Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Wheel Thread but I need your wisdom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
cbenitah
I have spent a whole week now going through many many threads about wheel size etc. I can't find the right answer, so for you that are sick of wheel threads sorry..

I can't find a 17" wheel I like, and I don't like the fuchs even though they may look great. I have found the perfect wheel and its 18", I talked to andyrew and Aaron as well, just need more info...

The wheel sizes are 18x8 and 18x10. 225-40-18 for the front and 255-35-18 for the rear. Anyone running this size wheels with GT Flares? 7" & 9"...

I would like to use the 10" if possible but could I use 18x8 on all 4 otherwise? and using a 245-40-18 in the rear?

Thanks for your time guys!
Aaron Cox
9" fuchs fit under stock GT flares......

i have seen 10's done.. but they might have been trimmed or widened a tad....

know anyone that would let you borrow one?

oh.. and late porsche wheels require LOTS of spacer.....

you want backspacing between 110-120mm
Mueller
got a tape measure and a straight edge??

that rear tire will be between 10" and 10.5" wide when mounted.....the rim itself will be over 10" wide measured face to face....you'll need to measure from the trunk wall to the flare lip...remember that when the suspension moves, the wheel will travel towards the inside trunk wall.

I'm pretty sure Joe O'brien is running 255's on 9's on the rear of his car, I'd ask him how much room he has between the trunk and the fender flare...of course each car is different and it depends on the install of your flares.

cbenitah
The offset of the wheel is 55mm.. late style porsche if I'm not misstaking. Inches gets me confused, the tire is in mm, the offset is in mm and the wheel is in INCHES? WTF.gif So if I'm reading this right, I need to have 11" between the inner wall and the outer wall?

How about using 18x8 on all 4?
Aaron Cox
8's on all corners works but isnt filling out the rear flare all the way smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 9 2006, 08:20 PM) *

The offset of the wheel is 55mm.. late style porsche if I'm not misstaking. Inches gets me confused, the tire is in mm, the offset is in mm and the wheel is in INCHES? WTF.gif So if I'm reading this right, I need to have 11" between the inner wall and the outer wall?

How about using 18x8 on all 4?

Yep, late offset....no reason you couldn't run the same 457.2mm X 203.2mm biggrin.gif on all 4 corners...one positive is that you can rotate your tires front to back..something you wouldn't be able to do with a smaller/wider combo.
cbenitah
haha, thanks Mueller for the euro conversion there.. You wrote the positive, what about the negative about using same size rim?

I was thinking 225-40-18 for front and 235(245?)-40-18 on the rear.. But then again I'm not a professional porsche (wheel) guy
Mueller
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 9 2006, 08:30 PM) *

haha, thanks Mueller for the euro conversion there.. You wrote the positive, what about the negative about using same size rim?

I was thinking 225-40-18 for front and 235(245?)-40-18 on the rear.. But then again I'm not a professional porsche (wheel) guy

only negatives I can think of is that you won't have the "bragging" rights of saying you got 9" or 10" rims in the back blink.gif

traction wise, yea, the wider tires might help....I'm running 245/40/17's mounted on 8" rims on all 4 corners under hammer-molested flares smash.gif
cbenitah
traction wise, yea, the wider tires might help....I'm running 245/40/17's mounted on 8" rims on all 4 corners under hammer-molested flares

So I could go with 245's in the rear on my 8" rim.. That would be ok with me. And when AA talks me into changing out my flares I can be one of the braggers laugh.gif

Thanks Mueller!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
i talked you outta nothing son...

you asked....

BTW your 1.8 of FURY will be lighting up 10" wheels in no time chairfall.gif

or not
cbenitah
I was waiting for that comment AA.. But then again, I am glad I'm taking care of the car's need first before I add the power plant..

For now I'm ok with going 40mph and look good until I change out that 1.8 of fury for X.X of fury..
jd74914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 9 2006, 11:40 PM) *

i talked you outta nothing son...

you asked....

BTW your 1.8 of FURY will be lighting up 10" wheels in no time chairfall.gif

or not

idk about that . . . with cheap non sticky tires the less pressure would cause less traction. happy11.gif
Wild 6
On standard flairs, I am running 255s on 9 inch rims for the street and 275s on 10 inch rims for the track. The wheels are 17s.
eeyore
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 9 2006, 08:40 PM) *

your 1.8 of FURY will be lighting up 10" wheels in no time chairfall.gif

Hey! That motor is so badass that it runs with all four fuel injectors disconnected from the FI harness.
cbenitah
QUOTE(Wild 6 @ Oct 10 2006, 09:56 AM) *

On standard flairs, I am running 255s on 9 inch rims for the street and 275s on 10 inch rims for the track. The wheels are 17s.

Hmm, interesting, would it be any difference in the width from your 17" 275 other then hight when its a 18 inch wheel?
turboman808
after I get the car repainted I'm gonna get some custom kinesis or fiske. Kinda leaning towards 17s. With 18s and a slany nose they just look to big.

But yeah I can't find off the shelf wheels with offsets I need so gonna have to get the 3 peice wheels made.
Wild 6
A 275/40/17 tire is approximately the same size as a 275/35/18. In the case of Dunlaps, they are identical in size.
Andyrew
What andy is saying is just what you need to hear.

The 10in rims WILL fit (that was what I was unsure of.. which is why I told you to ask andy.. I remember he measured it)

I would think that you can run 265 tires. BUT you will need to get spacers that fit it perfectly.. and yes.. this will cost $$ Figure at least 100 per spacer.
Wild 6
My 10" wheels are early 944 offset (at least I bought them off a 944 racer). I use a standard Porsche 13mm spacer on one side and a 7mm spacer on the other - typcial 914 lack of symmetry. The 10s have worked fine for the last 3 years.
turboman808
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 10 2006, 03:57 PM) *

BUT you will need to get spacers that fit it perfectly.. and yes.. this will cost $$ Figure at least 100 per spacer.

Would you beleive I bought 4 sets of spacers just so I could play with the offsets. biggrin.gif

But before I lay down cash for some really nice wheels I want to make sure everything is sets exactly how I want it. I can't imagine being more pissed off then buying brand new custom kinesis then having to slap on a sets of spacers. headbang.gif
JPB
Hope ya don't mind 4.5" tires a blazin by my 1.7 passed ya!

beer.gif
cbenitah
I know about the spacers, but where should I buy them and what size should I get? I will use the 10" since it fits smilie_pokal.gif Wheel offsets are 50 mm for fronts and 55mm for rear
McMark
Here's the measurements I took off a steel GT flared car. Every flare installation is going to be different slightly, and these measurements are rough. Don't forget to leave room for toe adjustment, etc. And now, without further ado....
cbenitah
Thanks McMark,
For us europeans that would translate to 273.05 millimeter wide. So a tire 265 millimeter would be fine I suppose.

Now how do I figure out the spacers? Do I need to physically have the wheel mounted or could one calculate that now?
Aaron Cox
cant find the site im looking for... BUT this is semi ontopic

Measuring Wheel Offsets

Wheel/tire-to-fender clearance issues are more commonplace now due to the popularity of stuffing very wide tires into existing bodywork. To assist in minimizing fender rubbing problems, here is a guide to finding wheel offsets to ensure that your wheel-tire combination will fit inside your bodywork without rubbing.

Backspacing is the dimension from the inner rim of the wheel to the mounting face and you will need to calculate this for proper fitment.

1) Divide your wheel's width by 2. This leaves you with the centerline of the wheel.

2) Find the backspacing by measuring the distance between the mounting face (where the wheel meets the hub) and the edge of the inner rim.

3) Suntract the backspacing distance from the centerline distance to find wheel offset.

4) Measure the distance between the mounting face on the hub to the fender. Use the measuring tape and a yardstick positioned vertically at the inner edge of the fender.

5) Measure the distance between the mounting face on the hub to the suspension. Use the measuring tape and a carpenter's square for accurate dimensions. Factor some extra space for tire clearance.

6) Measure the overall wheel width and with the above values, you can figure out what width wheel you can use and the offsets required for fender and suspension clearance.

Please remember that you can mount several sizes of tires on a given wheel width so allow for that. Every tire manufacturer provides sectional and tread width values for every tire.

911 Fuchs Wheel Data
Size Offset Backspacing Part #
4.5x15 42mm 100mm 901.361.012.01
5.5x15 42mm 112mm 901.361.012.04
6 x 15 36mm 112mm 901.361.012.06
7 x 15 49mm 138mm 901.361.012.05®
7 x 15 23.3mm 112mm 911.361.020.41
8 x 15 10.6mm 112mm 911.361.020.42
9 x 15 3mm 117mm 911.361.020.03
6 x 16 36mm 112mm 911.362.113.00
7 x 16 23.3mm 112mm 911.362.115.00
7 x 16 23.3mm 138mm 951.362.115.00(944)
8 x 16 10.6mm 112mm 911.362.117.00
8 x 16 23.3mm 125mm 951.362.117.00(944)
9 x 16 15mm 130mm 911.362.118.00
Aaron Cox
notice how 6" and 7" 911 fuchs have 112mm backspace?

thats the magic number... upto 120 will fit
cbenitah
That was great AA... Although I'm a little confused still.. Do I need to get to 120mm? So if my offset is 55 I need a spacer for the remaing 65mm?
Aaron Cox
brain fart... but yes i beliebve so....

65mm is 2 9/16"

so a 2.5" spacer
Aaron Cox
im still not sure that is right... makes sense tho...

55mm from centerline,

so total backspace - offset = spacer?
120 - 55 = 65

spacers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-2-5...035981295QQrdZ1
cbenitah
Is ther good and bad spacers? The spacer it self bolt on to the hub like a wheel? And then the spacer have studs coming out that you mount the wheel on?

Just trying to get an understanding on how it works..

Thanks AA, you are the man's brother
Aaron Cox
technically that is an ADAPTER (5x130 to 5 x130)

unless you had SUUUPER long studs 100mm or so, then you could use slide on spacers and just mount em like normal...

adapters save you from buying super long studs and swapping em out....

5 more lugnuts to keep torqued....
you decide if thats for you....

AA
cbenitah
what are people using though?

I want what is recommended by everyone here..
Aaron Cox
ok.. so the largest verbus brand studs around are 100mm...

"Wheel Stud, 100mm, 10 Pack
H-331-100MMPK $88.80" from pelican....

but... are they long enuff?

100mm - (~10mm hub thickness) - (thickness of brake rotor ~10mm) - 65mm spacer = 15mm of thread AND it has to go thru the rim too!!!

i think you are stuck with bolt on adapters....
McMark
Based on my graphic/experience, you can run up to 150 mm of back spacing before the tire starts rubbing. If your tires overhang your wheels (think 205 tires on 5.5" stock wheels) then you must subtract that overhand from the 150 mm.

Here is one way to think about it:

If you're going to run a 10" wide wheel (254 mm), and a 265 mm wide tire, you can figure out your maximum backspacing this way -- tire width (265) - wheel width (254) = 11 mm of tire overhang total, 5.5 mm of tire overhang per side. So you could run a 144.5 mm backspacing before you ran into the inner fender. But you'll want some "breathing room" so I would say 140 mm at a minimum.

Of course, my drawing as well as tire specs aren't always 100% accurate. So you can't just go by the numbers. sad.gif The numbers are only a rough estimate. If you're going to push the limits, be prepared to do some work, otherwise go with something a little more safe.
cbenitah
safe in this sense would be a 255 tire on that 10" wheel? I think I understand what you are saying. Thanks for explaning though..
Aaron Cox
mark may be onto something.....

so you can go a tad bit more backspacing than 112-120... aim for 130 and call it good?

show us the wheels you chose....

AA
cbenitah
can't show you until they are on the car..But they are black and silver, same goes for the rest I have got for it biggrin.gif

Guess that means that I'm in for another late night tech session. Where should I send those lug nuts laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
chris...

please check out the 'classic' wheel from CCW. 17, 18" sizes...

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php

dude... completely sick.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
cbenitah
I take it that you did not like the preview I sent to you last night..
Aaron Cox
not at all... waaayy toooo big.

and these CCW wheels can be made in ANY offset for you... and that can mean NO spacers (save 400 bucks LOL)

they can be anodized, polished or painted as seen above. they would look SINISTER in black on your car dude

you can get em in half inch intervals of width too... 9.5" wide with 130 mm backspace :chubby:
cbenitah
I like the 555 Car, not sure who's it is, but those wheels would be ideal.. I think BBS LM 17" not sure though.
Aaron Cox
dan callicots....(xitspd)

i believe they are fikse or BBS
BIGKAT_83
Heres a set of CCW wheels 17/9 on all four corners.

Bob
cbenitah
IMHO looks really good..

Got any more pics?? I would rather have 17" wheels.
Lou W
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 12 2006, 01:48 PM) *

I like the 555 Car, not sure who's it is, but those wheels would be ideal.. I think BBS LM 17" not sure though.

Here's some pictures of Dan's wheels;
cbenitah
Anyone know what Dan is running?

Looks like 17, but with the correct offset :drool:
Lou W
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 12 2006, 03:17 PM) *

Anyone know what Dan is running?

Looks like 17, but with the correct offset :drool:

Kinesis's 8 x 17 and 10 x 17's.
xitspd
Thanks,

I specified the front and rear back spacing to the factory when I ordered the wheels from Kinesis. I had just purchased the Twinn Turbo Brakes and was not sure of clearances needed. If I could do it again, I think I would anodize the wheels with a polished lip. biggrin.gif

Dan
turboman808
QUOTE(xitspd @ Oct 12 2006, 04:23 PM) *

Thanks,

I specified the front and rear back spacing to the factory when I ordered the wheels from Kinesis. I had just purchased the Twinn Turbo Brakes and was not sure of clearances needed. If I could do it again, I think I would anodize the wheels with a polished lip. biggrin.gif

Dan

If you don't mind me asking how much did those wheels cost ya?

Racer chris penciled me in for Jan to do my fenders and I am gonna get either kinesis or fikse with the same tires you got. Those are advans right?

Part of me wants to get the black anodized and part of me wants the polished wheels idea.gif
Andyrew
Go both.. black anodized with a polished lip!
green car..

looks sick!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.