Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Circuit Boards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PORobinSCHE
i recently aquired a spare board. i'd like to remove the backing material to inspect the insides. what do you recommend for removing the material? then what should i use to recove it?

thank you in advance

Robin type.gif
bd1308
hair dryer
Marlow
If you're going through the trouble of removing all the potting material you might as well solder all the joints too. I used black Plasti-Dip to reseal mine, you could use liquid electrical tape too.
PORobinSCHE
QUOTE(porsche914blue @ Oct 12 2006, 08:07 PM) *

If you're going through the trouble of removing all the potting material you might as well solder all the joints too. I used black Plasti-Dip to reseal mine, you could use liquid electrical tape too.

that was one of my intentions when inspecting. i am guessing it will need some attention. beer3.gif
bd1308
sorry, let me be more complete:

Hairdrier + putty knife....

then carb cleaner to get everything clean with a stiff toothbrush
Air_Cooled_Nut
In the Classics forum:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4940

Pictures are near the bottom of the thread.
bperry
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 12 2006, 09:53 PM) *

sorry, let me be more complete:

Hairdrier + putty knife....

then carb cleaner to get everything clean with a stiff toothbrush

I actually went another route. I did mine using dental picks, and
a thin blade screw driver. However, instead of heat, I did mine
while the board was cold and the backing easily flaked off.
There was no need for carb cleaner.
Discovered it by accident as I started working on it during
winter in a non heated garage.

--- bill
PORobinSCHE
i got a chance at work to strip mine. it flaked off fairly easily. i would use a little heat the using a pick,would pop pieces out.
next a thorough cleaning. i plan on using a bit of liquid flux the help the solder to flow.
once all continuity is double checked, i plan on clear silicon for a cover. will try and post a few progress pictures later.

Roobin beer3.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I think a putty knife on the back of the relay board would tear up more stuff than you can fix!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.