Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
donporfi
Hello, I am new to the forum, I was referred to this forum from the 914 Pelican forum.
I am planning on converting a 914-4 to a 914-6 3.0 or 3.2. My intention is to have a street/DE/part track car. One of my concerns is brakes, can you give me some advice regarding the 914 brakes upgrades?
I have heard you can fit BMW calipers to the stock 914 struts, my questions regarding this setup is if you can use ventilated rotors or you need to use stock rotors? Also do you have the BMW or the ATE part number for these?
What would be your recomendation for the rear?
I tried a search but could not get to any posts.

bahnzai
If you go back to the Pelican Parts catalog website, on the side bar look under 914 at the Tech Articles. There is a very good, very detailed write-up on the BMW brake conversion that will answer 95% of your questions. I just completed this conversion. It is pretty straight forward and does offer a significant improvement. If you go to a 3.0 or 3.2, you may need to go to bigger brakes. I'll let anyone that has made that step address it. My change was on a 74 914-4 2.0.
So.Cal.914
If you are going 3.0 or 3.2 you might want to pay for the up grade just once.

The majority of the conversions here go 5 lug, the 911 up to 89 front suspension

will bolt right into a 914 no mods. The later one's have the 3.5" spaceing

on the caliper mounts. Eric Shea makes a great set up for converting the

rear and at a very reasonable price.(Non-Member here) To give you an idea

one of the guys (Chris Julian) put Big Reds on his 914, do a search in his name

and read about it. The early 911 master cylinder will also bolt right in. Look here

for parts (classifieds) and services (forums-914 resources, parts and products) . Have fun.

Oh and Welcome.
donporfi
Thanks for your answers.
I agree with Paul. If I am going to do a mod and use a large engine, I should start with large brakes.
Thanks again
brant
there are definitely 2 strong opinions about what is actually and upgrade and what is not.

1 side of the fence believes that usuing a non-vented front rotor with a different caliper is not really an upgrade.

my own personal opinion would be to put the vented front rotor on your car with an M caliper
(you can go larger but I question how absolutely necessary it is.. A or S is plenty)

there are ways to do this upgrade and keep it as a 4 lug wheel
or go straight to the 5 lug style wheel if you want.

the wheel choice becomes a matter of taste and desired width.

brant
Eric_Shea
Ask yourself some questions:

Flares?

Yes, you could probably upgrade to A or S-calipers.

No Flares?

Keep it stock or go with exactly what Brant is recommending meaning a late model 911T strut that will offer the following benni's:

Vented Rotors
M-Caliper
Any Strut Insert you Desire.

I'm unpopular because I don't subscribe to the "add huge amounts of red or yellow calipers that will lock up your tires just as well as the stock or the A or S-Caliper" camp.

Read the brake FAQ posted here in the Classic's section. It has, by far, some of the best information on brakes and what a real "upgrade" actually is.

Need more? Go to any HRS track event. You will see some of the fastest 914's on the planet driven in a competitive situation kicking some serious 911 butt. Look at their brakes and report back. If you think you need more than Frank Beck does... report back wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.