Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (Forever) cold start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adamfl
Here's the scenario. If the car is cold it takes a whole lot of cranking to get it going. Like ten minutes of crank crank crank crank pause crank crank crank crank pause (all the while pumping the gas pedal or holding down).........then eventually it stutters a few times and then it fires up and all is well with the world. Idles fine, hesitates a little until warm and then is as smooth as could be.

It's a 2.0L (allegedly) with dual carbs and facet fuel pump. Relatively new starter that spins the motor plenty quick.

Is this a common thing? Where should I be looking first? Thanks.
tdgray
Not real up on carbs but are you sure you are getting enough fuel pressure?

Jets clogged?

Float bowls working properly?
mudfoot76
I have a 2.0L w/carbs and had a similar problem awhile back.

If the motor turns over but won't start, either you have a problem with spark or fuel delivery. In my case, the problem was with fuel delivery. The hex bar linkage slipped out of adjustment and not enough air was going through the carbs. The only way it would start is if the throttle was wide open. So I would suggest to make sure that you are getting fuel to the carbs, and then check that it is mixing with the correct amount of air.

Probably wouldn't hurt to check your spark plugs and check the color.
Hope this helps beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.