Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planning first autocross. Stockton, Ca. Oct 29th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Michael N
Planning to drive in my first autocross in a few weeks in Stockton. This will be my first time out and I want to make it fun. From everything I have read it seems that I will need to buy a helmet, wear pants (not shorts) and long sleave shirt. I believe there will be a tech inspection in the morning prior to running to make sure car is safe. Other than showing up and registering what am I missing? Please help w/ tips for a newbie.
DanT
QUOTE(Michael N @ Oct 9 2006, 12:26 PM) *

Planning to drive in my first autocross in a few weeks in Stockton. This will be my first time out and I want to make it fun. From everything I have read it seems that I will need to buy a helmet, wear pants (not shorts) and long sleave shirt. I believe there will be a tech inspection in the morning prior to running to make sure car is safe. Other than showing up and registering what am I missing? Please help w/ tips for a newbie.

PCA or SCCA?
Michael N
PCA.

Stockton Autocross Link

Yes, I am a member and current.
ConeDodger

Hi Michael,
I will be one of the people putting on that event so I am somewhat qualified to handle your questions.

I think you may have been reading our other disscussion and have some mistaken impressions of what you need.

First I will address your question about attire. Although wearing long pants and long sleeve shirts may keep you warm on the cool October morning it isn't a rule per se. That is more of a track thing. You do not need to buy a helmet. We can provide you with one as long as you bring a valid drivers license which we will hold on to until you return the helmet. Find out if you like doing this before spending your money. A good pair of shoes that allows you to interface with the pedals is a good idea. Not too bulky but not bare foot or flip flops either. Athletic shoes will do fine.

Next your car. It has to be safe. When we tech it we are looking to see that your wheel bearings are good, your tires have tread, your battery is firmly mounted, and your seatbelts are adequate and your brakes are firm. As much as possible, empty out the car. Not good to have empty bottles of gatorade flying about during a run. You have enough to think about. Pump your tires up to about 36 psi cold and we can talk about which way to go when we see what kind of tires you have. Preflight checklist for the beginner is check oil level and bring some, check brake fluid level, tire pressure check and higher than normal street pressure fill. 36 psi is a good place to start. Take the skateboard out of the trunk too!

We the autocrossers run the event. Meaning that you may be a contestant but you also work here. We have several jobs that you might be asked to do but as a first timer you are more likely going to asked to pick cones. This job involves standing out in the course area with a flag and a radio. If a car hits a cone you reset it and call it in to the trailer so the offending driver gets his or her just penalty of one second for this cone abuse. If an unsafe situation develops you have a red flag to stop the cars on the course until it is safe to continue. Don't stop the course though because you cannot get to a cone before the next driver comes. That driver has the option to stop and point at the cone and get a rerun if he or she feels they might get charged with the cone or that it was in the course and effects their time. Keep alert on course. I cannot count the times we have to yell to course workers that a cone has been knocked over when it happened right in the surrounding 30 feet of them. Eyes on the cars. Autocross is a safe event but that doesn't mean you can ignore the cars. They are being operated at the edge of control. Watch them.

You will be provided with an instructor. You may be invited to ride with your instructor in his or her car but for sure the instructor will ride with you in yours. Make sure your passenger side has operating seat belts as well. The instructor will give you not so gentle instruction about when to turn in and when to brake, when to go like hell etc... The point is to become a better driver and to have fun. Above all, even if you don't feel like you are getting better have fun. If not, find some other way to spend your weekend. Arrive early and walk the course a couple of times. Imagine that you are driving your car. Where would you brake? Where would you turn? Which way through a slalom? Steve Nieslony often does what we call a rookie herd. He walks the course with all the newcomers and chats about what he would do at each point in the course. Don't miss this opportunity. He is very talented and you can learn a great deal in a short time.

If you are bringing that bumblebee in your avatar look for the other bumblebee and that will be me. I will answer questions as I can but I do have to set up the course and timer and such.

PCA has a really good autocross instructional on the national site. Skim over it but you don't need to memorize it yet. First attend an event and see if this is for you...

Good luck.
Michael N
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 9 2006, 01:07 PM) *

Hi Michael,
I will be one of the people putting on that event so I am somewhat qualified to handle your questions.

I think you may have been reading our other disscussion and have some mistaken impressions of what you need.

First I will address your question about attire. Although wearing long pants and long sleeve shirts may keep you warm on the cool October morning it isn't a rule per se. That is more of a track thing. You do not need to buy a helmet. We can provide you with one as long as you bring a valid drivers license which we will hold on to until you return the helmet. Find out if you like doing this before spending your money. A good pair of shoes that allows you to interface with the pedals is a good idea. Not too bulky but not bare foot or flip flops either. Athletic shoes will do fine.

Next your car. It has to be safe. When we tech it we are looking to see that your wheel bearings are good, your tires have tread, your battery is firmly mounted, and your seatbelts are adequate and your brakes are firm. As much as possible, empty out the car. Not good to have empty bottles of gatorade flying about during a run. You have enough to think about. Pump your tires up to about 36 psi cold and we can talk about which way to go when we see what kind of tires you have. Preflight checklist for the beginner is check oil level and bring some, check brake fluid level, tire pressure check and higher than normal street pressure fill. 36 psi is a good place to start. Take the skateboard out of the trunk too!

We the autocrossers run the event. Meaning that you may be a contestant but you also work here. We have several jobs that you might be asked to do but as a first timer you are more likely going to asked to pick cones. This job involves standing out in the course area with a flag and a radio. If a car hits a cone you reset it and call it in to the trailer so the offending driver gets his or her just penalty of one second for this cone abuse. If an unsafe situation develops you have a red flag to stop the cars on the course until it is safe to continue. Don't stop the course though because you cannot get to a cone before the next driver comes. That driver has the option to stop and point at the cone and get a rerun if he or she feels they might get charged with the cone or that it was in the course and effects their time. Keep alert on course. I cannot count the times we have to yell to course workers that a cone has been knocked over when it happened right in the surrounding 30 feet of them. Eyes on the cars. Autocross is a safe event but that doesn't mean you can ignore the cars. They are being operated at the edge of control. Watch them.

You will be provided with an instructor. You may be invited to ride with your instructor in his or her car but for sure the instructor will ride with you in yours. Make sure your passenger side has operating seat belts as well. The instructor will give you not so gentle instruction about when to turn in and when to brake, when to go like hell etc... The point is to become a better driver and to have fun. Above all, even if you don't feel like you are getting better have fun. If not, find some other way to spend your weekend. Arrive early and walk the course a couple of times. Imagine that you are driving your car. Where would you brake? Where would you turn? Which way through a slalom? Steve Nieslony often does what we call a rookie herd. He walks the course with all the newcomers and chats about what he would do at each point in the course. Don't miss this opportunity. He is very talented and you can learn a great deal in a short time.

If you are bringing that bumblebee in your avatar look for the other bumblebee and that will be me. I will answer questions as I can but I do have to set up the course and timer and such.

PCA has a really good autocross instructional on the national site. Skim over it but you don't need to memorize it yet. First attend an event and see if this is for you...

Good luck.

Thanks for the additional info. I am looking forward to this event. I will not be driving my Bumblebee, but rather a 914/6 which is not as pretty and can handle some abuse.
914forme
Rob is correct on all accounts. Great Explanation clap56.gif

I can add a few things, I have auto-xed for years took some time off and came back. My region used to require long pants for auto-x, so I am used to them, and wear them, at most events, thou when the pavement is 100 - 130-degrees, a pair of shorts help a little.

Bring Sun screen and a hat You might not be a hat wearer, I am not, but I find my head likes me better the next day. My reverse Mohawk really like to look like a lobster after a day out on the pavement. Bring water, thou my club provides it, I like having a big jug, that way if I run first then work, I have water while in the grid. I leave it in the grid, do not take it with you. biggrin.gif

Come to have fun, learn the car. I actually now run all my cars at various events, I like to learn them and how they each handle, it is a good accident avoidance training.

I am anal, so I keep lots of notes on my car and what it is doing, setting changes and there effects, etc..... So I have a pen with me an a notebook. Might need to pack a lunch, and a snack, each event is different so Rob might be able to tell you about those details.

Then if you like it start getting the proper equipment SA2005 helmet, is really the most specialized piece you will need. And if you are hooked, just open your wallet and say ahh, because you ain't gonna have any casha left. biggrin.gif

Get out have fun

Chris Pincetich
Michael N - what were you waiting for? 914s are best when driven near the limits, safetly at an AX. I should be there, planning on it now. In fact, maybe we should caravan out there early from the bay area. My first AX was earlier this summer and it was a lot of fun thanks to the helpful 914club folks. I'm hoping to go to Santa Rosa this weekend, but might be there for only half of the session. I just installed SS HEs and WEVO tranny mounts - lost about 20 lbs and gained better shifting and a louder exhaust! driving.gif
Michael N
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 9 2006, 07:02 PM) *

Michael N - what were you waiting for? 914s are best when driven near the limits, safetly at an AX. I should be there, planning on it now. In fact, maybe we should caravan out there early from the bay area. My first AX was earlier this summer and it was a lot of fun thanks to the helpful 914club folks. I'm hoping to go to Santa Rosa this weekend, but might be there for only half of the session. I just installed SS HEs and WEVO tranny mounts - lost about 20 lbs and gained better shifting and a louder exhaust! driving.gif

I don't know what I was waiting for....although I've only had the /6 since May. The Bumblebee I was restoring is technically my wife's car was being rebuilt for sometime. I sold my 911SC to feed the addiction of 914's. I work in retail so often have to miss events since many of them are on Saturday, including the monthly breakfast in bay area. I was hoping for the Trackmasters event in October that was starting to develop for 914s to maybe get some track time at Thunderhill, but the event never went any further than planning. Next spring I'll do the ground school and drivers education. I think the main thing holding me up was that the only family day I have with wife and kids (ages 1 and 3) is Sunday and feel selfish to spend it entirely on myself. The grandparents of my kids live in Stockton so this is a good compromise. I go have fun, and the kids get the day w/ grandparents. Guilt free for me. driving.gif

I will be going in the night before staying at the inlaws. I look forward to meeting you both ChrisNPDrider and Rotten Robby.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Michael N @ Oct 9 2006, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 9 2006, 07:02 PM) *

I don't know what I was waiting for....although I've only had the /6 since May. The Bumblebee I was restoring is technically my wife's car was being rebuilt for sometime. I sold my 911SC to feed the addiction of 914's. I work in retail so often have to miss events since many of them are on Saturday, including the monthly breakfast in bay area. I was hoping for the Trackmasters event in October that was starting to develop for 914s to maybe get some track time at Thunderhill, but the event never went any further than planning. Next spring I'll do the ground school and drivers education. I think the main thing holding me up was that the only family day I have with wife and kids (ages 1 and 3) is Sunday and feel selfish to spend it entirely on myself. The grandparents of my kids live in Stockton so this is a good compromise. I go have fun, and the kids get the day w/ grandparents. Guilt free for me. driving.gif

I will be going in the night before staying at the inlaws. I look forward to meeting you both ChrisNPDrider and Rotten Robby.

Good idea to bring lunch and hydration. Often you will only have a half an hour or so to scoot off and find food and the 'hood we are in down at the SJ County Fairgrounds isn't going to have too many food establishments that you will recognize. There is a KFC a few blocks away but most everything is pretty authentic Hispanic.
I think it was Chris that noticed the nail in my tire at Santa Rosa wasn't it?

Rob
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 9 2006, 01:07 PM) *

[Take the skateboard out of the trunk too!

I think you must have noticed the skateboard in my trunk. av-943.gif
beerchug.gif
Michael N
Yes, I'll take the skateboard out of the truck of the car. I know the Stockton skatepark and it is pretty small.

How many runs does a driver generally get in a day?

How much rain does it take to cancel a event? (not trying to jinx the event just wondering)
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Michael N @ Oct 10 2006, 08:49 PM) *

Yes, I'll take the skateboard out of the truck of the car. I know the Stockton skatepark and it is pretty small.

How many runs does a driver generally get in a day?

How much rain does it take to cancel a event? (not trying to jinx the event just wondering)

With us at Stockton you will usually get six runs. Three morning Three afternoon. We usually use an entrance just beyond the timer so you get a one lap look at the course before going on the timer for you run.

Rain has not been as much of a late season factor as an early season factor. But if it does rain you owe us a $1000 for the lot rental for jinxing us. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Rain racing is a hoot. we run until the timers trip from too much rain or float off. Setting them on milk crates seemed to help a bunch.
Lightenting is the only thing that gets us running for shelter. (in your car is best)

Get a rider for your runs that knows what's up. The rider can help you with course navigation, brake harder brake later more gas turn earlier
(or are those just the mistakes I make)

Camel back type hyrdation systems are wonderfull.
a thin piece of foam 1 to 2" thick just incase you don't fit under the targa top with a helmet on. take out the stock cushion and sit on foam piece.
914forme
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 11 2006, 07:24 AM) *

a thin piece of foam 1 to 2" thick just incase you don't fit under the targa top with a helmet on. take out the stock cushion and sit on foam piece.

You use foam, I sit on the fiberglass shell bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif I have been thinking about foam, but then........ I have enough padding back there to make up for some foam.
sww914
Some things somebody always needs at the track or an A/X:
Water
Paper towels
Glass cleaner
Water
Brakleen
Blue masking tape for numbers, protecting edges, etc.
Nobody can ever find the white shoe polish
Water
Zip ties
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.