Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Definition of Minimum Weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Rough_Rider
I was told years ago never to ask a question i didn't want to know the answer to. As i don't want to feel as if i'm cheating i gotta ask

What is SCCA's official line on minimum weight. Does it include driver or No?
Furthermore it doesn't specify if this is a dry (no oil, fuel, or other liquids) or wet weight.

Searching 2006 rule book I see 55 references to min weight but only 2 that specify a definition & they contradict each other ! screwy.gif

p130 Min weight is with driver for modified catageroy
p174 min weight is without driverfor modified XP catageory

FYI, 914 in XP = 1200lb, +200lb per liter, +20lb per liter mid mount engine)
Eg 2.7 = 1200 + 540 + 54 = 1794 lb
Dave-O
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Oct 12 2006, 02:55 PM) *

What is SCCA's official line on minimum weight. Does it include driver or No?
Furthermore it doesn't specify if this is a dry (no oil, fuel, or other liquids) or wet weight.

The answer is yes biggrin.gif .

In some classes it is with driver, the others are without. I know that XP is without driver but some other classes like FM are with the driver, you have to look at the individual class.

The minimum weight is for a ready to run car. If you go to a national tour event or nationals all cars in classes with minimum weights are weighed after running. You want to make sure that you will be heavy enough AFTER you run.

Hope this helps,
brant
I agree with David.

Minimum weight can be with or without driver (depending upon class) and will be taken on the far side of the finish line... ie: with the oil, gas, and anything else the car was carrying as it finishes.

jhadler
Yup, depends on the class. Some are with driver, some are without... RTR to make sure...

Weight is always measured after the checker flag.

Funny tale... At a Club Ford race, the winning driver got to the scales, ready to be weighed. They rolled the car up on the scales, the driver got in, and the official at the scales commented to the driver "Man, that was a long race. You must be REALLY thirsty.... wink.gif wink.gif". The driver looked at him, and didn't get it at first. Again, the official said "I REALLY think that you're thirsty, REALLY thirsty...". The driver got the not-so-subtle hint, grabbed a gallon jug of water and chugged it on the spot. The official re-checked the scales, smiled, and sent him on his way. He _was_ 4 lbs light, and would have been penalized. Chug the water, and he's a couple pounds over...

-Josh2
Dave-O
I've got a similar story. A friend of mine drives an FM Formula 500. Last year at nationals when it was raining and miserable, before he ran he just happened to grab his friends rain-slick which he wore in the car. When he went up on the scales after running he made the minimum weight by less than a pound! Later he returned the rainslick and found a radio in the pocket! Lucky son of a gun!
Joe Ricard
Funny I calculate 2.0L XP 914 at 1640 pounds. the 2098cc I am running next year is minimum 1700 pounds. next year the rules will be calculated by cc's. I think it is in April Fast track for proposed 2007 year rules.
Rough_Rider
Funny I calculate 2.0L XP 914 at 1640 pounds.

Yeah Joe i concur (for a 2.0L 1200 +400 +40 = 1640lb) I was experimenting with a 2.7L calculation as thats what most my competition is running.

However after re-reading rules i can enter SM2 no problem, so its 2100lb limit means i can add ballast.

Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.