Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission gear oil in shifter cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72914S
I`m dropping the engine on Lil Red. I pull off the cover for the shift linkage I find it full of oil. This I don`t believe is normal.Smells like gear oil? Any thoughts; is there a seal there? Never had any trouble with the transmission(side shift).
Dr Evil
Yup, there is a small seal that surrounds the rod going in and out of the console. It is standard in all of the seal kits and you may be able to get one by itself if you call GPRparts.com and talk to Dave. To change it out you need to:
1) Remover shift console from tranz (2 13mm nuts and some whiggling after you have removed the sift linkage)

2) Drive one of the roll pins (doesnt matter what side) out of one end

3) Remove rod from console and you will see a seal on the outside port.

Removing the seal is a PITA at times. Just be careful not to score the bushing inside the console that the rod rides in, or the seal surface.

If you do not want to do this yourself, you can send me the console and I will do it for you idea.gif
Bleyseng
change the oil seal shaft. Small seal but ya have to pull the shift console out and tap out the pin to remove it.
Dr Evil
Oh ya, also get the O-ring that goes around the base of the console. Cheap and easy and the old one will likely get boogered up wink.gif
72914S
Thanks, I`ll give it a try.
mihai914
You've got some very good advice given previously. I would add just one small thing from my personal experience. Check before replacing all those seals if the leak is not coming from the backup light switch, it is possible and it will puddle in the cover. The switch can leak even from where the wires plug in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.