Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Question about my starting problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mamacita
I posted about the carb problem here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=61777
That's been resolved but then we found out that the gear on the starter is sheared off (forgive me if I'm wording anything wrong...I'm an extreme novice).

We're getting a new starter shipped to us since it's under warranty still. We put the other starter in, so I don't think it'll be an issue for us to install the new one. If the shipping last time was any indication, we'll be receiving it around Tuesday.

Here's my real question:
We don't see the parts (teeth?) of the gear laying on the garage floor. Does that mean that the pieces are in the flywheel, tranny or some other important component of my car?

If so, what do we need to do to take care of the problem?

Help??
Stacie headbang.gif
Mamacita
QUOTE(Mamacita @ Oct 8 2006, 08:35 PM) *

Here's my real question:
We don't see the parts (teeth?) of the gear laying on the garage floor. Does that mean that the pieces are in the flywheel, tranny or some other important component of my car?

If so, what do we need to do to take care of the problem?

Help??
Stacie headbang.gif

Any thoughts on this guys? I'm afraid it's going to get buried.

John is afraid that we'll get the new starter on but that there will be other problems caused by the missing gear.
Stacie
PORobinSCHE
the teeth should still be inside the bell housing. you may have to back off the motor from the tranny and use a magnet to fish out the pieces. or if the gods are smiling on you try using the magnet thru the starter hole.
either way the broken teeth had to fall somewhere...
So.Cal.914
Did you check the flywheel thru the starter hole to see if the gear was damaged

also? If it were me I would back the trans off and check the flywheel and remove

the teeth. You can try to fish the teeth out with a retrieval magnet and rotate the

engine and check the gear thru the starter hole.
Mamacita
John & I are absolute novices. Is backing the transmission off to check the flywheel something that might be within our scope of ability or should we let someone else do it?

I think John is going to try to get down to a parts store today to see about getting a magnet. Is what he's looking for actually called a retrieval magnet? I found myself wishing for another few inches on my already long fingers so I could feel the bottom of (what I assume is) the bell housing.

I always get such great advice & input from this board. I really appreciate you all.
Stacie burnout.gif
URY914
I doubt the teeth are just laying somewhere waiting to be picked up. I think your flywheel, which is cast iron and harder than a whore's heart, wore the starter gear teeth down to nothing. Your flywheel acted like a grinder to chew up the teeth on the starter.
Mamacita
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 9 2006, 11:03 AM) *

I doubt the teeth are just laying somewhere waiting to be picked up. I think your flywheel, which is cast iron and harder than a whore's heart, wore the starter gear teeth down to nothing. Your flywheel acted like a grinder to chew up the teeth on the starter.

It was an almost brand new starter. It had probably started the car only a couple dozen times. Is your suggestion still plausible with this info?

Stacie confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I assume your starter was a rebuilt? Most independent rebuilders replace only the parts needed to make it work. They don't replace ALL the parts. Sounds like the starter engaged while the motor was running, or didn't disengage when the key was released. Use a Bosch factory rebuilt unit and you will have no worries in that department.

Good luck
Mamacita
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 9 2006, 04:34 PM) *

I assume your starter was a rebuilt? Most independent rebuilders replace only the parts needed to make it work. They don't replace ALL the parts. Sounds like the starter engaged while the motor was running, or didn't disengage when the key was released. Use a Bosch factory rebuilt unit and you will have no worries in that department.

Good luck

It was rebuilt. Thankfully it's still covered under the warranty & we have another on its way to us now.

John said that a Bosch isn't an option with the V6 we have in there.

I think he's still planning on getting a retrieval magnet and we'll go fishing in the bell housing for any parts & pieces that might be in there. We'll do that before we get the new starter installed.

I can't tell you how much we appreciate the info we're finding here.
Stacie
URY914
Can you post a close up picture of the starter's gear? That will tell the story.

I still don't think the teeth "broke off", they were ground down to nothing by the flywheel. You may also have chewed up some of the teeth on the flywheel so you need to check that out. With the starter out you can use a flashlight and look in the hole where the starter goes and see the flywheel. Rotate the engine around and look and inspect the flywheel for damage.
Eric_Shea
Sounds like the starter engaged while the motor was running, or didn't disengage when the key was released.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.