Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some tranny advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Redracer
I have a tailshifer that I'm rebuilding. I have a few questions.

1 Pressing on new dog teeth: Off is no problem? But pressing the new teeth on! do I heat them on a hot plate, and press on with lock tite?? Anything else I need to do, Stake them in? I have found no info about this on the web.

2 I have found 1 of the shims behind the pinion gear to be damages from either too much end play, or thrust load. I'm assuming these are for adjusting end play on the pinion shaft? What is the End play, and I'm guessing I use a feeler guage to set it between one of the gear sets??

3 I'm moving the gear assembly including the ring and pinion over to another case, since the original was cracked at the bellhousing due to some impact in a collision. Are preoads on the diff bearings the same from case to case or do I need to reset them?
4 THe gaskets at the intermediate plate I believe are for setting pinion back lash? Do I go with the same gaskets thicknesses?

Thanks in advance

Al Hafner
TROJANMAN
put the gear in the freezer and the dogs on the range. things should slip on easy enough, but you may need to tap it on with a small brass hammer

taking the dog teeth off, you can use a slim chisel. it won't matter to much, if you are not reusing the same teeth
Dr Evil
Hey Al,
First welcome.png

Now, your questions concern me as they seem to demonstrate a lack of some of the basic fundamentals of rebuilding the 901. Please do not take that as discouragement or a put down, only an observation form your questions.

My first piece of advice would be to take it slow as you will be needing to read a bit more and asking a lot more questions so that this does not go bad.

For some more reference please see my friend James' article here:
http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/rebuild/

Also, please see my link in my signature about tranny rebuilding. You may find a few nuggets in there.

For your questions:

"1 Pressing on new dog teeth: Off is no problem? "

Off is no problem if you have the tool to do it. Like many things you can "improvise", but this lends you to potential problems arrising later.

"But pressing the new teeth on! do I heat them on a hot plate, and press on with lock tite?? Anything else I need to do, Stake them in?"

NO! No staking, no lock tight, nada. Again, the same tool to remove is the one that should be use to install the new ones so as to not damage them. They are interferance fit so no need for goops and glues.

"2 I have found 1 of the shims behind the pinion gear to be damages from either too much end play, or thrust load. I'm assuming these are for adjusting end play on the pinion shaft?"

The shims on the end of the pinion shaft just behind the bearing are for setting the pinion depth. This is a critical dimention that regards the way the pinion and the ring gear interface. I would like to see pics of the damaged shim so I can better help you. Your descripiton sounds a bit odd to me and I do not want to steer you in the wrong direction.

"What is the End play, and I'm guessing I use a feeler guage to set it between one of the gear sets??"

There is no standard end play. I am assuming that you are probably referring to pinion depth, correct? This dimention is set at the factory. To set it anew usually requires either an advanced knowledge of how things work in the tranny, and/or a $20K tool that only a few shops have.

"3 I'm moving the gear assembly including the ring and pinion over to another case, since the original was cracked at the bellhousing due to some impact in a collision. Are preoads on the diff bearings the same from case to case or do I need to reset them?"

It is a good idea to keep pinion, diff with ring gear, and intermediate plates together. Variances in case dimentions are negligable, IMHO so you should be OK there. The diff bearings should be fine.

"4 THe gaskets at the intermediate plate I believe are for setting pinion back lash? Do I go with the same gaskets thicknesses?"

Yes, the gaskets set the finer pinion depth. It is best to use gaskets of the same thickness as the ones that came off. Only the gaskets between the intermdiate plate and case require this consideration.

I hope I answered all of your quesitons. Please keep them coming as we all want your tranny rebuild to conclude successfully thumb3d.gif

Redracer
Thanks for the tips, I have the tool to pull the engagement teeth. And will do the freezer trick, etc. Thanks for the link to the article.

Al
jr91472
Ah...Redracer...

from where in our great state do you hail???

welcome!!!!!

beer.gif
dmenche914
to set up a ring and pinion in a new cas, you either need the speical fixture, or dry build it with bluing ont eh ring gear, rotate by hand, and check gear contact area, then adjsut pinion, or ring gear postion based on pattern of contact on blueing. Some automotive books detail this. it can be time consuming, but it critical for a long life, and quite ring and pinion.
the tolerances on cases are such that when swaping cases, the ring an dpinion need to be re-set with this type of test for each case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.