Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing the grip from parking brake handle.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marlow
Anyone have a clue how to remove the grip portion of a late model parking brake handle? The threaded rod snapped inside the push button (very strange place to break) and I'm trying to get it apart to make a new rod. For the life of me I can't get the grip portion to budge, anyone ever removed one?

I noticed that all the internal parts are available new so it has to come apart somehow.
firstknight13
smile.gif popcorn[1].gif me too i have the same problem anybody WTF.gif
dangrouche
mine was simply forced on; so pull it straight off if you can; after I pulled it off, it appeared to have been glued in place. remover your seat, spray some rustbuster into it , get a cloth and try pulling it straight off. replacing it was the reverse I think it was a jam fit.

Marlow
Success!!!

First I tried what Dangrouche said and nearly punched myself in the face unsure.gif when my rag slipped. That sucker is on tight!

Then I broke out the industrial hair-dryer and heated the sucker up a little. Put a rachet extension through the hole in the end of the handle, stood on the ends of the ratchet extension, gave a light yank, and presto, the handle pulled off. It does look like they glued it on.

Now, it certainly appears they didn't make this very servicable. In order to get the rod out you must grind the weld off the pawl pin, remove it and the pawl, then pry the handle open enough to slide out the rod. WTF were they thinking?

I think I'm just going to cut off the old threaded part, weld on a new section, thread it and make a new button from some 1/2" rod stock.

PRS914-6
It's glued on. Use a heat gun (not a hair dryer) and warm it up good. Take a wrench and set it so it slides over the shaft behind the grip. Wrap the wrench with a hammer and it will pop off.....

Or......slice it length wise with a cut off wheel and air grinder and you can peel it off
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.