Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler To cut or No?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Rough_Rider
Looking for a Oregon or west coast contact to have a oil cooler modified. In this case made smaller.
Task would be: Right side tank cut off. 50% of the core removed. Old tank or new tank re-welded. Plus a thorough cleaning.

OR should I just buy a new smaller one & not worry about leakage & metal fragment contamination.
Brad Roberts
Buy a new one. Fluidyne all the way. Sell that one.

B
J P Stein
I'm inclined to agree with Brad....will wonders never cease biggrin.gif

Dunno what fittings are on there, but those aren't male AN 12s/16s.

If it is not too long to fit in the front trunk....since you don't say....the minimum
fix would be to have the proper fittings welded on.....then have it cleaned.
I wouldn't have a outside the trunk mounted cooler on a car that is driven on the street.....or the track either, come to think of it.
Rough_Rider
Sorry should have explained, thats a pic of an original rx7 cooler.
I've already got one externally mounted & the darn thing is HUGE!!!!

I've to run the car for > 20minutes even it hot weather (80f +) to get any heat on the oil gauge.

So was figuring for a winter project should i cut or replace. Cutting is easier for me as i'd not have to change any fittings. But i hear ya both.

Fluidyne or Mocal it'll probably be.

Cheers fellas.
Aaron Cox
AND they have a thermostat inside!!

you gotta cut open the end tank, remove the t stat, and weld on a pair of fittiings... then have it sonic cleaned....

how much do you want for it?
J P Stein
Do you have a thermostat in the scavenge side line?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.