. BTW, the other bracket shown in the front is my towbar attachment point, but that's another story.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JPB
To answer your title, NEVA forrrrrrrrr I ammmmmmma capon!

Theres this horn from a 1986 buick century that sounds like a freekin freight train and loud as hell, way cool!! The Miata horn is kinda cute also if you want that cute hey baby I'm here to pic you up thing. wink.gif

Air horns are loud, rude and the sweetest sounding thing you will ever hear!

beer.gif Presently a temporary member of the Blue Ball Brigade.
Dr Evil
Howie is spot on with his description. I wanted to put the air horns on for a long time and when I saw Howard do it, and how cleanly he did it I could not resist. $18 at Harbor Freight smilie_pokal.gif

The only negative thing is the fraction of a second delay due to it building up air pressure, but it is a minor issue at best. the compressor, as you can see in Howards pics, is small and easy to mount with no advanced manouvers required.

Did I mention how much I love quicksteel?
Tobra
I have the dual stock horns,hogh and low; which is probably not as loud as those trumpets, but pretty loud, you know what they look like.
JoeSharp
I put these on Beauty after the crash. I like them so much after hearing another air horn that I bought a set for Lindas car. Found them at Kragan. Put them inside the wheelwell, really LOUD.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
Howard can you still fit fogs in the stock position? If not is there room to move

those over a bit? And if you do will the fog light lens survive the blast?

blowup.gif biggrin.gif
Mountain914
Howard - Thank You for the extra info !!

JPB - sounds like you are the master of your own domain ! smiley_notworthy.gif

I echo Pauls question - I want to keep the fog lights.

Thanks for the input - I never knew air horns could be almost instant. Cool ! Assume they still draw the same power so no change in guage of wiring or fuse ?

Whatever I get, it's gotta look good behind this:
TravisNeff
Mine are behind the front bumper, it is a tight fit, but I have my fog lights.
Mountain914
So - would these be too tacky ?

IPB Image

I sure wouldn't want to em-bare-a$$ bootyshake.gif 914 owners everywhere.
Dr Evil
I have fog lights, but I have a 916 front bumper. You could use the Quicksteel like I did to make mounts on the back of your bumper.
JPB
If you put them sweet yellow horns on your car, you will gain 20mph on your top speed being yellow and all. You will be the HORN MASTER!

beer.gif Just as long as we are not fishing baiting masters for then we would be labeled masterbaiters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.