Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which MOMO wheel to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZ914
I've been looking at some of the MOMO steering wheels and really like the look of the MOMO Competition. It is a 13.5" wheel but is a little 'fat'. Just wondering if anyone is running with this wheel and if I'll have a problem viewing the guages with a fatter wheel like this...
Here is a pic: (hopefully)
machina
For the racecar, I like the type 07 prototipo. The suede finish won't slip in your hands and the dish puts the rim back in the right spot.

Also, this wheel is basically the same one used by porsche in many factory built racecars. To me it just looks right.

The newer wheels in our older cars just look out of place IMO.

dave
MarkV
Jason,

Did you get your car back? How does it run?

I have a Dino that looks similar to the MoMo Prototipo for sale. I have the adaptor for it & a Porsche emblem horn button.

I think the retro style wheels look good in a 914. The modern wheels are nice but don't look quite right in a old car.
AZ914
Mark,
Just cleaning out the gas tank (rust problem), then I'm good to go.
Do you have a pic of that Dino?

Re: new-vs-old style: I agree, an ultra-modern wheel would look out of place on the car. I thought the competition still maintained some of that 'older' look while adding some comfort with the wider grip etc.. Point taken however...!
SirAndy
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Nov 3 2003, 03:02 PM)
Just wondering if anyone is running with this wheel and if I'll have a problem viewing the guages with a fatter wheel like this...

i'm not running THIS wheel but i have a old-style Momo of the same size.
if you have a stock steering wheel now, yes, visibility of the gauges is bad.
you'll end up turning most gauges.

if you already have a small one and you're just wondering about the thicker wheel, i don't think that'll make much of a difference.

Andy
smrz914
I love my MOMO Race wheel. It looks so much better and the style and the fact that it is "fat" outweigh the fact that it might block the gages a little. If you need to turn the gages, wouldn't that just be cool. Well it's one mans opinion. The feel is that you want and the fatness has a lot to do with the feel.
MarkV
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Nov 3 2003, 03:32 PM)
Mark,
Do you have a pic of that Dino?

Jason,

Looks like this only with a black center. Still kind of fat, does work better with the gauges turned.
JWest
I've got the MOMO Competition - the little dots in the leather give it more grip than a smooth wheel and it feels really nice.

The view of the gauges stinks, but that's the price you pay for a non-stock wheel unless you space the wheel closer to you.

Too dark to get a pic tonight (and it won't come out well with the lighting in my garage) but I can probably take a pic tomorrow if you want it.
madd_dogg_914
Here is a picture of the MOMO Competition. I must say that I LOVE this wheel. The textured leather matches the interior really well. It looks stock and aftermarket at the same time. Hands down best interior upgrade I have done.
-Chris

IPB Image
AZ914
Thanks for the info and pics.

Chris: The wheel does look sweet. aktion035.gif Too bad on the guages but what the heck.. I could always spin'em.. BTW.. nice sub.

Thanks all...
Ferg
I put the regular prototipo in mine and like the looks.
smile.gif
andys
All,

What are the diameters of the steering wheels are you guys/gals are running?

Where are the dash covers available that I see in some of the ric's (Ferg)?

Andy
Ferg
I "think" my wheel was a 13.5 as well. As far as the dash cover, can't help you, it came with the car, it had the PO initials sewn into it above the glove box, took a razor to the stitching in the hotel room on the way back from CA to CO. laugh.gif
aufaber
QUOTE(andys @ Nov 4 2003, 10:48 AM)

Where are the dash covers available that I see in some of the ric's (Ferg)?

Andy

I know you can get them from Kragen.. or was it pepboys.. either way you can order a 914 dash cover.. I know Jeff got one from them.. who knows where it went when he didn't the custom dash.. I think Bill got it.

-Aaron G>
jnp914
I am using a 320mm black leather rimmed Momo now, I don't remember the model number but I do not see it on any of the web sites so I guess it has been discontinued. It blocks the upper range of all three dials.

While I like the smaller diameter, I much prefer the Prototipo, even with its 350mm diameter, and I probably will install one as the last item in the conversion to full track car.
VegasRacer
This one works great for me.
Jeroen
QUOTE(andys @ Nov 4 2003, 08:48 PM)
What are the diameters of the steering wheels are you guys/gals are running?

350 mm

I've got the "competition" in my 911
The perforated leather looks nice and the thicker grip is nice as well

Got a Prototipo style deepdish wheel waiting to go into the 914

cheers,

Jeroen
Curvie Roadlover
Here's mine. I like the extra room it gives me for getting in and out of the car. There was a post a while back about turning the gauges for better visibility. It was mentioned that turning the speedo causes premature wear on the cable. This seems to make sense because the angle that the cable attaches to the gauge is fixed (unlike the tach) and could cause binding. When I read that I promptly straightened my speedo back to straight upright. Just something to think about before you turn the speedo for better visibility idea.gif
Curvie Roadlover
oops, here's the pic
robby750
I like any Momo. They quality is great. I bought this model (Jackie Stewart Signature) in 1986 and it holding up well.
jnp914
Racing Line is the Momo model I could not remember, the same thing VegasRacer has pictured. I just removed the 'Racing Line' script with acetone, and couldn't remember what was there before.

The 320mm size makes sliding into the seat, particularly a high bolster competition seat like the Momo Start I have, a whole lot easier.
jnp914
Robby,

Although I consider Stewart to be an unsufferable twit, I love that wheel. I would buy one in a heartbeat, but after looking at the Momo Italian site, I don't think they are made anymore. Certainly not as a Jackie Stewart signature model. Pity, that is a classic design.
AZ914
Thanks for all the info guys. I've decided to go with the MOMO Competition 350MM. driving.gif

Next question, anyone know of a good place to get a Porsche horn button? I've seen them on the bay but $60 seems to be a lot.... confused24.gif
MarkV
Hey, aren't you supposed to be busy sanding your car?
Qarl
GPRparts.com should have the Horn crest button in the $35 to $40 range.
MarkV
Jason,

This is an extra one I have, the price is right.
AZ914
Mark.. sweeeeeet!! beer.gif Thought I might as well get the steering wheel while ordering the rear caliper rebuild kits, etc..

Yeah, I stripped the negative sticker, washed the car, bought some supplies, started assembling some suspension stuff. Gonna start on some 'easy' spots tongijht...work on through the week. Never did this before so we shall see how it goes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.