Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tour of South Mountain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
Hey, I just got a note about this year's post Turkey Day run. I did this last year in the Orange Shark and it was a real hoot. We had some cool old sports cars, a few modern performance cars, but no 914's. So, if you'd rather go out driving on some mountain roads than claw and fight with the Black Friday shoppers, come on out to Smithsburg. A good time will be had by all.

Here's the note...

On the Saturday after Thanksgiving (Nov 25) there will be a return of the "Tour of South Mountain".

This will be a Time Speed Distance Rallye that will include a odometer check/transition zone/ familiarization with route instructions in addition to route of approximately 2 hours.

The meeting place will be at Smithsburg High School, Smithsburg, Md, with the tentative time of 9-9:15 AM with a lunch at the end of the rallye.

Further information will be available soon, but mark your calendar.
VaccaRabite
I just drove through Smithburg today. I'd be interested in the TSD rally, but I would have to so it in my scooby, unless someone needed a navigator with a GPS. Hint HINT!

Zach

PS, given that the trees in Glenco PA were every color of fall, your foliage in Hagarstown should kick ass by the end of next week or so.

zymurgist
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 8 2006, 08:40 PM) *

I just drove through Smithburg today. I'd be interested in the TSD rally, but I would have to so it in my scooby, unless someone needed a navigator with a GPS. Hint HINT!

Zach

PS, given that the trees in Glenco PA were every color of fall, your foliage in Hagarstown should kick ass by the end of next week or so.

Heck, I'd volunteer to be a navigator in a 914. I've done the rallye by myself in the Shark... still have a love/hate relationship with the 911 (love it when it shifts right, which is sometimes)... doesn't stop me from driving both of them on nice days.

I took the 911 out this morning... originally I was just running up to Wal-Mart and Lowe's (10 minutes away in Rouzerville), and that turned into a run up Old Forge Road (leads to a nice mountain road with a couple of switchbacks), and that turned into a blast up US 30 towards Gettysburg, back down US 15 into Maryland, lunch at Chubby's BBQ, then home. Mowed the grass with my vintage 1970 John Deere 140 (with chrome hubcaps), then I drove the Orange Shark back up to Pa... stopped in Quincy at an ice cream stand called Twin Kiss for a malt, then on up to Chambersburg to watch the skydivers. Beautiful day to be out... don't know how many more days I can go out with the T-tops off.
type47
so a loop thru summit point wasn't possible? you might have liked the 914 race cars participating. from a stock 73 2.0 d-jet to extreme windshield cut-off tube frame rocket that won the sprint race. you need more P-car input to get you away from things like orange cars.... laugh.gif
plas76targa
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 8 2006, 04:05 PM) *

The meeting place will be at Smithsburg High School, Smithsburg, Md, with the tentative time of 9-9:15 AM with a lunch at the end of the rallye.

Can't beat that start time - as close to 9:14 and any.

Ken - I'm in - give's me plenty of time to have the car back on the road (it's Long overdue). If I can't get one of my kids to join me, I'll have an opening for a co-pilot. And I HAVE a gps!
zymurgist
icon_bump.gif

Bumping the original thread. Anybody interested, PM me.
carr914
I don't want to hijack your thread, but have any of you guys heard of an outfit in Scranton called Weekend Rides Rick Bulis. Wondered if any of you had done business with him?
Thanks, T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.