Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That's it... I'm out for the FFC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tdgray
Got the trigger points from Britt tonight when I came home from work.

Pulled the distributor. MAJOR problems. Dist is shit.

You name it, it has it. Excessive shaft play. Braided advance plate wire was ( yes I said was) barely hanging on. It broke at the slightest wiggle. Trigger points look questionable (Britt sent me two sets that look better). Advance pot loose as shit. You name it.

Sorry Guys... I am sooo bummed... beyond belief. I was looking forward to a couple of days away from work etc.

I'm just pissed right now that I did not pull this earlier and order one. I thought about it a few weeks ago when trying to diagnose the running rich condition but kept running in other directions.

I think I will go drown my sorrows now. beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Allan
I'm sure somebody could overnight a dizzy to you... smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Whoa.. you dont have a hair on your ass if you dont fix that car RIGHT NOW and get to the event biggrin.gif alfred.gif

Somebody CLOSE by has to have a dizzy. I can ship one tomorrow if need be "complete".. just drop it in and hook it up.

B
tdgray
I'm looking... only shop in town that *might* have one is closed... I'll have to check with them in the AM. They might even be able to overnight one.

If I was sure that was the only problem I would be more agressive about it... but I'm not.

I have replaced tons of stuff just to get to this piont... a 6 hour drive with an un-proven car is making my wife more than a little nervous. She is giving me the stare when I was talking about having a dizzy overnighted and pulling a one day test on it.

I'm going to sleep on it tonight. worse comes to worse I get up at the crack of dawn Sat and drive down

We'll see.

Brad Roberts
I'm sure I missed the other 300 posts about what it "was" doing wrong.. but give me a brief description!

You know me.. assemble a new engine 3 days prior to a 1700mile road trip. I'm not scared.

B
tdgray
Well simply put fouling plugs to beyond belief condition in less than 12 miles biggrin.gif

Here are things I have replaced or are known good... recently posted on another thread which is how we got to the process of replacing the TP's.

New fuel filter and pump (after market MSD set at 29 psi).

MPS - rebuilt by Geoff - tested- holds vaccum.

Pertonrix ignition

Rebuilt fuel injectors - tested by witchhunter (thisis when the rich problem went from bad to worse)

All new vaccum hoses EVERYWHERE!

New fuel lines throughout.

Tested AAR.

New CHT.

T2 operating within range.

Cold start valve unpluged and isolated from fuel system.

Valves adjusted before reinstalling engine per the Capn't method.

I'm sure I am missing somethings that I have done. The only thing I have not done yet was a compression test... but I am pretty sure that would not foul all four plugs in 12 miles.
robby750
Take a new dizzy if offered and try it. If it still runs like shit then drive something else. Just show up and have fun. Hell I'll let you drive my car when you get there(if mine makes it). biggrin.gif
Bartlett 914
Hi Todd

2.0 right? I have a spare I can LOAN you. I will need it back sometime. PM me an address and I will ship it tomorrow. You will get it Thursday. We can worry about the details in Columbus.

firstknight13
biggrin.gif thats why you are in good company and friends in this not a "CLUB" oh and grow some HAIR!!!! clap56.gif driving.gif rocking nana.gif
Doug Leggins
I have a complete 1.7 FI engine from a 72 that I parted a while back. The dizzy should be good. I also have most of the FI stuff from a 2.0 from a 74, no dizzy on this one, but I think that I have a dizzy from another 2.0 motor. I also have a 009 in great condition but I don't know if the 009 can be used with FI. Everything that I have had running has been carbed. I have a small stockpile of parts "just in case". Let me know what you need. If I've got it, it can be in your hands overnight.
dlo914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Oct 10 2006, 05:42 PM) *

Hi Todd

2.0 right? I have a spare I can LOAN you. I will need it back sometime. PM me an address and I will ship it tomorrow. You will get it Thursday. We can worry about the details in Columbus.

If it's a 1.7 i have a spare lying around and i could overnight it to you VIA UPS. smile.gif
nomore9one4
Todd, since you have all these offers for parts and no longer have the need for the beer3.gif please overnight whatever is left to ME. biggrin.gif You are going to make that trip.I can feel it! driving.gif
ws91420
Check your local FLAPS I have been able to get one from Auto Zone and even included triggerpoints
Aaron Cox
grow some balls and borrow a dizzy LOL

bd1308
I have a dizzy that is missing a TP.

I have another one that is going out, i'm rebuilding it right now.

you pay shipping, (2-day or overnight) and its free...
Brad Roberts
Is the resistor in place with the head temp sensor?

Can you take a picture of the engine for me?? I would like to look over it.

B
tdgray
Brad...will do. As soon as I get home after work.

Britt - Doug - all. Car is a 1.7. My local guy should be open in a few minutes I will see if he has one.

If not parts america (advanced auto parts here) has a rebuilt that I can get overnight.

Still gonna give it hell guys. If I can get it in Thursday night and give it good test I think I can make the wifey comfortable with the travel.

Feeling more positive this morning.

Oh and the beer3.gif ... I drank it all biggrin.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 10 2006, 11:41 PM) *

Oh yeah and this from the wussy that towed his car to moab biggrin.gif
tdgray
OK made the call to the local guy... no dice. He said it would take him a couple of days to source a rebuilt one.

Soooo... I just ordered one from PA. Should be here tomorrow afternoon. I hope it isn't a piece of crap.

Wish me luck boys... it's gonna come down to the wire. blink.gif
mikelsr
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 11 2006, 07:51 AM) *

OK made the call to the local guy... no dice. He said it would take him a couple of days to source a rebuilt one.

Soooo... I just ordered one from PA. Should be here tomorrow afternoon. I hope it isn't a piece of crap.

Wish me luck boys... it's gonna come down to the wire. blink.gif

As a backup plan why not take someone up on their offer and have them overnight you a loaner? You pay the shipping and if you don't need it, either ship it back or hand it to them the FFC.

Just a thought...
tdgray
I'm sure the one from PA will be fine. It is a rebuilt bosch.

AT this point the only thing I am worried about is that this IS the problem.

Don't know... I have been chasing this thing for so long now... it seems everytime I change a part with a new part the problem just gets worse (ie. new fuel injectors).

Just gonna keep my fingers crossed that this works. hands.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 11 2006, 05:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 10 2006, 11:41 PM) *

Oh yeah and this from the wussy that towed his car to moab biggrin.gif

interesting....

my car runs great and dont foul plugs... but i tow it....
your car doesnt run idea.gif

you got me. LOL chairfall.gif
Aaron Cox
-why was this locked?-
tdgray
Probably cause Z was jealous of your manly mane flying in the breeze in you fine black car. confused24.gif

nomore9one4
Any update Todd? boldblue.gif
bd1308
Yeah whats your excuse for not going to the FFC now? wink.gif

You could have had my dizzy. I bought it last year for my 2.0L engine, it just needed Trigger Points.

b
tdgray
this breaking news....dat.datdat..dat.

Wifey just called... Fed Ex just dropped off parts. New Dizzy and some fresh plugs.

Gonna pull a late night fixin session tonight.

I have clients in town who I have to take out to dinner tonight... should be done about 8 or 9... then off to the garage.

Keep 'em crossed boys. If it seems OK after I put in the new dizzy, time it, et all. I will drive it to work tomorrow and give it a shake down.

I am thinking I should be able to tell a difference right away if this is going to cure it... but not sure. A drive tonight then pull the plugs and inspect and to work tomorrow... then pull the plugs and I should be able to tell if it is working properly.

I gunning for it guys. If I gonna go for it I won't be leaving until Sat morning at 5AM. Should put me there about 10-11 AM.

I'll update you in the AM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.