Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad News, Good News
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
Indulge me - it's been a couple weekends of great learning opportunities.

Bad news - main crank seal on my 2.7L has had a fair sized leak (like silver dollar sized spot after parking overnight) since I started using her as a daily ride about half a year ago

Good news - had a buddy and my dad up last weekend to help out

Bad news - when I pulled the tranny, pressure plate and clutch disc, the flywheel was shot - a few chipped teeth and lots fine cracking on the clutch disk surface. Pressure plate is rusted where it looks like the clutch disc seized to it at one point

Good news - PP lists early -6 flywheels as in stock for just over $400

Bad news - when you actually try to buy one, it substitutes a $700 flywheel

Good news - a google search on the flywheel part number turns up master auto parts, which has/had 4 in stock for $375

Bad news - when I pull the main seal, I find circumferential defect in the crank where the seal was

Good news - stoddard carries the correct speedisleeve.

Bad news - the requirement for all new parts makes the main seal change a 2 weekend project

Good news - I have a three day this weekend

Bad news - the correct speedisleeve is about 0.5cm too long

Good news - a sharp chisel followed by a hand file makes short work of 0.5cm of speedisleeve

Bad news - the upper bolt on the starter pulls out when I tighten it down

Good new - there are 3 more

Bad news - the opposite bolt in the lower passenger side also pulls out, making me do the right thing and repair them both today. Had to pull the dang tranny again.

Good news - Napa carries a M10x1.50 helicoil set. $45 out the door.

Bad news - 1st gear is tough to get into at a start

Good news - tranny is out, and I can R&R the gear set

Bad news - 1st gear slider is worn

Good news - Dr Evil has a good used one

Bad news - After pulling the 1st gear set, replacing the synchro and slider, 1st is still a buger to get into at a start

Good news - I had a chance to get same small tranny leaks fixed

Bad news - when I change the oil, only about 4 quarts of oil come out when I pull the line off the bottom of the tank

Good news - I have plenty of oil - throw in 8 quarts

Bad news - when I start the motor oil pukes out the tank breather

Good news - I had more than 4 quarts in the motor. Still not sure where the other 8 quarts are hiding. No way the lines and front cooler have that much (or do they).

All in all a good and typical for me couple weekends with the teener. Ended up fixing the main seal, which is good. And had a chance to get the other 911 half shaft on - now running both sides with 911 sporto tranny flange to 911 half shaft to 911 hub. Works great. Still gotta get the tranny figured out. Actually goes into 1st when shifted at the tranny - gotta be the linkage.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
So.Cal.914
It could be worse.. You could be pregnant... smile.gif
Gary
Now that would be different. Might have to call the pope on that one.

One more:

Bad news - I'm too old to be crawling around on the garage floor all day

Good news - An air compressor with an impact hammer and ratchet make you more productive than hand tools only at half your age biggrin.gif .
Aaron Cox
when the car sits.... oil backfeeds back into the case....

when you start it.. the scavenge pump puts it all back into the tank...

when you do an oil change on a 6... you gotta crack the bigline to the motor IIRC for that reason... to let it aaaaalll out
SLITS
If your using a stock -6 tank, lines and front mount cooler .... it will increase the "normal" 9 quarts to about 13 (4 quarts in the lines and cooler) ..... but then I don't know shit 'cause I can't get my 2.4L -6 conversion below 270 oil temp .....

besides that, my Bosch starter ate my ring gear and of course you know that the ring gear is not replaceable. So I can't start it to drive it on the lift ..... I'm to old to push it there.

Next

Gary
Iffn ya need a flywheel, these guys shipped the same day they swiped my card: Master Auto Parts..

I've got a 28 line brass carerra cooler up front and can't get the temp above 190 here in Washington. The highest it's been was early July in Encino. It was at least a 100 and going up a mild grade - oil temp peaked at 230.
Dr Evil
Man, you got some issues there.

I did the same thing with the oil. I didnt know that you have to fill it while running. About 4 qts into the air box biggrin.gif dry.gif
Gary
Fewer issues than before - beating them down!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.