Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark Plugs / Coil / Distrbutor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bribar
I just posted the question about the 36 Webers. I am trying to get a new to me 914 2.0 sorted out and would appreciate any advice.

I just pulled out the plugs, no3 had an autolight plug the other three cylinders had a 4mm longer reach Champion plug. What the heck?

I just picked up Bosh w7cc super plugs from the local family owned German parts store. These are the same length as the shorter reach AutoLight plug on the number 3 cylinder.

I also picked up a Super Blue Coil. Old black coil looks like it has seen better days.

The distributor is a vaccum advance unit, which I don't believe will ever work properly with the Webers. I want a cyntrifugal advance bosch dizzy, I am not springing for the Mallory right now. So which one? 009, 050, 010?

In addition the plug wire on number three has a 4 inck long insulator on it, while the others are normal. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Brian
73 914 2.0
61 356 T5B
So.Cal.914
Run the Bosch plugs they will do nicely, an 010 or the 050 should have the

advance you need, stay away from the 009. On the wires a pic would help

on this end.
jk76.914
The insulator sounds like its from a wire set for 1.7, 1.8 or a VW 2.0. They have the #2 and #4 plugs drilled close to vertical, and need the longer insulator to reach up to the cooling shroud. The Porsche version of the 2.0 has these plugs drilled at a shallower angle, almost horizontal in the assembled engine, so they emerge from the shroud at the side and use the shorter insulator.

Yours should work fine, but look maybe a little funny. You can actually buy the insulators separately. They're either made by Bosch or Beru, and they actually unscrew from the wire. I'd probably replace the wire set, though, since you're looking at replacing the rest of the ignition anyway. Bad wires can cause weird problems that are a bear to trace down. Better to start off with fresh.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.