Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You should probably stop when your rear brakes...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
laugh.gif

This is the worst I've ever seen. The pad backing is literally fused to the piston.

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Too much...

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Hey Goob, I smell sump'n com'n from yur rear end... blink.gif
gms
WTF.gif
So.Cal.914
Do you think they can be reused? huh.gif
Marlow
Back in my teenage years I worked for a garage that someone brought in a stake-body truck and said the front brakes were making noise. I watched as the mechanic pulled off the front wheels. The brakes were gone, the backing pads had eaten through the face of the rotor so the fins were exposed. The mechanic walked back into the office and asked the guy when it started making noise, his reply "just started a few days ago".
davep
Ah, just buff out that piston and it will be fine. rolleyes.gif

I have one where the face of the piston wore right through the pad backing, and was wearing on the rotor. It was when the CV joint bolts fell out and the drive shaft came loose that the driver had to park it for a while. The drive shaft whacked the gearshift rod preventing the tranny from being shifted or it might have gone back on the road quickly. The owner was an architect.
VaccaRabite
Last wednesday, while towing a boat to go crabbing, my finacee's pop and I heard somehting not quite right with his left front wheel.

Sunday (4 days later) we drove out to the mountians to move some furniture out of the deer camp. I heard the noise and asked about it. He said he felt dumb for not getting it looked into before hand (as we were going down a 1.5 mile downhill at a 14% grade). Pulled the wheel at camp, and the front brakes were GONE and the backing was scoring into the rotor. I am sure if we had tried to go back doen the mountian and then drive the 160 miles back home the liner would have welded itself to the rotor, or eaten clear through the rotor.

Always an adventure.

Zach
SLITS
Hmmmmmm ..... you found the elusive "Yellow Submarine" and took the rear brakes off I see. Exactly how long do you figure it was underwater?

Joe Bob
Do those belong to Britt?

Mueller
and to think that the owner of that might have breed and have offspring running around among us...it's frightening blink.gif
Eric_Shea
Exactly how long do you figure it was underwater?

Funny thing... heat does that to calipers. I have a 911 rear hear that was super heated. Super rusty too.

No... these probably had a working handbrake up until the moment of death lol3.gif
WaideS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 10 2006, 06:54 AM) *

Funny thing... heat does that to calipers. I have a 911 rear hear that was super heated. Super rusty too.

No... these probably had a working handbrake up until the moment of death lol3.gif

You said to send you my cores, I didn't think you'd call me out like this, GEEZ
BTW, very nice set you sent, all pretty black and everything
jsteele22

Rare !!! Vintage brake parts. From a Porsche ! This auction is for a set of extremely rare vinatge race car parts, from a Porsche. These parts are very, very rare. Bidding starts at $200. Don't miss out !

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea

Yeah, yeah... these weren't any Waider parts wink.gif

I don't think you have a set of my rear calipers yet... idea.gif

Hmmmmmmm eBay... idea.gif
bd1308
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 10 2006, 07:54 AM) *

I call Bullshit

no WAY those adjusters would have worked.
SLITS
QUOTE(WaideS @ Oct 10 2006, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 10 2006, 06:54 AM) *

BTW, very nice set you sent, all pretty black and everything

Funny, I thought your rear brakes were better looking ..... av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
I call Bullshit

no WAY those adjusters would have worked.

How did I get that piston out? confused24.gif

lol3.gif
bd1308
bc you had the damn piston clamped in a vice.

you got the piston out the same way i got mine out.

but you cant reuse that hideous excuse for a piston.
Eric_Shea
bc you had the damn piston clamped in a vice.

Nope... biggrin.gif

Don't make me draw some BDDI pics! dry.gif
bd1308
Draw some, show your talent. I double Dog dare ya!

there's NO way those adjusters worked. It looks like someone planted that caliper in the ground, waiting for a ATE brake caliper tree to grow.
Eric_Shea
In your feable defense... the inner adjuster didn't work.

The outer spun that piston right out.
Eric_Shea
Draw some, show your talent. I double Dog dare ya!

bd1308
I wish I had a setup like that dry.gif All I have is a 1/2 inch wrench and a large hammer.
John
Brutal.

Britt, you did literally ask for it just a few posts back........

bd1308
I'm still not buying that that piston just eased its way out with no trouble on either end.

Guess those came from a 20k original mile 914

That picture was really funny though. smile.gif

This? Brutal? Na....I've been through worse.
Eric_Shea
I'm still not buying that that piston just eased its way out with no trouble on either end.

OK... I'm lying. huh.gif
bd1308
I'll take your word on it, but its just hard to believe, thats all.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.