Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: valve cover vents
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I read an article about a car smoking and they said does it have valve cover vents?? My cover look like the ones in the haynes manual and there are no vents. Can I see a pic of the vents and what would be the benefit.
914Sixer
The vents are in the cylinder head. One on each side on the top. They come together in a three way collecter by oil filler neck.
ruddyboys
My engine is an older '70 1.7 and there are no holes in the heads
SGB
yeah, I don't think a 70 would have the vents...
ruddyboys
could not having the vents cause pressure build up and make the push rod tubes leak?
URY914
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Oct 13 2006, 05:27 AM) *

could not having the vents cause pressure build up and make the push rod tubes leak?

Possible.
SGB
I agrree. As rings go, the crankcase starts becomming pressurized, which would seek relief at PR tube seals, valve covers, and temp sensor, at least.
d7n7master
Mine weren't vented either. Both heads had blank boss's.
Took a trip to the local flaps for a d/bit. tap & vent tubes.

Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Oct 13 2006, 06:27 AM) *

According to my FI book (Henry Elfrink tech manual), those "vents" are used as part of the crankcase ventilation system. Air travels FROM the air cleaner INTO the engine case. Excess pressure is vented FROM the oil breather TO the intake air distributor. Same concept is used on the air-cooled VW engines.

I recommend checking the breather and path to the air distributor (plenum). Maybe something's plugged or restricted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.