Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Shaft Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kart54
Hi all,
I have some play in the joints on the shaft that connects the steering box in the firewall to the steering column. (I know, I know, sounds like a personal problem).
All kidding aside, the joints are at either end of the shaft and the shaft itself is a little over a foot long. Can the joints be purchased or does the entire shaft need to be replaced? Are new parts available? I've checked the usual suspects and didn't see them listed anywhere. What are they actually called?
If they aren't available, anybody have a shaft and the joints in good condition they want to sell?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Randy
"Car 54 Here I Am"
914Sixer
The u joints are no longer available from Porsche. The top joint usually wears out. The lower one usually is good. You should be able to go to the want ads and get some. I should have several if you need some. Have you checked the steering column bearings? The lower is usally good and the top is gone. Depending on the your cars year, there are several options. These bearings will make you think you have U joint problems. I suggest you check them FIRST.
914Sixer
911 u joints are direct replacement. I included some pictures.
Lou W
How much do the 911 replacements costs?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.