Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Save My 901 Gear Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GBallantine
Has anyone developed a lockout device for I st gear? I've seen examples of spring tensioned drop in pin devices. Would anyone have a pics or info on who sells such a set up.

Thanks Gord B
So.Cal.914
Did I read that right, 1st gear? confused24.gif
propricer
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 12 2006, 10:55 AM) *

Did I read that right, 1st gear? confused24.gif

Years ago, I raced against this guy with a 914 that had fabricated a simple rod that pivoted on a hinge and locked into place to lock out both reverse and 1st. It worked for him - which is all that counts !!!

Sorry, no pix ... it was REAL simple
jackmc
QUOTE(GBallantine @ Oct 12 2006, 01:23 PM) *

Has anyone developed a lockout device for I st gear? I've seen examples of spring tensioned drop in pin devices. Would anyone have a pics or info on who sells such a set up.

Thanks Gord B

I have one on my car. It's the red ball with the silver shaft in the lower center of the picture. When you push the ball down 1st and reverse are locked out. Pull the ball up and they're back. I think it is one of the spring tensioned drop in pin devices. It was built by shop here ,Powertech,www.pwr-tech.com. You could contact them and see if they'll build one for you. I don't think it was real expensive.
GBallantine
QUOTE(jackmc @ Oct 12 2006, 11:06 AM) *

Thanks Gord B

I have one on my car. It's the red ball with the silver shaft in the lower center of the picture. When you push the ball down 1st and reverse are locked out. Pull the ball up and they're back. I think it is one of the spring tensioned drop in pin devices. It was built by shop here ,Powertech,www.pwr-tech.com. You could contact them and see if they'll build one for you. I don't think it was real expensive.

That's exactly what I'm after. A lock out that can be engaged when required. Any chance you have a better pic? It's difficult to see the whole unit.

Thanks Gord B
JPB
Ahhh, I needs one of them thingies also.

beer.gif Pics and vendor for a kit
please?
jackmc
QUOTE(GBallantine @ Oct 12 2006, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(jackmc @ Oct 12 2006, 11:06 AM) *

Thanks Gord B

That's exactly what I'm after. A lock out that can be engaged when required. Any chance you have a better pic? It's difficult to see the whole unit.

Thanks Gord B

I'll try to get a better picture of it tomorrow and I see if I can find the receipt to give you an idea on the cost. Hmmm, looking through my 914 bills, I better have a few beers first.
ein 6er
here are a couple of shots i got at an HSR race of 1st/ R lockouts.
the last shot is a lockout too, (i think).

Dave_Darling
A local guy (John Beck, back when he had a 914) fabbed up a little hinged aluminum bit for his autoXer. When he shifted out of 1st, he'd flip the hinged bit, which was down at the base of the gear shift lever, and it would stop the lever from moving into the 1st/rev gate. Very simple, and relatively unobtrusive. Sorry, no pics.

--DD
jackmc

Thanks Gord B
[/quote]

Here's a picture with the ball down, 1st and reverse locked out
jackmc

Thanks Gord B
[/quote]

The ball is up and 1st and reverse are back.
Aaron Cox
how does it work?
Mueller
[quote name='jackmc' date='Oct 13 2006, 01:11 PM' post='794016']

Thanks Gord B
[/quote]

Here's a picture with the ball down, 1st and reverse locked out
[/quote]

that looks nice, those other solutions posted look mickey mouse and pretty darn dangerous if one was to get in an accident.........

is there a detent for the ball to stay in the up position?

jackmc
that looks nice, those other solutions posted look mickey mouse and pretty darn dangerous if one was to get in an accident.........

is there a detent for the ball to stay in the up position?
[/quote]

There's no detent just a tight fit between the shaft and the collar sections. It's lasted two years with lots of DEs and two drivers.
jackmc
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 13 2006, 04:15 PM) *

how does it work?

I don't know how it works. It was fabricated by a Porsche shop here in NJ when they were replacing a broken 1st gear on my 901. I spend too much time taking apart things on the car that don't work to spend any taking something apart that does.

I'll have to take a look though.
Brad Roberts
Simple.

It physically stops the shift rod from moving to the right (which is what happens when you move the shifter to the left for 1st/R)

B
Brad Roberts
I like it much better than some of the hacked shit in the pics above.. biggrin.gif

B
Joe Bob
I had a little sign that I taped to my dash.....

1st gear burn outs + alcohol = $$$$$$$

Stopped me about 95% of the time......
Brad Roberts
The cool part? They bolted it down using an existing hole (the heater lever hole)

B
brant
what kinda power are you putting out.
(ie: why so afraid to use first gear on track)

I'm currently using my "F" 901 first gear on the track lap after lap.
its great. The tranny should be fine.

Its cheaper to rebuild these boxes than it is to blow up a motor!

brant
jackmc
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 13 2006, 06:45 PM) *

what kinda power are you putting out.
(ie: why so afraid to use first gear on track)

I'm currently using my "F" 901 first gear on the track lap after lap.
its great. The tranny should be fine.

Its cheaper to rebuild these boxes than it is to blow up a motor!

brant

The car has 195 rear wheel hp but the lockout is there just to prevent stupid driver error. I start out in 1st then put the lockout in. With the lockout in I can't accidentally engage 1st when I'm going for 3rd I also prevents nicking 1st when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Joe Bob
Rennshift and I think WEVO make a 901 shifter with variable lock out tension and shift throw......
brant
hmm..
you can do the lock out.
but I've never had a problem with 1st gear on the track.
(I have had problems with 3rd to 4th, hitting 2nd by accident)
but never ever first or reverse.

I'd recommend you do all of the shift rod modifications.
get a really good shifter.
do all of the bushing modifications
do all of the special tricks
and not worry about 1st/reverse.

shift slow and deliberate and you will never ever need a 1st gear lock out.

brant
GBallantine
[quote name='jackmc' date='Oct 13 2006, 12:14 PM' post='794018']

Thanks Gord B
[/quote]

The ball is up and 1st and reverse are back.
[/quote]

I spoke to the guys at Power Tech and they quoted me $ 550 to build the lockout device. Do you remember how much you paid? Does this seem right?

GB
Joe Bob
Guess I'm missing something.....why would you want a MANUAL lock out when a Rennshift can give you the close to the same safety margin AND get a precision, variable throw shifter?
Mueller

I spoke to the guys at Power Tech and they quoted me $ 550 to build the lockout device. Do you remember how much you paid? Does this seem right?

GB

$550????

That should be about a $125 (for a one-off if paying someone) item

The red ball can be sourced from Reid Tool for $3 and the rest of parts cannot cost that much more.
Joe Bob
agree.gif

Shoulda said that in my earlier post....$550.....should come with a happy finish preceeded with a reach around....
Aaron Cox
ok.. ill add my vote for rennshifter.....

cheaper and better in all aspects....

im sure mueller can make the pin that drops down and blocks rotation of the rod... for cheap....

just get a rennschmifter smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.