Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heater cable fabrication
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
it pains me to spend $37. + shipping to buy a flimsy piece of wire for my flapper boxes. has any built their own? someone must have, you guys have the sharpest minds in the country, the world , the universe KMA.gif
bd1308
well coming from the dumbass of KY, I used some steel bailing wire for my valve. Version 2 will be picture wire, seemed to me that picture wire would be more flexible than v1. I had a club member send some stainless wire too, I may use that. my bailiing wire worked fine though.
nycchef
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 10 2006, 01:36 PM) *

well coming from the dumbass of KY, I used some steel bailing wire for my valve. Version 2 will be picture wire, seemed to me that picture wire would be more flexible than v1. I had a club member send some stainless wire too, I may use that. my bailiing wire worked fine though.

thats the spirit. how did you make the connection to the boxes?
bd1308
actually you *could* probably use the stock connections if you used bailiing wire, but the picture wire may require just making a knot around the heater pull, or wrap the wire around a bolt and cinch a nut down on it.
MartyYeoman
I had a failed cable on one side only.
I bent the existing cable (wire) into a loop and attached a carter pin through it's looped end.
I then held the pin into the heater valve in the usual way.
mihai914
I think you can do it with some bicycle cable along with those crimp on tubes at the ends that are supposed to prevent the strands to go loose.
2-OH!
Just a quick thought...I used something similar to bailing wire, two cars ago...At certain RPMS, harmonic vibration set up an awful rattle...Finally got the cables tight enough that the problem went away, but had to jack the car several times and get a friend to help...

The current restoration, I put shrink wrap tubing around the cables and that rattle will not be a problem this time...

2-OH!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.