Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can anybody help me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
could somebody please help me figure out what they're talking about here.

http://satellite.powerbook.org/lovemb/2400/2400ioboard.html
Hoss
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 10 2006, 08:19 PM) *

could somebody please help me figure out what they're talking about here.

http://satellite.powerbook.org/lovemb/2400/2400ioboard.html

Britt,

I am not sure what you need to figure out from this page, but I can give you the gist of what the page says. If you need the gory details for performing the repair on a PowerBook 2400, you may need to get a literal translation.

The page deals with a PowerBook 2400 motherboard repair. The guy was troubleshooting the motherboard and power supply because of a battery problem. The initial thought was that it was a power supply issue, and a test was done for the connections and voltages which all checked out. All the smaller fuses checked out okay.

It is noted that on the back side of the battery terminal there was a surface mounted 5 amp fuse that visually appeared okay, but upon further testing, it was determined to be the problem. Because it is difficult to find a surface mounted five amp fuse, he decided to jumper in a glass tube fuse (2 amp rating). [My comments: You can see in the first four pictures the white 5 amp surface mount fuse and the yellow jumpers on each side of it. In picture seven, counting from left to right and top to bottom, there is a photo that shows the circuit board with white lettering on the motherboard that says "5A A72" which is the culprit.]

After he jumpered in the fuse, the problem was solved. He shows in the final photos the motherboard, keyboard, and AC power adapter all functional. [My comments: The display showing the battery charging is his proof of success]

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hoss

P.S. - In return for this Janglish translation, I would appreciate it if you could have Eric Shea send me a set of his remanufactured 914 calipers... my left rear just started leaking like a dog that found the only tree in a hundred miles.
Tab914
I think it says that you might be a surgeon with your 914 but if your notebook ends up looking like this..........................your srewed!!!! sheeplove.gif
Sorry I can't help. Have a beer. beer3.gif
Hoss
QUOTE(Tab914 @ Oct 10 2006, 11:38 PM) *

... Sorry I can't help. Have a beer.

Spoken like a true Canook. That is why we only visit for fishing trips and do not send our computers or teeners up north for repair. cool_shades.gif
bd1308
Thanks Hoss.

Exactly what I wanted to know. I may not be the best with 914s, but Ive had that laptop (i have two of those) apart three times on the desk of a hotel room during vacation wink.gif

cool!

b
Hoss
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 11 2006, 05:21 AM) *

Thanks Hoss.

Good luck with your laptop repairs. Be sure not to forget to pack the PowerBook desktop jack stands.

Cheers.
Mueller
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 11 2006, 05:21 AM) *

Thanks Hoss.

Exactly what I wanted to know. I may not be the best with 914s, but Ive had that laptop (i have two of those) apart three times on the desk of a hotel room during vacation wink.gif

cool!

b

Having to take it apart 3 times is not a vote of confidence smash.gif biggrin.gif

Good job there Hoss, I took one look at that page, didn't see any good looking women and closed it...I wouldn't even know where to start, right to left?, top to bottom?, just a bunch of confusing lines smile.gif
bd1308
Mike, if you only knew how finicky these things are...

there is a symptom called GLOD, Green Light of Death. Only solution is to drain the mobo and the PMU of power through various methods, the last being the disassembly of the laptop, some 50+ screws and the reassembly of these pieces. I actually had to involve two laptops, swapping mobo A with CPU B and PMU B, and vice versa...that was the ONLY way I got it to boot back up.
Hoss
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 11 2006, 09:33 AM) *

...I took one look at that page, didn't see any good looking women and closed it.

A perfectly sound and reasonable conclusion. You were smart enough to bail out of the thread. I figured that if Britt was desperate enough to resort to digging around Japanese laptop repair sites that the brother could use an assist. I would not want to leave him in a hotel on a business trip without the ability to use his PowerBook so that he can sign on the 914Club and check out all the threads with fast women and good looking cars.
bd1308
The japanese used to treasure these things...

sad.gif
Hoss
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 11 2006, 06:48 PM) *

The japanese used to treasure these things...

Oh, they still do. That is why they spend time to detail the intricacies on keeping the Apple MAC computers working long term, just like 914s. It is a superior product well in advance of its time...not respected in contemporary terms, but yet yields a great product that is loved by those who have a discernable eye.

I am a MAC and 914 man. Nothing to hang your head about that. cool.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.