Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GGR AX #9 at Alameda
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DanT
Saturday October 28

Last event of the season....
I have been asked to design the course for our Halloween event....

I have submitted a design, and am waiting to hear back from the "group of four" to see if it is going to be approved.

Hopefully this course will strike everyone as a "Treat" and not a " Trick" biggrin.gif

I have tried to address some of the suggestions and complaints that have been aired over the last few months, here and elsewhere.
It will be wider than the courses of late and will avoid the 180deg switchback turns we have been seeing of late. Oh and NO loops smile.gif and a lot less cones. burnout.gif

I will post it as soon as I get approval... driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 11 2006, 10:48 PM) *

Saturday October 28

I have submitted a design, and am waiting to hear back from the "group of four" to see if it is going to be approved.

Hopefully this course will strike everyone as a "Treat" and not a " Trick" biggrin.gif

I have tried to address some of the suggestions and complaints that have been aired over the last few months, here and elsewhere.
It will be wider than the courses of late and will avoid the 180deg switchback turns we have been seeing of late. Oh and NO loops smile.gif and a lot less cones. burnout.gif

Dan,

I am sure it will be great. I will try to be there... I think we have an event the day before but I haven't checked my schedule.

Rob
nine14cats
If our agressive build schedule goes as planned Randal and I will be there for the inaugural AX of "Lucille".

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 12 2006, 06:47 AM) *

I'll be in a plane retuning from Korea. sad.gif

Man...I don't miss those days... barf.gif

Do you get to fly business class? I was lucky enough that my company allowed me the biz class option due to my amount of time over in Asia. When I traveled coach....that blew chow.... barf.gif

Bill P.
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 11 2006, 11:33 PM) *

If our agressive build schedule goes as planned Randal and I will be there for the inaugural AX of "Lucille".

Bill P.

Can't wait to see it. beerchug.gif
Trekkor
I'll try to make this one , too.
I'll run the 710's all day as well. mueba.gif

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Oct 12 2006, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 11 2006, 11:33 PM) *

Bill P.

Can't wait to see it. beerchug.gif

Thanks Chris,

It should be fun. The Boxster can't compete for TTOD against you folks as it will be too heavy. The car is being built to a track spec, so we'll see how it goes. Ken Jones and Boris Elpiner are the only two Boxster drivers consistently finishing in the top 15 at the AX's and Ken has several top 10's. That will most likely be our target for success. Good day if we grab a top 15, great day if we grab a top 10. For this first AX, I have no idea what to expect from the car. It may be fun to stick around for fun runs and have Andrew drive it as well and give us his impressions....

Next year we will try to give you a run for your money with BPR's Raby monster. And Fritz may make an appearance or two next year as well.

Bill P.
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 11 2006, 10:48 PM) *

Saturday October 28

"Treat and not a Trick"..... You would bring that up.

I trust that the imbecile move made at the Monster Park Halloween course, a few years ago, doesn't get repeated.

Not everyone, including myself, was told that there was a major course change made at lunch. Actually there were two.

I ended up going off the course at about 60mph when I came to a broad "sweeper" that had been changed into a 90 degree corner; on the fastest part of the course.

That little exercise gets my vote for the stupidest thing I ever seen done at a GGR event. Someone could have been hurt.
nebreitling
think they'd take a shifter kart?
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 12 2006, 08:54 AM) *

think they'd take a shifter kart?

Why don't you e-mail Bill.

At the very least you'd think he'd let you run during the fun run time. Just show up late and run. You probably want to offer to help clean up, the track that is as we know your time would shine. biggrin.gif

Do you need his e-mail address?
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 12 2006, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 12 2006, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 12 2006, 06:47 AM) *

I'll be in a plane retuning from Korea. sad.gif

Man...I don't miss those days... barf.gif

Do you get to fly business class? I was lucky enough that my company allowed me the biz class option due to my amount of time over in Asia. When I traveled coach....that blew chow.... barf.gif

Bill P.

I have always traveled business class. We changed policy for sr. management to fly economy class as a cost savings measure. That will be a problem when I run out of upgrades next year. I'll probably just negotiate a pay increase that allows me to pay for upgrades out of pocket. I agree economy class blows when you travel to Asia on a regular basis like me.

I also thought it would be fun to fly to Seoul within artillery range of North Korea as we threaten a Naval blockade.

OT, but responding to Grant’s comments:

Having traveled to Asia about as much as anyone alive I have strong opinions on "business class travel." If a company doesn't support this they are simply putting their people into a mental/physical deficit that will cost them business.

We were pretty lucky in the 90's as our company paid for business class, but we always secured upgrades to first. My last three years traveling to Asia was all first class. smile.gif

Of course going west is a lot easier than east. It is extremely important, when heading east to sleep as much as possible to keep the dreaded “Jet Lag” syndrome away. The three things that guarantee you'll have huge jet lag are booze, lack of sleep and dehydration. Put those three together, in a different time zone and you just lost 20% of your brain. blink.gif
DanT
OK....here is the course in rudimentary status...

I like to make my final decisions and adjustments on the ground....

But the course should be very similar to what you see here...
Minimum width is 30', it will be even wider if the area allows...I am going to try to also have at least 30' at the gates and boxes also....no narrow stuff if possible.

popcorn[1].gif

Nomex on welder.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 12 2006, 04:35 PM) *

OK....here is the course in rudimentary status...

I like to make my final decisions and adjustments on the ground....

But the course should be very similar to what you see here...

popcorn[1].gif

Nomex on welder.gif

Looks like a fun course.

Only observation, if the course isn't lined there are parts that will become, "sea of cones." blink.gif

What is the plan? smile.gif
DanT
Yes Grant but the right side of the course should favor the HP cars... smile.gif

Randal, course will be lined. smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Why do you line course again??

My instructors tell me to look "ahead"

I dont follow the white lines on a road course, why would I follow them on an AutoX course.

Honestly.. I have never seen them while running a course. I must be focusing on something else?? confused24.gif

B
DanT
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 12 2006, 05:06 PM) *

Why do you line course again??

My instructors tell me to look "ahead"

I dont follow the white lines on a road course, why would I follow them on an AutoX course.

Honestly.. I have never seen them while running a course. I must be focusing on something else?? confused24.gif

B

Brad, GGR/zone7 rules mandate the course to be lined....we also do it to make it more newbie friendly. blink.gif
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 12 2006, 05:06 PM) *

Are there girls at the Alaemda AX? cool.gif
JK - but I am hoping to go this time and find out for myself. Straight line is the fastest , right?
beerchug.gif
Trekkor
I'm looking foward to this one, Dan.

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 12 2006, 09:28 PM) *

KT

Good, at least there will be a few914s this time...last time it was just me and the Smurf.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 12 2006, 09:28 PM) *

KT

No kidding? You're looking forward to this one Trekkor? AS IF there was an autocross or track event you dreaded!!!! driving.gif
Demick
I'm in. Hope I remember how to drive.

Demick
Brad Roberts
Brad, GGR/zone7 rules mandate the course to be lined....we also do it to make it more newbie friendly

I know it is the rule, but do you honestly *believe* it helps the newbies? Your professional opinion biggrin.gif

My personal opinion: waste of time

B

Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 13 2006, 12:51 PM) *

Brad, GGR/zone7 rules mandate the course to be lined....we also do it to make it more newbie friendly

I know it is the rule, but do you honestly *believe* it helps the newbies? Your professional opinion biggrin.gif

My personal opinion: waste of time

B

Guess it depends upon whether or not you want the drivers looking for better lines or just looking for cones.
Brad Roberts
They use a taller apex cone down here and "semi" place it in the right spots. There is NO way you will line a course down here. It would take 3 50lb bags of white powder to cover a 1.3 mile course..LOL

The white lines GGR uses reminds me of a "handicap" or a crutch for the newbies. Make them learn. I dont even look at the lines when I'm watching someone elses video!!! LOL

B
Trekkor
I like the lines, always have.

Even if the course is a filthy sea of cones, at least you can still find you way.

KT
J P Stein
We had a small problem at our last AX....no map/s.
They were still in the copying machine, I heard....
So, I laid out the start half and my co-worker laid out the finish half....one of them back of a napkin deals.
I got done & figured I'd beter walk it. I got about 1/3rd of the way thru the finish half
& got lost biggrin.gif This is gonna need some work, I sez to myself.
We use pointer arrows in the center of the lane where where things get "iffy" and laydown wall cones meaning "don't go this way".

At ORPCA, the course shown would use about 25% of the cones shown on the map, would prolly be a bit faster for the fast guys, would have a lot less running for the cone chasers.....and wouldn't need any lines as it is pretty simple....maybe an arrow or 2.

Here's a smaple of one of our courses. The long direction is 1000/1200 feet....WAG.
Not necessarly better than GGR, but we are firm believers in KISS. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 14 2006, 09:37 AM) *

Here is an example of a well designed SCCA course from inside a car. Open yet challenging, nice wide corners, no sea of cones, no artifical complexity, very intuitive for beginners and it's a well marked course. Its very typical of what I have seen with most SCCA venues I have attended.

http://www.4d-sport.com/images/AutoX_2005_09_25__Jason_4.wmv

If I show up for the Alameda I'll run my camera to show the signficant contrast in driver expereince from behind the wheel.

If you read Roger Johnson's SCCA booklet at:

http://www.houscca.com/solo/courses/coursedesign.zip one can learn how-to design a proper course that flows like the video, which is a good example.

BTW if you read Roger's booklet and seriously attempt to build a course, based upon the education you received therein, Roger will critique your design (great feedback).

All in all a good way to keep yourself, as a course designer honest, not designing a 914 or 911 course, but a real autox course that hopefully flows well, isn't a sea of cones, one that allows for lots of driver input and is safe.

Getting a course to flow well at the Marina is always a challenge, especially if you start designing with the safety of the course workers in mind, while Alameda is much easier.
DanT
Glad to hear Demick and possibly Grant will be in attendance....

Damn,, that means I will be at least two places down the overall standings. And if Trekkor shows....oh well

And if BillP shows with the spec Box.....this is starting to make me sad.... chairfall.gif
Oh, thats right....I need to teach Bill how to drive the Boxster first....you know...what is the word...oh yea....momentum chairfall.gif No more 3.6Ls worth of torque for him.

At least the 914s can end the season kicking some hiney biggrin.gif

I only need a 5th or better to win AX 11 for the season....and that is with only 5 attended events out of 9.
Trekkor
Oh, I'll be there... wink.gif

Will you ride along and offer some instruction?

Thanks,

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 15 2006, 09:18 PM) *

Oh, I'll be there... wink.gif

Will you ride along and offer some instruction?

Thanks,

KT

We'll get together sometime during the day for sure smile.gif
Trekkor
Will you sign me up for A.M. course set-up?

KT
DanT
Not my call....that is up to the AX series chairs.

They send out a notification thru the GGR website.

If you aren't signed up to get GGR announcements, you should do that.
The AX chairs send out a notice about a week before the event
You need to respond almost immediately. the jobs fill up fast because it counts as your days work assignment.
They do about 6-8 for course set up, 3-4 for tech and 2 for morning security.
Trekkor
Yes, I'm already primed for the notifications. I've signed up many times in the past.

I'll be standing by.

KT
DanT
Oh well Grant, just think of that nice fresh motor in your lightened car for next season. chowtime.gif drooley.gif
nebreitling
update: might be in driving my 'other car' (me and the future-brother-in-law and his firehawk).
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 19 2006, 07:14 PM) *

update: might be in driving my 'other car' (me and the future-brother-in-law and his firehawk).

Cool! It will be a big fast sedan shoot out. I just got my fatter tires 235/40/18 BFG KDW2's on BBS replicas for the Mazdaspeed.
DanT
cool.....sedan racing biggrin.gif

should be ineresting with all those transitions at speed blink.gif

Let's see idea.gif 3000#s, rear wheel drive, 300+ HP,,,,,can you say snap spin smile.gif

3400#s, 275+HP, all wheel drive....can you say PUSH smile.gif

This should be interesting clap56.gif
carreraguy
Finally got 914AROO back from the shop - this will be my first autox in this car - should be "interesting".
Later,
DanT
Tom, does that response mean you will be at Alameda?
If so that will be great. It will be great to see your car and see how it runs...

biggrin.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 20 2006, 08:15 AM) *

Tom, does that response mean you will be at Alameda?
If so that will be great. It will be great to see your car and see how it runs...

biggrin.gif

Dan:
Yep - I'm planning on attending. Drove the car at PCA parade laps at Laguna today - great time, but boy it seems slicker than the last time I drove there!! Must be that re-paving for MotoGP.
Later,
DanT
icon_bump.gif
Trekkor
I won't run out of gas this time. dry.gif

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 23 2006, 08:39 AM) *

I won't run out of gas this time. dry.gif

KT

chairfall.gif
Trekkor
It's OK, I have my "secret Sweeper splitter" now.

Oooooooh.... idea.gif

KT
DanT
av-943.gif

Tires look a bit larger now too biggrin.gif
914forme
Grant, what camera system do you use?
Brad Roberts
I cant beleive you posted a picture of Zip ties...LOL

B
914forme
So what do you use to give you this?
nebreitling
okay, Vladimir and I are confirmed! 3400#s, 350 hp, and a live axle on crappy street tires. should be quite a handful at an AX.
DanT
should be good for a nice 360 at the far end on the out leg biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.