Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This 914 - 4 is a Rocket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Watch the video

http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=4691758296819443654

This 914-4 is a rocket ...
Any information about this car ? Engine ?
DanT
Video information says 2.2L Fat performance engine.

Looks like my friend Greg Braun...I believe he was the only 4 banger in attendance this year.

Can just see a bit of the Gulf Blue front fender and it sure looks like his driving suit in the video....

He has been driving that car for years. And he knows it very well.
johannes
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 9 2006, 12:46 PM) *

Looks like my friend Greg Braun...I believe he was the only 4 banger in attendance this year.

Can just see a bit of the Gulf Blue front fender and it sure looks like his driving suit in the video....

The car looks so fast. It passes other cars at acceleration so easely !.
I guess its has over 200 bhp.
You frined is an excellent driver too. clap56.gif
DanT
Don't know how much HP he has but I do know he keeps up with his wife on the track and she drives a 914-6GT clone with a 3.2L (and she started track driving before he did) smile.gif

It is probably more in the 150-160HP but it could be more. I have known that car before it became a track car. Belonged to a neighbor 3 doors down. His daughter drove it a couple of years and then wanted something a bit more reliable for college.
Greg bought it and has been driving and modding it ever since. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(johannes @ Oct 9 2006, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 9 2006, 12:46 PM) *

The car looks so fast. It passes other cars at acceleration so easely !.
I guess its has over 200 bhp.
You frined is an excellent driver too. clap56.gif

I think things can look deceptive in vintage racing sometimes especially during practice laps on a cold track. Appears he was turning lap times around 1:55 and he just barely hit 100 MPH on the the straights. Certainly fast for a 4 cylinder car, but not rocketship fast. It would have been interesting to see how much faster he was going during actual race.

Here are some Miata Cup cars taking laps on the same track. The Miata Cup cars dyno at about 150 to 160 HP at the rear wheels and weigh about 2550 lbs. This is fun because you can compare speeds between the 2.2 liter 914 and the 2.0 liter Mazda's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ke94oy_v-g
So.Cal.914
That is one tough little SOB, I love the carb sound, especially sence FI sucks

so bad. biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Flat VW
I am about to cry......., first the weather has changed to cooler here and now THIS!

John sad.gif

Aaron Cox
thats RACE914 no?

he has a fat motor and the only guy i know running IDA's
KaptKaos
Watching that acceleration graphic through the corkscrew is cool.
race914
Hi Guys,

Ya, that's me. ph34r.gif

I just put that video out on Google to show Brant how my VHS-C to Digital conversion was working. Didn't expect it to be "found" so fast! You guys are good!

My camcorder is old and on its last legs so the video quality is not good (video looked just as bad straight from my VCR to the TV). But if you guys are looking for an affordable way to get analog to digital from your camcorder, the VideoXpress from ADS is pretty good for around $50.

Grant is right, I was running around 55's the first session. Good news is, in a field of 54 cars in Small Bore Production, I qualified 15th for the afternoon sprint race with that time.

For the Afternoon Sprint Race, the Good news is I brought my times down to 53's and had moved from 16th to 12th before... (here's the Bad News) a car dropped a bunch of fluid in turn 9... The guy in front of me went off, and I barely kept control. With my tires 'lubed' I decided not to risk an off and end my weekend, so I came in after only 5 laps. Because of that I was gridded 46th for the main event Not a complaint, that's just racing!

Sunday morning practice was ok, ran 53's again and had the 12th fastest lap. (ran 52's last year but never had a lap with out traffic this year!)

Not finishing the qualifying sprint put me out of the running for placing well in the Sunday afternoon race, but it might have been one of the more fun sessions I've run! I had non-stop traffic but moved up 20 spots to 26th! I have that on tape and will try and convert some and post if anyone is interested.

johannes, thanks for the kind words! My four has FAT Performance Heads & Cam, SCAT Crank, Carillo Rods, Weber 48IDAs, Electromotive Crankfire and Tangerine racing Headers. Runs good for a four!
brant
awesome Greg!

really great
brant
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(race914 @ Oct 9 2006, 06:21 PM) *

Runs good for a four!

Good? Mine runs good, Your's runs (trying to pick the right word) incredable.

Whats the redline on that puppy?
race914
Thanks SoCal!

I try to shift at 6800 but my limiter is set at 7000 and I do hit is sometimes in the heat of battle.

Greg

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 9 2006, 06:54 PM) *

Runs good for a four!

Good? Mine runs good, Your's runs (trying to pick the right word) incredable.

Whats the redline on that puppy?

Aaron Cox
what did the motor cost? compression etc?

very cool. would be interestung to know whats inside it... as it looks like it does a fantastic job!!!

Jake Raby

Hi Guys,

johannes, thanks for the kind words! My four has FAT Performance Heads & Cam, SCAT Crank, Carillo Rods, Weber 48IDAs, Electromotive Crankfire and Tangerine racing Headers. Runs good for a four!

Great video!

I'd be willing to let you borrow some smaller carbs and manifolds..

I bet you'll make more power! I have seen engines Type 4 engines lose power with IDA carbs many times, they like the velocity and not the volume!

Let me know if you want to give it a try, I have picked up 20+HP on a 2.3L engine by going from a 48 IDA to a 44 IDF... Its happened dozens of times.. boldblue.gif
race914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 10 2006, 05:57 AM) *

Hi Guys,

Great video!

I'd be willing to let you borrow some smaller carbs and manifolds..

I bet you'll make more power! I have seen engines Type 4 engines lose power with IDA carbs many times, they like the velocity and not the volume!

Let me know if you want to give it a try, I have picked up 20+HP on a 2.3L engine by going from a 48 IDA to a 44 IDF... Its happened dozens of times.. boldblue.gif

Hi Jake,

I'm looking for a chassis dyno in my area and when I get some data, I'll give you a call. I'd like to talk over the 44 IDFs and any other improvements we may identify with my dyno run data.

Really appreciate the reply and the offer to help!

Greg
Jake Raby
Sure..
One thing that we have learned is that drivability is also paramount to consistent lap times.. Since the smaller carbs have better progression circuits as well as boosting velocity there should be more of a benefit on the track than on the chassis dyno.. Dynos can't measure drivability and we all know the importance of repetition on the track!

willing to help you spank sixes :-)
rhodyguy
is there some hidden trick to dling off youtube?

k
Allan
Super nice car.

wavey.gif Hi Greg...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.