Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Annular Clutch Release Bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
edgetoo
Has anyone used an annular clutch release bearing assembly?

Also, has anyone installed a Hewland MK 8 (or MK 9) in a 914.

(we are looking for an easier way to change gear sets in a track car.)

Ed
JFJ914
No direct experience and approx 25 years since I last fooled around with formula cars, so here goes. Assuming the Mk8 is the Formula Ford style gearbox and the Mk9 is the Formula Super Vee gearbox, you need to fabricate new hangers forward of the stock ones on the chassis over the axle centerlines to mount the box. The S/V box is built in the correct direction of trans section lower than the differential and bellhousing. The F/F is flipped over and the trunk floor would need to be cut away for clearence. Clutch, T/O bearing, and linkage need to be fabed to suit.

Really, not to hard if you can fabricate and weld. Very expensive if you need to have someone else do it!
Brad Roberts
Hey Ed,

I have pics:

Here is a hyd. throwout bearing assembly from WEVO that we use.

B
Brad Roberts
I have pics of a hewland in a 9146 somewhere. Its a Brumos car.

FYI: PCA club racing doesnt allow it and SCCA ads something like 80-100lbs to the EP and FP cars.

B
Dave_Darling
I believe that someone puts the guts from a Hewland box into a Porsche transaxle case, and that gets around the PCA restriction. Not sure if it avoids the weight penalty in SCCA or not.

Sadly, I do not remember who does this. I do recall hearing that it was not anywhere near to "cheap"...

--DD
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 4 2003, 03:38 PM)
I believe that someone puts the guts from a Hewland box into a Porsche transaxle case...

Sadly, I do not remember who does this. I do recall hearing that it was not anywhere near to "cheap"...

Dennis Sherman was doing this back in 1975; it works because - quelle amazement the shaft centerline in a 901 box is exactly the same as the Hewland. probably because the original Hewland was (IIRC) basically a hotrodded VW case...

i don't know how much easier it would be to change the gear stack over a 901 gears - but you do get the straight-cut gears (less drag, cool sound...) and lightning-quick (but harsh) dog-ring synchros.

i've seen pros change the gear stack in a 901 over a lunch break, so probably it's a matter of practice ...
ChrisFoley
There is currently no weight penalty for running an alternate gearbox in a 914 in SCCA Production. However it must be a 5 speed box.
Brad Roberts
Chris,

did this change when they went to the different FP cars ?? (full prep/mild prep) ??

Or is this rule still in effect for the EP cars ??

I went over this back in 2000 but havent read the rules recently.

I have a local guy running Hewland gears in a 901 (in a 911). He had a custom mainshaft built.

B
914Timo
Sorry, I am not going to steal this thread, but may I ask if WEVO have same kind of hyd. throwout bearing assembly to the 901 boxes ??

If they do, how much ?? I want one. wub.gif
Brad Roberts
I have spoken to them about making a version for the 901, but I dont know if they are moving forward on the project or not.

B
914Timo
I have spoken to them about making a version for the 901, but I dont know if they are moving forward on the project or not.

Oh, damn...... mad.gif

That is absolutely beautiful part. Piece of art wub.gif

BTW, anybody know the webb address of WEVO. It is not www.WEVO.com ??
Brad Roberts
Its is:

http://www.wevo.com/

B
914Timo
Its is:

Oh, sorry. I tried that, but didnt scroll the page down enough. When I saw something about housebouts, I thought that can not be the right page and address. laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Haydens brother builds carbon composite boats in Australia.

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 5 2003, 03:16 AM)
Chris,

did this change when they went to the different FP cars ?? (full prep/mild prep) ??

Or is this rule still in effect for the EP cars ??

I checked the '98 GCR and the only difference back then was the allowance of sequential shift boxes with a 50 lb penalty.
Certain cars have weight penalties for alternate gearboxes listed on their spec line, but not the 914.
Another thing I noticed is the 1.7/1.8 cars (formerly in EP) are allowed 4 or 5 speeds, while the 2 liter currently in EP and the limited prep 1.8 in GP are required to have 5.
The whole full prep/limited prep thing is complicated since some of the new EP cars classified a just few years ago have their limitations on the spec line for their car (they are not truly limited prep). Most of the limited prep cars are subject to a list of special rules in the body of the rulebook. At this point the only 914 that is classified as limited prep is the GP 1.8 liter that has to run on the factory L-Jet FI in addition to having suspension limitations.
edgetoo
Thanks Chris,
Only a sequential box gets the WT penalty.

The issue is technical:
Finding a slave cyl and TO bearing that is low enough to fit.
Finding a clutch pack small enough to fit.
Flywheel must be orig. dia.(starter ring gear)
While box must be mounted upright (FSV, FMazda, VW, Porsche),
with Ring gear on left side, shift linkage could be FF, FSV, or FM.

Thanks for the Pix. Are there any dimentions available?

(Need all the help I can get to catch up to Chris.)

Ed
JFJ914
Please post the pictures here.
TMorr
914Timo,

Yes, we have a 901 annular hydraulic release mechansim.
The mechanism is for a push center clutch - not pull center, be aware of this for your application (?).

The kit with all hardware and lines out of the bellhousing is $725.

This does not include the actual bearing, as that might be specific to your application too.

Our kit is designed for the Tilton 5.5" flywheel mounted on our XT_057 flywheel, once again it might need spacing or something else for a different application.

Regards

Hayden
Brad Roberts
Duh. I held one at the German Autofest. WEVO sells a kit for the 901 (like Hayden said above).

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.