Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Airbox-computer vs. carbruators
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chp7298
Hi .. I'm new to this forum and I would like to get some input from you:

I have a '75 914-4 2.8L that I bought new. I'd like to restore it probably next year(2007).
I rebuilt the engine a few years ago and it ran for awhile. But, all of a sudden when starting it, it would run for about 5 to 8 seconds and die. I think the cold start sensor is working ok, but have doubts about the rest of the fuel system, (airbox and computer). I did replace the fuel pump and filters.
What I'm considering doing is remove all of the computer components and airbox and installing a couple of carbruators. Is this a difficult project. What would I need to make the change and where can I find the parts for it?
Thanks for your input. smile.gif
Dr Evil
welcome.png

Are you sure you have a 2.8L, and not a 1.8L? If so, are you running D-jet on it or L-jet? Carbing is not a very hard thing to do, but it would be best to put carbs on an engine wiht the correct cam for it.
McMark
Carbs are do-able. But you can get the FI running with a little help from your new friends at the 914Club! wink.gif Where are you in NorCal?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 10 2006, 07:45 PM) *

Carbs are do-able. But you can get the FI running with a little help from your new friends at the 914Club! wink.gif Where are you in NorCal?

You should listen to him, he's pre-med.

welcome.png
Mueller
there is more to it than just "throwing" on carbs and driving away driving.gif

with the amount of money and time you'll spend on the carbs, I'm sure you can get your L-Jet running...I'm in the process of re-installing mine on my car...

The L- Jetronic "hates" vac. leaks.....that includes the cap that you use to fill the motor with oil...

check out these links to start with...

L-Jet troubleshooting

L-Jet manual
Jake Raby
The topic of next week's 4th Dimension radio show is Carburetors, their install, tuning and etc. My guest on the show will be Art Thraen from Aircooled engineering in Salt Lake City- he IS the carb GURU!
Listen!
rhodyguy
when the hell are you going to start selling cd complilations of the shows? FOCUS!!! haha.

k
jaybird840
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 11 2006, 09:04 AM) *

when the hell are you going to start selling cd complilations of the shows? FOCUS!!! haha.

k

Have you downloaded the podcasts yet? Man, what a deal!!! I download them and then transfer them to my iPod... Listen at your own convenience. Thanks, Jake!!

Jaybird
No 'teener yet
'82 Mercedes 380sl (undergoing megasquirt development 8*))
chp7298
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 11 2006, 07:04 AM) *

k

Wow! I never expected such quick .. and numerous replies. Thank you.

Yes, the 2.8 is a typeo .. sorry. It is a 1.8. I do not know what type of jets it has.

To answer the location question: I am in Siskiyou County outside a little town (population 650) called Fort Jones. Where are you guys?
Mueller
QUOTE(chp7298 @ Oct 11 2006, 07:35 AM) *

k

Yes, the 2.8 is a typeo .. sorry. It is a 1.8. I do not know what type of jets it has.

To answer the location question: I am in Siskiyou County outside a little town (population 650) called Fort Jones. Where are you guys?

Your car has no "jet's" biggrin.gif

L-Jet is short for L-Jetronic, a type of Bosch fuel injection, most 914's came with D-Jet, to help confuse you even more smile.gif

Damn, you are way the he// up in Northern California, might as well be Oregon blink.gif

chp7298
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 11 2006, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(chp7298 @ Oct 11 2006, 07:35 AM) *

k

Your car has no "jet's" biggrin.gif

L-Jet is short for L-Jetronic, a type of Bosch fuel injection, most 914's came with D-Jet, to help confuse you even more smile.gif

Damn, you are way the he// up in Northern California, might as well be Oregon blink.gif

Well .. that should give you some idea how much I know, less understand how that system works! LOL

Yeah .. my house is about 23 linear miles from the Oregon border. Getting ready for the snow now. ~sigh~
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.