Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photos from Coronado Speed Festival
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hmeeder
Here is a link to a whole buttload of photos from last weekend's vinatge races at Coronado.PCA Forum Coronado Vintage Race Photos

Group 6 had the 914-GT representatives. A bit lopsided with about 10 Shelby Mustangs and a whole mess of Corvettes and Cobras, but my buddy John (gunmetal gray 914-GT) says that it was a full on blast and to have a river of big blocks streaming around you at full steam really gets your attention.

Unfortunately the red GT had a slight contact incident with a Sunbeam Tiger (battling for last place, of all things.) The contact was very light (a dimple in the fender for the GT, didn't even break the paint) but the 13/13 rule was in full effect and both drivers have been suspended for 13 months. I saw the contact and it looked like a simple racing incident with neither driver backing down. Couldn't say from my vantage point who had the line and who should have given the corner away.
brant
13/13 usually means that a driver is only on probation for the first incident and suspended only after the 2nd incident.

was it your buddies 2nd incident?

brant
hmeeder
Hmm, wasn't my buddy in the incident, but he's the one who told me that the other car was going to be off the roles. Maybe I misunderstood him?

Perhaps it was a 2nd incident? Or perhaps the 13/13 rule is more strict in this particular sanctioning body (after all, in some case we are talking about irreplaceable collector vehicles here) John did say that both drivers were going to be punished. Couldn't imagine them both being involved in a previous incident (though that could also account for the existence of an incident to begin with.)
john rogers
The group (General Racing ?)that puts on the Coronado Speed Festival only allows ONE incident and you're out. It was a shame it was a Porsche as the owner does not like them anyways, he is a Mustang man!
jd74914
Cool pictures, thanks for the link.

I've got a few random questions for the guys here:

What kind of car is this?
Click to view attachment

What kind of car is this?
Click to view attachment

It this the Altec Lansing car with different paint?
Click to view attachment
brant
very nice pictures by the way...

sounds like their rules are then 13 for first and not technically 13/13 which implies 2 chances.
bernbomb914
1st HRM?
2nd Ferrari 250 Berlnetta
i love porsche
the first looks like an allard...the second is definetly a ferrari 250 of some sort
rcrgrl
QUOTE(hmeeder @ Oct 11 2006, 07:17 PM) *

Here is a link to a whole buttload of photos from last weekend's vinatge races at Coronado.PCA Forum Coronado Vintage Race Photos

Group 6 had the 914-GT representatives. A bit lopsided with about 10 Shelby Mustangs and a whole mess of Corvettes and Cobras, but my buddy John (gunmetal gray 914-GT) says that it was a full on blast and to have a river of big blocks streaming around you at full steam really gets your attention.

Unfortunately the red GT had a slight contact incident with a Sunbeam Tiger (battling for last place, of all things.) The contact was very light (a dimple in the fender for the GT, didn't even break the paint) but the 13/13 rule was in full effect and both drivers have been suspended for 13 months. I saw the contact and it looked like a simple racing incident with neither driver backing down. Couldn't say from my vantage point who had the line and who should have given the corner away.

Did they like it when the Cheetah came by? Told my dad to wave burnout.gif
jK - i love to watch the 914's on the track!!

General Racing's rule is, and I quote "If you are involved in an incident sufficient to cause damage" you will have to sit out for one year. The only exception I know of is if it is due to mechanical failure to the car that is beyond driver's control and then this is carefully investigated in order for a determination to be made. We have all had to have this discussion at one time or another. The idea is exactly as stated elsewhere in this post - preserve the car. I for one don't want to go wheel to wheel in turn 4 with a ferrari GTO- he can have the line! GR is perhaps the most stringent of the vintage groups in this aspect.

That's one reason I'm working on my 914 - it would be fun to try a more lenient/perhaps more competitve group like HSR, etc.....
rcrgrl
thank you for the link too btw. great pics! smile.gif
john rogers
I forgot to ask, but is the oil line(s) that came loose and caused the problem braided stainless or neopreme with hose clamps? If ther are the rubber kind and you have to run them due to the rules of organization I can show you how to safety wire them so they can not come off or loose if you like?
rcrgrl
QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 12 2006, 12:35 PM) *

I forgot to ask, but is the oil line(s) that came loose and caused the problem braided stainless or neopreme with hose clamps? If ther are the rubber kind and you have to run them due to the rules of organization I can show you how to safety wire them so they can not come off or loose if you like?

thanks john, i think they are rubber up there. but at first blush it looks like the fitting was actually busted off when the chunk of concrete was bouncing around in there. after we put it up on the rack this weekend, i'll let you know....
mike373
Yeah.... I was at that event too. An incredible day to say the least. Classic cars racing....and military jets flying by on occasion. Definately a man's day out. Unfortunately.......all the 914's I saw racing got spanked hard!!!!

Mike
rcrgrl
QUOTE(mike373 @ Oct 12 2006, 02:26 PM) *

..... Definately a man's day out.....

oh yeah ? dry.gif
mike373
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Oct 12 2006, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mike373 @ Oct 12 2006, 02:26 PM) *

..... Definately a man's day out.....

oh yeah ? <_

Let me correct myself.... For the most part......a man's day out. However...to any women that can appreciate this kinda stuff..( and there aren't too many that I have met), I think it's a VERY beautiful thing.

Mike
jimtab
Nice save Mike.......
rcrgrl
thank you. smile.gif had to put in a little reminder to you guys that there are those of us who have long ago given up even on the idea of a manicure -
the grease under my finger nails - and my driving - speak for itself. driving-girl.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Oct 14 2006, 07:40 PM) *

thank you. smile.gif had to put in a little reminder to you guys that there are those of us who have long ago given up even on the idea of a manicure -
the grease under my finger nails - and my driving - speak for itself. driving-girl.gif

And...no sentient being would ever find you to be "mannish"......what I mean guys who didn't have the pleasure of meeting her at WCC06.....she's as cute as hell, and smart and funny...a devastating combination...especially combined with the fact she could outdrive a lot of us..... pray.gif
rhodyguy
aaron lives in sd and he blew this event off to study and post here? the lad needs to prioritize.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.