Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I tell which 2 liter ECU I have?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RockinOldSchool
I was told that there are 3 different 2 liter ECUs. The part number on the exterior of the ECU has rubbed off over the years and I'm not sure which one I have. The engine is a 73 2 liter with 75 heads and my friend says it's not the 73 ECU.

So how can I find out?
jasons
QUOTE(RockinOldSchool @ Oct 9 2006, 10:45 PM) *

I was told that there are 3 different 2 liter ECUs. The part number on the exterior of the ECU has rubbed off over the years and I'm not sure which one I have. The engine is a 73 2 liter with 75 heads and my friend says it's not the 73 ECU.

So how can I find out?

Shit, you can't make out any of the part number?

I think the ECU for 73 2.0 ended in a 037 part number. Likewise the MPS also ends in an 037 part number. If you have the 037 ECU, you must use the 037 MPS.

Check out Brad Anders site. You should be able to answer your question with the tons of great info there.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

I think first you should figure out if your ECU is compatible with your MPS. There are a few other subtleties like the head sensor and the thermal switch wiring. But figure out what ECU and MPS you have first, then you can figure out what else is or isn't compatible.
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(jasons @ Oct 9 2006, 11:08 PM) *

Shit, you can't make out any of the part number?

I think the ECU for 73 2.0 ended in a 037 part number. Likewise the MPS also ends in an 037 part number. If you have the 037 ECU, you must use the 037 MPS.

Check out Brad Anders site. You should be able to answer your question with the tons of great info there.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

I think first you should figure out if your ECU is compatible with your MPS. There are a few other subtleties like the head sensor and the thermal switch wiring. But figure out what ECU and MPS you have first, then you can figure out what else is or isn't compatible.

It ran fantastic. However, I may have fried the ECU, therefor the need to know which one I have. All I can make out on the sticker is the numbers on the far right side. The top number is 044 and the bottom is 021.

I'm guessing that would mean the top number should be 0 280 000 044 and the lower should be 039 906 021, a 2 liter ECU for the 75-76 models.

Is this ECU interchangeable with any others or do I need to get another of the same?
Mueller
QUOTE(RockinOldSchool @ Oct 9 2006, 11:27 PM) *

Is this ECU interchangeable with any others or do I need to get another of the same?

Look at the site that was posted for you...there is a table that shows what can be mixed and matched.

ptravnic
The ECU's rarely fail. Run the tests listed on Brad's sight. The harnesses are old and the wires crack easily.

-pt
Bleyseng
75-76 ran the 052 ECU.

I have a Janbo Djet tester that I loan out if you have problems and need to test stuff.

jasons
Lets back-pedal a little bit, why do you think the ECU is bad?
davep
If the VW part # starts with 021, then it is the 73 1.7 & 2.0 ECU. It requires the special resistor for the temperature sensor to work along with all the other 73 2.0 parts.
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 9 2006, 11:55 PM) *

Look at the site that was posted for you...there is a table that shows what can be mixed and matched.

Okay, I'll look. Sorry bout that I was real tired last night when I was running through all of that.

QUOTE(jasons @ Oct 10 2006, 09:10 AM) *

Lets back-pedal a little bit, why do you think the ECU is bad?

Rather than repeat it all, just click here and you'll see.

QUOTE(davep @ Oct 10 2006, 09:33 AM) *

If the VW part # starts with 021, then it is the 73 1.7 & 2.0 ECU. It requires the special resistor for the temperature sensor to work along with all the other 73 2.0 parts.

All I can see is that the last three numbers on the top line are 044 and the last three numbers on the bottom line are 021. I can't see the beginning of either. But I assume that to mean the top number should be 0 280 000 044. And the bottom should be 039 906 021.

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 10 2006, 07:10 AM) *

75-76 ran the 052 ECU.

I have a Janbo Djet tester that I loan out if you have problems and need to test stuff.

And that would tell me if the ECU is fried or what's up with it?(If anything)
If so could I bum it from you tonight at the meet and drop it with you Thursday or next Tuesday at the meet? (Assuming I can't find another local this afternoon that has a spare I can test.)

I'm trying to get it back up and running before Thursday. I'm supposed to go up to Bellingham to spend the weekend with the girlfriend and my family and the 914 is my only way to get there.
McMark
IIRC the 044 ECU is a 74 non-CHT-resistor model. But check Brad A.'s site for sure. The 044 is the important part, so if you can read that, you're set.
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 10 2006, 07:58 PM) *

IIRC the 044 ECU is a 74 non-CHT-resistor model. But check Brad A.'s site for sure. The 044 is the important part, so if you can read that, you're set.

That would be correct. Thanks to rhodyguy i've got one to test. Which I'm now off to do.
RockinOldSchool
Well, I installed the other ecu. Same part number as the one that was already in the car. And it is still suffering the same issue. Check one more possibility off the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.