Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extra fan blower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PORobinSCHE
drunk.gif Greetings, i have a fan mounted on top of the left side of the motor. i am guessing it is for forcing air thru the heating tract. wouldn't that also suck in any fumes from the engine compartment?
I don't think i have much need for the heating system. even toying with trading out the exhaust that has the heat exchangers to just a plain header.
i am wondering if the fan would be any help directing air to the motor instead. or should i just remove the whole thing?

thanks beerchug.gif

Robin
Chris Pincetich
Yeah, when the engine is at low speeds the fan forces most of the air for heating/defrost down through the J tubes through the heat exchangers (HE) through the valve flapper box thingys and into the heater tubes in the longs. The only way exhaust should enter is if your heat exchangers are leaking on the insides or at the seams and sucking in exahust there. I just removed and cleaned out my J tubes and ducting during SS HE install and there was a lot of crud in there. When I had the old rusty leaky HE I took the tube from the flapper to the firewall off and covered that hole to prevent any bad gases entering the cabin. Those crudy steel HEs were heavy! SS HEs and headers are light! I don't think blowing air into the stock intake would help much. beerchug.gif
PORobinSCHE
guess i'll just remove the blower and plug the holes. welder.gif

thank you

Robin
PORobinSCHE
hello,,, well pulled the blower off tonight. i am getting warm air from the HE tube into the engine compartment. why??? do i need to cap the pipes? or just get the saw out and cut off the heat exchanger?

thanks again

Robin beer3.gif
2-OH!
Yes...You will get heat into the engine compartment from the H/E's unless you cap off the J-Tubes...The motor fan blows into the H/E's via the engine cooling blower fan at the front of the engine...

2-OH!
PORobinSCHE
anyone have a nifty idea on how to plug the holes? welder.gif
bd1308
Expanding foam will definately plug hoes
alpha434
Easy. Use a force field generator to creat a force field and duct the cool air from outside in.

It all depends on quality. Low quality=duct tape. High quality=aluminum plate, or something else.
PORobinSCHE
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 11 2006, 08:24 PM) *

Expanding foam will definately plug hoes

will heat be an issue ? i have plenty of spray foam available. clap56.gif
bd1308
I think the foam might expand too much and impede flow
2-OH!
I have one cap I will donate...All you add is a screw clamp...

It fits on top of the J-Tube with a screw clamp and your done..But you will need to find one more for the other side...

With all the tear-downs, scrapping, turning into racers, someone in the classified section is bound to have one more...It's such an insignificant piece, most folks are probably throwing them away...

Give me an address and let me know...

OH yea...one other thing...Removing the electric fan, capping tubes, etc...will mess with your defrost capabilities, even in warm, humid climates...

2-OH!
2-OH!
Oh yea...Also, DO NOT use foam...The motor/H/E's get too hot...My opinion would be that you would be making a mess, smell, fire hazard...

2 cents...

2-OH!
bd1308
Yeah, that foam thing was more of a comical suggestion. I see a bunch of toxic smoke, and a impeller full of foam.
PORobinSCHE
thank you for the cap! you'll be nominated for knighthood soon!!

pm sent clap56.gif
Dave_Darling
IIRC, a spray can lid fits almost perfectly... Plus they're available in a wide variety of colors!!

--DD
McMark
Ya beat me to it Dave. Old school trick.
PORobinSCHE
boldblue.gif
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 13 2006, 02:51 AM) *

IIRC, a spray can lid fits almost perfectly... Plus they're available in a wide variety of colors!!

--DD

is heat going to be an issue on the plastic caps? then again, i do have plenty of various colors!

does anyone else have a metal cap. i have one on the way....
Dave_Darling
The stock ones (used on the 73-74 cars to block off the passenger's side J-tube) were plastic. Probably not the same as a spray-can lid, but still plastic. I would be a bit surprised if a lid melted there--at least, in the short term. Probably if you ignore it for 5 years...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.