Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What color is the stock front engine mount?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
michaelmoo
What color is the stock front engine mount? I have a feeling it is black, but not sure,

Mine is now the typical rust brown.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Oct 10 2006, 01:35 PM) *

What color is the stock front engine mount? I have a feeling it is black, but not sure,

Mine is now the typical rust brown.

Going on memory here....probably trouble!!!!

Seems like they had surfaces that were painted flat black, as well as surfaces that were cad-type plated, as well as the rubber stuff.

Anyone else?
JeffBowlsby
The early engine support crossbar, I could not tell you about...I think its black painted but someone who knows the early cars (70-72) will need to verify. the 73-76 cars...Raw cast iron.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 11 2006, 09:15 PM) *

The early engine support crossbar, I could not tell you about...I think its black painted but someone who knows the early cars (70-72) will need to verify. the 73-76 cars...Raw cast iron.

Jeff,

Yep, the crossbar is "stain" black, but the question was about the mounts.
Pat
michaelmoo
Raw cast iron. I guess I'm close with rust cast iron. What would be the best way to get it back to the stock look? blast it?
IronHillRestorations
I got some NOS later style (cast iron) cross bars from Porsche a few years ago and they are just plain bare metal, so light rusty brown is the correct color biggrin.gif Here's a photo of a new one.

I would media blast it and clear coat it.
JeffBowlsby
I would let it patinate naturally without coating it, but thats just me...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 12 2006, 03:16 PM) *

I would let it patinate naturally without coating it, but thats just me...

I'm with Jeff. Have one I got from somewhere that I had blasted & sprayed gloss black. Beautiful, but not original.

I have a slop-shift 1.7. Why do I have this part? Ya got me! Why do I have most of the parts I have? Must be an illness. Just can't pass up freebies, no matter thier use to me.

Still waiting for someone to give me 7 & 9 inch Fuchs, since I love them but have no use for them - won't even fit my 911.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.