Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cargasm III: Mt. Baldy, Glendora Ridge, Glendora mt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
so.. rough day of class...need to unwind...

get back around 7:30 from class....
hang out, till 8. then i figure, go for a drive to unwind.....

my roommate decides he wants to go.... im like hell yeah!!

so we go start the car... warm it up for 5 min, drive away... go get gas etc....

so we are on our way... hit the base of baldy around 8:30.... and away we go...
fly up the hill... Rally lights workin great....

seeing some wildlife etc (probably wakin em all up! )

car is handling bitchin... im goin about 7/10 pace... very fun.
we hit the single track glendora ridge route.... (GRR)

and the fun is reaaaaally becoming apparent... 180 hair pins.... downhill into uphill corners etc....

havin a great time....

then i look at my friend, he is like ghost white... LOL. i told him in the beginning, "if i make you uncomfortable at anytime, let me know, ill back off and cruise...

he goes "nah.... we are cool"

LOL...

so i keep driving, this hairpin is wicked tight, set the line, mid powerband in short third... power thru the apex and get on it.... assend throttle steering nicely....

and then....

i hear "STOOOOOP"

fucker yacked out the window LOL chairfall.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif

the rest of the ~10 remaining miles to azusa were just cruising LOL

a great night.... for me....

and my rooomie tossed his cookies LOL

Aaron Cox
oh yeah.... and let me flatter myself.....

i did a bitchin job on the suspension... a bit stiff, but sticks like shit on velcro smile.gif

22mm torsions, tarett sways, welt poly's, Koni reds, 911 M brakes,
bilstein sports, coleman coilovers, stock sway, 225lb springs.....
corner balanced....

just bitchin...

im a happy camper

this is what it looks like during the day
IPB Image

but it is WAAAY more fun at night
Twystd1
I know.... Thats all i can tell you........

Twystd1
GWN7
As your bud .... cool smile.gif

as a dad.... sign your donar card yet?
So.Cal.914
I grew up in Glendora Aaron, that was our playground. That and Azusa cyn. are

my favorite ripping grounds. Actually I am surprised I survived those years, but

it is a great place to play.
Brando
GMR4?
Lou W
Great place at night, we use to drive go up on Glendora Mountain Road at night and do all kinds of stupid things... wacko.gif unsure.gif blink.gif great makeout locations throughout. Lot's of partying too. beerchug.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif alfred.gif

Sometimes we would just park up there and tell scary stories, trying to scare the shit out of each other. biggrin.gif
dlo914
ever tried Turnbull road or something like that?
Twystd1
Lou,

Was that you telling those story's in 1969,.............
Up on the hill when I was smoked out and drunker than a skunk....??????????????? (At least that wasted)

I still remember than night. The story's freaked me out.
To much lysergic acid diethylamide 25 me thinks........

Da Twystd1
Steve Thacker
You guys have all the fun. Twisty roads, hot babes and 914s out the ying yang. I don't
want to hear any of you complaining about living in Cali. biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Oct 12 2006, 12:02 AM) *

ever tried Turnbull road or something like that?

Turnbull canyon...sure, good one.

Twistd, there has been alot of pharmisutical testing up there, it was a required

course at Glendora "HIGH". Of course I never took part in those trials. wink.gif
Grimstead
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 11 2006, 10:08 PM) *

then i look at my friend, he is like ghost white... LOL. i told him in the beginning, "if i make you uncomfortable at anytime, let me know, ill back off and cruise...

he goes "nah.... we are cool"

LOL...

so i keep driving, this hairpin is wicked tight, set the line, mid powerband in short third... power thru the apex and get on it.... assend throttle steering nicely....

and then....

i hear "STOOOOOP"

fucker yacked out the window LOL chairfall.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif

the rest of the ~10 remaining miles to azusa were just cruising LOL

a great night.... for me....

and my rooomie tossed his cookies LOL

chairfall.gif
Some people just can't handle a fun ride...
Elliot_Cannon
Who in their right mind would ride with this guy ANYWHERE?
So.Cal.914
I don't think they will ever let you live that picture down. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
nope....

doesnt bother me either..,,

my roommate will never live down being a woman and tossing his cookies either smile.gif barf.gif
JPB
That is what I call freekin puking greatness friend. I was reading and thinking, wow his passenger has got to be feeling ill sometime in all them turns. He did! AWSOME!

beer.gif Next time, take a chic and see if she feels the same. Great story. smilie_pokal.gif
So.Cal.914
It is a great road and if you went on to Azusa canyon instead of staying on

GMR you missed the best of that road. It gets tighter, and there are two banked

hairpins that look over the valley that are dialed and a cool place to stop for the

view after you take them of course. But Azusa is a higher speed run and as much

fun in it's own way.
redshift
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 12 2006, 01:08 AM) *

Rally lights workin great....

seeing some wildlife etc (probably wakin em all up! )

lol you could *cook* wildlife with your lights.

M
Aaron Cox
wow... looked at google maps....

i could take 39 all the way up to angeles crest... and take it all the way to the 210.... or take angeles forest to freakin antelope valley LOLOL

never done angeles crest before... looks gnarly.

AA
Lou W
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 12 2006, 03:37 PM) *

It is a great road and if you went on to Azusa canyon instead of staying on

GMR you missed the best of that road. It gets tighter, and there are two banked

hairpins that look over the valley that are dialed and a cool place to stop for the

view after you take them of course. But Azusa is a higher speed run and as much

fun in it's own way.

There was a 180 down towards the bottom of GMR that we use to call "Tepple's Corner" a friend of ours named Bob Tepple went off it in his VW. Yes it is tighter and more curves than the Azusa side, I think it was more fun. We never went over to the Azusa side.....let's just say.....we probably were not welcome there. Maybe it's changed since then. ar15.gif
Aaron Cox
mt baldy to GRR is great... but GMR down to glendora is closed... you have to take GMR to eastfork and back to the 39....

dont know why the downhill section back to glendora of GMR is closed....
Lou W
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 12 2006, 03:51 PM) *

mt baldy to GRR is great... but GMR down to glendora is closed... you have to take GMR to eastfork and back to the 39....

dont know why the downhill section back to glendora of GMR is closed....

Hazmat Cleanup? biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 12 2006, 03:49 PM) *

There was a 180 down towards the bottom of GMR that we use to call "Tepple's Corner" a friend of ours named Bob Tepple went of it in his VW. Yes it is tighter and more curves than the Azusa side, I think it was more fun. We never went over to the Azusa side.....let's just say.....we probably were not welcome there. Maybe it's changed since then. ar15.gif

No we were not welcome, 1970's and early 80's it was pretty rough but the way

Azusa Canyon is it was a high speed run, lets see a 63 chevy with 560 X 13's

catch us. Yeah Aaron it is a great drive up to Angeles Crest and bitchin up

there. They put Gates up at the top of GMR and at the bottem years ago but

it used to be open duering the day and closed at dusk, to much partying.
Lou W
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 12 2006, 04:01 PM) *

They put Gates up at the top of GMR and at the bottem years ago but

it used to be open duering the day and closed at dusk, to much partying.

Ah, gated community smile.gif
Sammy
7/10ths on the street?
Been nice knowin ya, just try not to take anyone with you.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Sammy @ Oct 12 2006, 05:00 PM) *

7/10ths on the street?

??? confused24.gif
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 12 2006, 03:45 PM) *

wow... looked at google maps....

i could take 39 all the way up to angeles crest... and take it all the way to the 210.... or take angeles forest to freakin antelope valley LOLOL

never done angeles crest before... looks gnarly.

AA

If you wont to come up to Angeles Crest give me a call anytime I will give you a great tour. You will need to drop the roomate at the base of the hill. smile.gif
stay off ACHwy lots of traffic and cops.

????? What size sway bars did you use and are you using coilover front and rear?
Aaron Cox
i will hit you up for a great tour sometime...

sways -
1 1/8" tarett bar
16mm stock rear

coilover rear (coleman collars and 8"x2.5" ID 225lb springs)

Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Sammy @ Oct 12 2006, 05:00 PM) *

7/10ths on the street?

Not to worry. 7/10s for Aaron means not above 25mph. LOL
cooltimes
I lived in Glendora and went to Citrus Union. Family car was a Hudson Hornet. This was a long time ago. Looked at a Live Local Map, bird's eye view and could see the house is still there. The only racing I did then was on Sierra Madre Ave. The racing was done on Roller skates and the course was over several miles. That BIG dip still in the road. The vehicles were Mustang motorcycles and Cushman motor scooters. Yep. That road GMR would be cool. It wasn't a road back then that I knew of. We rode bicycles down the fire breaks for thrills or even more dangerous just ran. Route 66 was the major road.
Loved it.

MikeCool
Lou W
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Oct 13 2006, 06:58 PM) *

I lived in Glendora and went to Citrus Union. Family car was a Hudson Hornet. This was a long time ago. Looked at a Live Local Map, bird's eye view and could see the house is still there. The only racing I did then was on Sierra Madre Ave. The racing was done on Roller skates and the course was over several miles. That BIG dip still in the road. The vehicles were Mustang motorcycles and Cushman motor scooters. Yep. That road GMR would be cool. It wasn't a road back then that I knew of. We rode bicycles down the fire breaks for thrills or even more dangerous just ran. Route 66 was the major road.
Loved it.

MikeCool

So what year did you graduate? Didn't a NFL quarterback come out of that school? UPDATE: Yeah, Billy Kilmer, played for Washington Redskins
cooltimes
Yeah. Billy Kilmer. I didn't know him. He didn't attend Citrus Union HS when I did.

My fun was individual sports like diving, track, skating and swimming. I only weighed 95 lbs and was 5'6". Still 5'6" but weigh nearly twice that now about 60 years later.
BTW gasoline was about $.10 gallon back then, movies $.12 and the girls, just like today, the prettiest. 1st pizza at that old Italian place over on Rt. 66 next to Hummel's service station.
Pudding Stone was where the Hell's Angel's gathered every Sunday, scaring the crap out of everyone and Seal beach where everyone went to swim. Knott's Berry Farm was where you got the best fried chicken, homemade jams and jelly.
Mr. & Mrs Knott's cooked it.
ElMonte had the best platform diving as well as the 1st drive in theater I ever went to.
Girl friend, Sally C, now a movie mogul from Azusa bleached my hair while I took a snooze. Dad made me shave it all off. Yep. Glendora was fun then too. You guys when on GMR, do a hairpin twisty for me.
Old for sure but always cool,
MikeCool
So.Cal.914
Mike I was born in 1957 the first house my parents bought was one block north of

Sierra Madre on Grand Ave. And just about everything you mentioned we did also.

It was a great place to grow up and I have fond memories of wearing my flat

bottom boots and running up to speed and then sking down the fire breaks.

How did we survive? GMR was one of the best mountian roads around but I think

it claimed at least one of all of our friends. It is not a road you want to turn your

back on. The last sunday of every month we would go to Knotts for chicken

with my Grandparents and Puddingstone was a place you went to fish, I hear

it is different now. Lou W and I had a good friend in common, just one more

reason why I am glad I found this club. Chances are I wouldn't know eather of

you, small world.

cooltimes
I was forced to take dancing lessons at a house on Grand. It would have been very close to the house you grew up in.
Went one time and then lied to my Dad. Wish I had taken the lessons.
I really did like living there. Heck, what kid wouldn't?
Running in those boots got me laughing. Wife asked why. I told her you could get going pretty fast. Soon your feet couldn't keep up and the pebbles covering the fire breaks made you slip slide and before long you were headed face up, into the brush, stickers and all. Bicycles were only ridden by nuts. I did it one time. Pushing a bike up there was harder than riding down while screaming, look, got no hands. Few old mansions up at the top end of Grand. Still there? There was a boys military academy across the road and down a long driveway from the biggest one I can remember. Bill Gates couldn't afford it I hear.
Ever ride the irrigation ditch? On the North West side of Glendora, high up, there was an irrigation ditch and you could body surf all the way to the bottom, ALMOST. There was a gate near the bottom. Man that was fun until you slammed into the grate gate.
PE still run there? We were the end of the line, turntrack, when I lived there. Flares from a parked PE was common booty for us nuts. Poker with hubcaps for chips kept us busy.
I lived on Vista Bonita. Corner house, Vista Bonita and Carroll. Dan Faye was the Chief of Police. He got me for collecting his 4 poker chips. LOL

Well back to the future.
Been fun. Glad we met. BTW. I like your avatar better than any others on here.
Expresses what this list is about. Cars, People and fun.
MikeCool

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 13 2006, 10:24 PM) *

Mike I was born in 1957 the first house my parents bought was one block north of

it claimed at least one of all of our friends. It is not a road you want to turn your

you, small world.

So.Cal.914
Amen. Talk to ya later Mike.
Lou W
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Oct 13 2006, 09:19 PM) *

I was forced to take dancing lessons at a house on Grand. It would have been very close to the house you grew up in.
Went one time and then lied to my Dad. Wish I had taken the lessons.
I really did like living there. Heck, what kid wouldn't?
Running in those boots got me laughing. Wife asked why. I told her you could get going pretty fast. Soon your feet couldn't keep up and the pebbles covering the fire breaks made you slip slide and before long you were headed face up, into the brush, stickers and all. Bicycles were only ridden by nuts. I did it one time. Pushing a bike up there was harder than riding down while screaming, look, got no hands. Few old mansions up at the top end of Grand. Still there? There was a boys military academy across the road and down a long driveway from the biggest one I can remember. Bill Gates couldn't afford it I hear.
Ever ride the irrigation ditch? On the North West side of Glendora, high up, there was an irrigation ditch and you could body surf all the way to the bottom, ALMOST. There was a gate near the bottom. Man that was fun until you slammed into the grate gate.
PE still run there? We were the end of the line, turntrack, when I lived there. Flares from a parked PE was common booty for us nuts. Poker with hubcaps for chips kept us busy.
I lived on Vista Bonita. Corner house, Vista Bonita and Carroll. Dan Faye was the Chief of Police. He got me for collecting his 4 poker chips. LOL

Well back to the future.
Been fun. Glad we met. BTW. I like your avatar better than any others on here.
Expresses what this list is about. Cars, People and fun.
MikeCool

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 13 2006, 10:24 PM) *

you, small world.

Mrs. La Fetra (Rainbird) passed away a few years ago, her mansion is still there, so is the Singer Mansion, which was recently remodeled.

There were two Military Schools in Glendora, Brown Military Academy and Harding Military Academy, I went to Harding when I was in third grade sad.gif ar15.gif , the property is now owned by a church, most of the original buildings are still there, Brown closed down too, it was located next to St. Lucy's Catholic High School.

Glendora still has the small town charm, but politics are ugly...a developer wants to build a new Country Club in the hills, buy the current one and build houses on it, that really pissed off the homeowners that thought they were backing up to a Country Club. Houses are very expensive there now, my mom's condo 1380 sp. ft is worth $450,000.00.

I do miss Glendora....sure had lots of fun there.
So.Cal.914
[quote name='Lou W' date='Oct 13 2006, 10:15 PM' post='794294']

[/quote]

Mrs. La Fetra (Rainbird) passed away a few years ago, her mansion is still there, so is the Singer Mansion, which was recently remodeled.

I took ediquit lessons from Mrs. Lafetra, I went to lafetra school.

There were two Military Schools in Glendora, Brown Military Academy and Harding Military Academy, I went to Harding when I was in third grade sad.gif ar15.gif , the property is now owned by a church, most of the original buildings are still there, Brown closed down too, it was located next to St. Lucy's Catholic High School.

A friend of mine went to Harding, I was surprised, he was more screwed up than I was. biggrin.gif
Glendora still has the small town charm, but politics are ugly...a developer wants to build a new Country Club in the hills, buy the current one and build houses on it, that really pissed off the homeowners that thought they were backing up to a Country Club. Houses are very expensive there now, my mom's condo 1380 sp. ft is worth $450,000.00.
The first house my parents bought it Glendora was above Sierra Madre. They
paid 47,950.00 . Naah things havn't changed much.

I do miss Glendora....sure had lots of fun there.

I hear you Lou, had alot of good friends their, and better times.
[/quote]
Lou W
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 13 2006, 11:24 PM) *

A friend of mine went to Harding, I was surprised, he was more screwed up than I was. biggrin.gif

I probably know him, I know a few too. huh.gif

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 13 2006, 11:30 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 13 2006, 11:24 PM) *

I probably know him, I know a few too. huh.gif

If you knew him you will remember this name right away, Frank Argelander.

Changed his name to Landers.
Lou W
I remember Frank, he lived around the block from me, I new his sister Rosy. Why did he change his name? The last I had heard was that he was a body gaurd for Eric Estrada? was that true?

I knew Stuart Clemmens and Tom Mondock from Harding, Tom is no longer around.
So.Cal.914
Yup thats Frank. Well he was with Eric for a while until they had a falling out.

Did the same for some singer until he got his SEG card and got into the Biz. He

married Woody Strode's daughter (Woody lived up on the hill above Glendora Ave)

you remember Woody his big parts were in Ten commandments, Spartacus and a slew of other

movies. Opened a Karate studio on Alosta in front of Bill's motorcycle repair and

did OK until June and him devorsed. He than married another girl and moved out

of town, last I heard from him he had moved up north and became a cop. Scary.
Lou W
I remember Woody, black actor, tall, good looking guy, wore a cowboy hat dressed to the nines. I remember seeing him walking around downtown a long time ago. Wow, that sure was a long time ago, I didn't know he had a daughter or much more about him.

Since you hung out with Frank Argelander, you must have known Frank O'Connell?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 14 2006, 12:35 AM) *

I remember Woody, black actor, tall, good looking guy, wore a cowboy hat dressed to the nines. I remember seeing him walking around downtown a long time ago. Wow, that sure was a long time ago, I didn't know he had a daughter or much more about him.

Since you hung out with Frank Argelander, you must have known Frank O'Connell?

Frank O'Connell and I played sports together and hung out at school, don't know

what happened to him I heard a rumor but didn't believe it.
Aaron Cox
man...

looks like you guys had a 7/10 fun run down memory lane rolleyes.gif
Lou W
[quote name='So.Cal.914' date='Oct 14 2006, 09:27 AM' post='794459']
[/quote]

Frank O'Connell and I played sports together and hung out at school, don't know

what happened to him I heard a rumor but didn't believe it.
[/quote]

Yes it's true, I'm not sure if Vacaville, somewhere up north, I talked to his sister Libbie at the 20th and 30th High School Reunions. He's married now, has a son, hopes to get out soon, but not sure that will happen, been in since shortly out of High School, I think he got Life, without parole. What a waste, bright future, etc. huh.gif

[quote name='Aaron Cox' date='Oct 14 2006, 09:38 AM' post='794463']
man...

looks like you guys had a 7/10 fun run down memory lane rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

Sorry for the hijacked.gif Aaron,

Say, why don't you take your car for a spin through your new neighborhood? driving.gif ph34r.gif

I'd like to go for a 7/10 fun ride next time I see you, maybe at the GGR Swap Meet.

Again, Sorry for the hijack. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
lou i dont care LOL
Lou W
biggrin.gif It's funny, the people that I've known and the stories, some are pretty amazing, I could write a fuchin book. Someday, maybe another thread type.gif
So.Cal.914
Damn, Lou thats was the rumor, I don't know what to say.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.