Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal indicators wired wrong?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
What is wired wrong inside my tach? The turn signals (outside) work just fine. But inside the indicator arrows both flash at the same time no matter which way you are turning. I also am having the problem with the signals not cancelling out, even though the little tab on the back side of the wheel is installed properly. Works once in awhile, but not almost all of the time. Well, guess I got to have something to fuss over. confused24.gif Suggestions anyone???
DanT
what year car? the later years operated in that manner. Both arrows flash at the same time regardless of direction....
That way they only had to install one bulb instead of two with an appropriate 2nd circuit. dry.gif
Crazyhippy
My 70 is the same way... and only has 1 bulb for the signal indicators.

I thught the late cars had the 2nd circuit?

BJH
jk76.914
This thread should help. Explains how the flasher and indicator circuits work. It's not as straightforward as you'd think.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=47236&hl=

Anyway, I believe that the early ('70-'73.5) cars had the two turn signal indicators at the top of the tach- a left and a right. High beam is at the bottom. Sometime in '73 it switched over to one signal at the top left, and the high beam indicator at the top right. The one indicator served both directions.

If you read through the explanation in the thread, probable causes of your problem are:

- secondary relay in flasher busted. Need new flasher.

- you have lights that are drawing much less current than is required to energize the secondary relay. Are you using LED turn signal lights? That would do it. Either live with it, get rid of the LEDs, or add resistance in parallel with the LEDs to increase the load.

- wiring. Check the blue and white wire that comes from the flasher and goes to both indicator bulbs. Be sure it's not off or broken. If it is, both bulbs will flash together when either turn signal flashes.

- Another reason is if you have corrosion in the connections leading to the lights, or in the sockets themselves. Corrosion would limit the current in the circuit, maybe not enough to keep the bulbs off, but enough to prevent the secondary relay in the flasher to work. In this case, fix the corrosion and the indicators will start to work PLUS your directionals will be brighter.

good luck.

Jim
william harris
Thanks for the replies. My car is a very early production 74 and came with the 73 model year gauges and other goodies. Before the restoration, this is one thing that worked. There are definitely two bulbs, so I will run down the other suggestions. Will keep you posted.
So.Cal.914
Had the same problem, cleaned the grounds and the spade and fuse contacts on

the fuse panel and they, along with everything else that else that acted funny,

worked perfectly.
Dave_Darling
The early 74s have the 73 gauges with two indicators, and the wiring to only run one. So the factory simply bridged them together so both lights blink at the same time.

It's normal for your range of cars. You can change it, but it will take a bunch of re-wiring.

--DD
DanT
agree.gif
John
Two added wires to me was not a bunch of wiring.

Read the mentioned thread (above) and you will find the wiring schematic for the dual turn signal indicators taken directly from an old Panorama (and UpFixin).
william harris
I have printed out the schematic and this will be done. Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.