Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POC @ Streets of Willow - 11/4 & 11/5
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
SandyI
Join us at Streets of Willow for 20 minute run sessions at a technically challenging track that will take your driving to the next level. Newbies will benefit from the best in-car instruction in the West. See you there! beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
whats it cost?

and how do newbies get started?

helmet requirements (SA vs SM) ?

thanks
AA
drew365
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 8 2006, 02:32 PM) *

whats it cost?

and how do newbies get started?

helmet requirements (SA vs SM) ?

thanks
AA

Ah, a new young recruit! They used to let you just show up and do everything at the event but they quit doing that as most of these sell out now. So, you need to join the POC, you should be able to do it at their website porscheownersclub.org. , or you can call Laurie Taylor at (949) 360-6475. Then you can sign up for all events at the website. You will also need to call the cheif driving instructor Marty Mehtarian at (818) 785-4445 so he can assign an instructor for you. They only allow 30 students per event so you need to sign up early or you could get turned down. They have loaner helmets for newbies, must be 2000SA rated. You'll need a long sleeve shirt and pants and shoes, no shorts or flip flops Aaron. It would be a good idea to get your car teched ahead of time so there are no surprises the morning of the event but they will tech it at the track for $20. There's a list of tech stations on the website. Cost is $180 for both days plus $30 transponder rental so you can get your times. They will want you to get some idea of the class your car would fall into so you can be classed at the event. The GCR's are on the website, print the whole thing out, you'll need them occasionally. That's pretty much it, the POC now uses the bowl which we didn't use at WCC05. It's a lot more fun and interesting with the bowl. Good luck
nebreitling
doesn't aaron have to attend a 6 hour ground school in orange county or something? if not, it sounds like a pretty unsafe group...
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 8 2006, 05:12 PM) *

doesn't aaron have to attend a 6 hour ground school in orange county or something? if not, it sounds like a pretty unsafe group...

av-943.gif Good one Mr. Go-kart.
drew365
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 8 2006, 05:12 PM) *

They have the driving school twice a year. They prefer newbies start at one of the schools but it's not mandatory. This is the last event for this season, no school at this event. He needs to have an instructor.
Brad Roberts
I'll be running this event in the Boxster Spec car.

I showed up and ran 3 laps and they signed me off.

It helps if your lap times within those 3 laps led the class you are in by 2 seconds.

POC requires an instructor until they say you dont need one.

I'm waiting patiently for their racers clinic.

B
SandyI
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 02:38 PM) *

I'll be running this event in the Boxster Spec car.

I showed up and ran 3 laps and they signed me off.

It helps if your lap times within those 3 laps led the class you are in by 2 seconds.

POC requires an instructor until they say you dont need one.

I'm waiting patiently for their racers clinic.

B

You won your STS class by 2 seconds?! Impressive. In September? Or earlier in the year?
Brad Roberts
I only ran one time with them on a Sunday during a 2 day STS day. I backed it off the trailer having never run the config they were running and laid down some very decent times for the class.

The class only had a few mildly prepared Carrera's in it. I was running the Boxster spec car. It is lighter now by 100lbs or so than it was back then.

Bill Bodine and I will be dicing it up. He holds another class record out there in some 911 class. I'll be learning from him.

I grew up racing/autox'ing 914's (the main reason this club site exists..lol) moving into a Boxster was a NO brainer. It only took me a few laps to figure the course out.

B
SandyI
Very cool. If you figured out Streets in a few laps, I'll be learning from you. Took me two years. Who am I kidding? I'm still learning that back bowl. Plus, I've only run the long straight downhill into the chicane one other time so that will be an adventure too. Bill's a great driver. Wish I was that fast. I'll look for you in pit lane between run groups. I run with the slower guys in the Blue group. I usually pit with Otto and his crew near the top of pit lane by Otto's beater Dodge van.

See you there. rocking nana.gif
SandyI
You did a 1:32.9! No wonder they signed you off after 3 laps.

Very freakin' fast, dude. beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
I know Otto well!! I would like for him to instruct me sometime that weekend. I asked Jackie Ginsburg to drive the car and show me "her line" during lunch. She showed me two good pointers that helped me nail down better times in the afternoon.

I had people asking me if the car was a 996 conversion..LOL I would say NO. Then they would ask if it was an BoxsterS?? ..NO.. I wouldnt let them ask about the 2.7 before I would tell them it is a BONE STOCK 2.5 through the stock muffler and stock air cleaner/stock Cats. At that point in time it still had a working radio/heat and power windows..LOL

I forget how I did at Fontana during the Tribute. My lap times were decent in practice but I dont recall "nailing" the timed runs.

I had never run Fontana when I ran the TT during Tribute. I'm pretty sure I was 1-2 seconds faster than the other Boxster Spec car that didnt have PRO drivers. Craig Stanton was 3-4 seconds faster than me in his Spec car.

B
SandyI
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2006, 02:50 PM) *

I know Otto well!! I would like for him to instruct me sometime that weekend. I asked Jackie Ginsburg to drive the car and show me "her line" during lunch. She showed me two good pointers that helped me nail down better times in the afternoon.

Just saw Otto this AM. He's working on my tranny rebuild. He's a great teacher. Showed me a new line through the bowl counter-clockwise that cut my time at least a second, maybe more. Jackie's nice too. Had her as an instructor before I got my Short Track license. She's now working with Werks II in Burbank.

Definitely come up and visit us under Otto's awning during the weekend.
Brad Roberts
Who is other lady who runs a 914?? Shorter lady.. helps out with POC admin stuff. Her and Jackie run around together. I forget her name...every time!!

She sat in on the initial talks for the Boxster Spec class.

B
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2006, 02:50 PM) *

B

John W (Otto) was my first and best instructor ever. He was yelling at me all the way around the Streets. He called me a cowboy, etc. When I returned the next day I really had listened to what he said. His first session on the second day with me he looked at me and said "damn you listened to me! I dont need to ride with you anymore".

Otto knows the lines on that track better than most. I let him drive my car and we were catching Turbo 996's in my completely bone stock 914. I wont repeat what he was yelling as we were on the 996 turbo's bumper and the guy lifted through the chicane! biggrin.gif

If there is something I miss about So Cal its going to John's shop and talking 914's.
Brad Roberts
Ut oh.. I yell also when instructing..LOL

I REALLY experimented there a couple of Friday's back during the "open" track day. I started playing with "induced" understeer in the Boxster to slow the car down instead of using the brakes in 2 corners. It worked! I felt like I was overcooking the rears so to back off on them, I induced understeer in two corners. This backed off on the abuse the rears were taking.

B
drew365
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2006, 03:14 PM) *

Who is other lady who runs a 914?? Shorter lady.. helps out with POC admin stuff. Her and Jackie run around together. I forget her name...every time!!

She sat in on the initial talks for the Boxster Spec class.

B

Caroline Pappas, a real sweetheart. She's finally figureing out you can push all the way down on the right pedal. biggrin.gif
sww914
I was at streets once when Otto instructed my friend's very, very timid brother. Otto isn't the most soft spoken guy around, to be sure, and my friend's brother is the kind of guy who needs a hug after every session.
Otto was yelling all the way around the track- GAS! GAS! BRAKES! BRAKES! TURN! TURN! HIT THE F&*$%ING GAS! HIT THE F^%$^ING BRAKES! HONK AT THIS F$#%$ING A$$HOLE TO GET OUT OF THE WAY! Yelling out the widow at another guy GET THE F&^%K OUT OF THE WAY!
It was absolutely hillarious, the funniest thing I've ever seen at the track. My friend's brother got out of the car and he was completely white as a ghost and shaking.
Now he'd been running for 2 years and hadn't improved a bit, but Otto took almost 10 seconds off of his laptimes in 1 session!
Too funny.
I, too would love to have him as an instructor. He's my kind of a guy.
campbellcj
I'm signed up for Sunday 11/5. Have to dust-off the cobwebs from the car and do some brake maintenance. The car and I have not seen much track time at all the last 2 years.
Brad Roberts
Stop the presses!! Mr.Campbell is going to run his sweet car!!

Look forward to hanging out with you Chris clap56.gif

B
campbellcj
Woohoo, I am actually loaded up and ready to go. I think this is my first event all year unless my memory is worse than I thought.

Did some work on the car today too - installed speed bleeders and flushed+bled brakes, put on the Hoosiers after that, cut-out the petty bar from the rollcage so POC will let me carry passengers/students/instructors (that was a BEOTCH), touched-up the rollcage paint, installed some SFI-rated padding, put on some DLee rear tow hooks/tie-downs, and (lamely) applied some sweet new graphics from MikeZ. WHEW, I'm tired and dirty.

See y'all in the a.m.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.