Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poor Mans AX Aero
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Rough_Rider
TBO this wasn't what i'd call cheap or easy...

Cost Tally:
Lexan $60
Braces $100
Arrylic hinges $5
Glue $2
Drill bits $30
Misc $20

Half way thru I had to ask WTF.gif
But all my alternatives we're more expensive Or needed welding skills i don't have welder.gif

Time tally : at least 15hrs. blink.gif

But you know i kinda like it smile.gif

drgchapman
I'm in trouble now............
Trekkor
Nice job. clap56.gif
Show some pics from farther back, please.

KT
grantsfo
....Can I find all that stuff at Home Depot?
Trekkor
You may have to duck into OSH for this one...Seriously.

KT
tomamafone
where didja get those links (the braces)? i have a little project im working on and i need a couple of them. And kudos ont he lexan cutting job. looks very clean.

Thanks!
Jeroen
nice job!
Rough_Rider

Plastic pieces are available at TAP plastics, got the acrylic glue, lexan drill bits, lexan hinges & core all there.

Spoiler braces we're trickier, searched for days through longacre, & tons of racers places. Finally found ones with full degree of freedom heim joints at www.pitstopusa.com
Their spendy but ironically if you price up the individual parts there in the ballpark. DIY braces goto pegasus.com
URY914
Nice work.

I bet it hurt when you drilled holes in that paint, didn't it?
Aaron Cox
i like how its clear and wont obstruct your rear view... NICE thinking
Rough_Rider
Yeah Trek i hated drilling the holes. The lexan drill bits are worth their weight in gold, they made part the job ridiculously easy.

Anywho here's the final shots

Now you see me, Now you don't....
Aaron Cox
looks SOOO BITCHIN!!!
Randal
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Oct 10 2006, 09:05 PM) *

Yeah Trek i hated drilling the holes. The lexan drill bits are worth their weight in gold, they made part the job ridiculously easy.

Anywho here's the final shots

Now you see me, Now you don't....

Did you notice...? It is a real optical illusion: blink.gif

Anyone following you is going to drive off the track.
Trekkor
Pretty cool.

KT
Joe Ricard
Sort of like Johnathan Jackson's car.
Mike T
I want that. drooley.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Oct 10 2006, 08:12 AM) *

Plastic pieces are available at TAP plastics, got the acrylic glue, lexan drill bits, lexan hinges & core all there.

Spoiler braces we're trickier, searched for days through longacre, & tons of racers places. Finally found ones with full degree of freedom heim joints at www.pitstopusa.com
Their spendy but ironically if you price up the individual parts there in the ballpark. DIY braces goto pegasus.com

When I was out web looking for the parts you used I found lots of rod end and clevis rod ends at: http://www.mcmaster.com

Just use their search engine, type in "rod ends."

Andyrew
Now I dont like my f/g sheridan spoiler... shoot.

Thats sick!
PORobinSCHE
Trev, what are the chances of getting a paper template from you? or has this been trademarked,copywrited, and all around locked away???

Robin
Rough_Rider
Sure Robin,

I've a styrofoam mock-up & the lexan to make a template. I'l attempt to make a pdf for posting.
PORobinSCHE
Thank You very much Trev. i should have most of the hardware laying around at work,from old projects.....i love Disney audio animatronics!!

Robin
PORobinSCHE
For most AutoX's, does the rear wing/spoiler have to be in a fixed position? or...can it be adjustable on-the-fly(like the old Chapparals).

thinking outside the box!

Robin
J P Stein
I been lookin' at the effin' rulebook & I can't do wings unless I wanna run A Mod
which I don't. Looks like Trevor's plan is as best I can do...to the max height of the rules, of course.

I also can't do mounts like his....but I have a plan idea.gif
Rough_Rider
Guy's here's the template i've been promising folks.

Ironcially overlaying the original lexan onto the template taken on the car seems to show two very different contours.
Rough_Rider
2nd
Rough_Rider
3rd & final
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 24 2006, 05:34 PM) *

I been lookin' at the effin' rulebook & I can't do wings unless I wanna run A Mod
which I don't. Looks like Trevor's plan is as best I can do...to the max height of the rules, of course.

I also can't do mounts like his....but I have a plan idea.gif

Uh the picture I posted of the VERY fast FP yellow car is what you can do.
I am pretty sure I can run a wing in XP Just don't have the science to make one work at the relatively low speeds of Autocross.
SM allow wings too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.