Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any tech articles on Turbo Tie Rod Install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RS22b
tried the search method here, its garbage.

looked through the tech articles over on the bird, nothing there.

Im just looking for a guide line really. Im sure its pretty easy, but then again nothing is easy on a 914 laugh.gif I want to get this install done tomorrow night so i can drive my car all weekend for the first time in 8 years.

Please, i beg, someone help me out. IM getting desperate... I NEED TO DRIVE MY CAR@!!!! #$#($*##*H@!!

_billy
GWN7
While it's not a tec article this one explains how & why

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=56323&hl=

beerchug.gif
URY914
Garbage? You going to upset the German with that kind of talk. Be careful, the walls have ears.
RS22b
thanks for the info.

search = GARBAGE, haha
Allan
It's not really that hard but you will need the spanner to remove the olf ones and an alignment after.

It took me a week to get an alignment shop that knows teeners to do mine.
McMark
Search for

CODE

+"turbo tie rod" +install

Oh, and RTFM. rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
you will need the magic tool....

i happen to have it and can loan/rent it to you....

i think headrage still has it...
topatrout914
I have had a couple of 914s in the past but never did a conversion. Just bought a 72 a couple of weeks ago and needs tie rods. How important are the spanner wrenches for the install??? Also new to the site, an awesome resource!!!
McMark
I've done them once without special wrenches. But I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. blink.gif I've heard you can just purchase the appropriately sized open end wrench and grind it until it's narrow enough to use. But I've never been there or done that.
Aaron Cox
you are welcome to use mine (as is anyone here) - paypal me 50 bucks... you get to use it, ship it back, and you get 40 bucks back (shipping to you and convenience).

anyone here is welcome to it. costs ya 10 bucks and ya gotta ship it to whoever is next in line or back to me...

i also have the balljoint tool
BMartin914
Really easy. Don't even really need any reference. Pickle fork breaks it loose at the wheel end and your tool of choice at the rack. 2 hour job tops. Don't forget the big washers and an alignment.

The search function works great when you know how to use it. Better than any other forum I've ever visited. rolleyes.gif
Gint
QUOTE(RS22b @ Oct 13 2006, 07:40 AM) *

thanks for the info.

search = GARBAGE, haha

Garbage in = garbage out.

It works great when used properly.
jsteele22

I went to the crappiest trool sore in town (American Tool Exchange, makes Harbor Freight seem chic) and bought a wrench that was about the right size. It's big engough that a fraction of a mm won't matter. Cost maybe $3 or so, don't recall exactly. Layed it on the grinder for a few minutes and walla, a custom tubo tie rod tool you can use and then rent out to club members for $9.98. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.