Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY Bilstein Rebuilding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
914forme
Anybody know how to rebuild a bilstein gas shock, I boiled the oil out of one of my rears tonight. headbang.gif headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
welding on it? or near it?

bilstein low end shcoks (914 app) arent rebuildable...

the nascar etc ones are "racer rebuildable" and you change valving on em too...

go that route with an alumium threaded body shock smile.gif and adapt it to fit (brand did the same with carerra or QA1 shocks)

AA
914forme
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 9 2006, 08:05 PM) *

welding on it? or near it?
AA

Nope slipped the sleave on and it got stuck, had to heat it to get it to move. It did not cool fast enough and boiled the shock. Bilstein will rebuild/ replace it for $65, looks like it might be a good option right now. But a more adjustable shock is always good. biggrin.gif Its times like this I relieze just how stupid I can be.....
Brad Roberts
Send them both back to Bilstein (In Poway near me) and ask them to step up on the rebound valving. The 914 rears are too soft. The bump is nice and stiff, but they are lacking in rebound.

B
Aaron Cox
see the other post - you bought the collars with the wrong ID.....

J P Stein
Aaron means well biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
I r Jay pee wannabee
914forme
"step up on the rebound valving"
Brad, with 175 linear springs what sould I ask them to step up too.
Aaron Cox
brett W has said the same thing about rebound too.....

i think he even listed a spec somewhere in the garage..... bad memory...
AA
Brad Roberts
Get the stock valving numbers from them when you call them. Only two guy's deal with the "Porsche" related shocks. I'll know what it needs to be set too when I hear the stock numbers. Right now all I can recall is RSR valving for the rear of a 911.

I used to send back "stock" rear 911 replacement shocks and have them valved with RSR bump but a softer rebound for PCA "stock" class cars..LOL

B
914forme
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 08:38 PM) *

I'll know what it needs to be set too when I hear the stock numbers. B

Numbers I got off Bilstein today where 219/32

Thanks again Brad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.