Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Handy Stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Last trip to Moab almost melted the kids crayons in the back of Suzi. Seems like big nasty muffler generates quite a bit of heat back there. This looks pretty good. Thoughts?

Whitney!

TINCAN914
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 13 2006, 08:57 AM) *

Last trip to Moab almost melted the kids crayons in the back of Suzi. Seems like big nasty muffler generates quite a bit of heat back there. This looks pretty good. Thoughts?

Whitney!

NASA uses it, so it must be good... biggrin.gif
Something I might consider for the firewall..
Brian Mifsud
Howard,

"Cheapest" would be to just get a piece of household fiberglass insulation from the Big Boxes. Its very light. Have wifey sow a big fabric "pillowcase" in something that matches your interior and you'd have a nice big soft cushy and cool rear trunk for a few bucks....

If you are trying to deaden sound, then this adhesive backed stuck-on foam with lead liner is the way to go.. but you pay weight penalty:

Engine Room Insulation

Keeps my diesels' noise in the engine room...
BMartin914
Just bite the bullet and go for the 24K gold foil. You know you want it...
Howard
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Oct 13 2006, 09:31 AM) *

Howard,

"Cheapest" would be to just get a piece of household fiberglass insulation from the Big Boxes. Its very light. Have wifey sow a big fabric "pillowcase" in something that matches your interior and you'd have a nice big soft cushy and cool rear trunk for a few bucks....

If you are trying to deaden sound, then this adhesive backed stuck-on foam with lead liner is the way to go.. but you pay weight penalty:

Engine Room Insulation

Keeps my diesels' noise in the engine room...

I'll consider that on my next full keel 914. Trying to keep this one on the step smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Do you have a muffler shield?

Where would you put it? Underneath correct?
Howard
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 13 2006, 01:57 PM) *

What's a muffler shield? Was just going to line the trunk, but will take a look underneath. Sounds like a good idea if it doesn't trap water.
GWN7
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 13 2006, 08:55 PM) *

What's a muffler shield?

Curved piece of metal that goes above the muffler.....
Howard
Missing that.
pfierb
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Oct 14 2006, 04:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 13 2006, 08:55 PM) *

What's a muffler shield?

Curved piece of metal that goes above the muffler.....

Not all car manufacturers used them.
ejm
914's 101 wink.gif

front trunk=cold
back trunk=hot
JPB
They sell the same stuff for boat cowels in marine stores but it is a little heavy.

beer.gif I don't see how driving with your roof off makes for a hot interior though? If the paint dosen't peal, it ain't that hot!
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 14 2006, 01:42 AM) *

Missing that.

Howard,

You can easily slap together a heat shield. Go to Big Box or Orchard Supply, and buy a piece of aluminum sheet metal. Clamp it between 2 2"x4"s, bend it to suit, and pop a couple of screw mounting holes in it...

Howard
Sounds like a good project. This was first long trip with the Triad, and it got a bit toasty back there. Was a shield stock on 914's?
BMartin914
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 14 2006, 09:26 AM) *
Was a shield stock on 914's?

All I've worked on have had it.
Carlitos Way
Mine's also not shielded. But there was previous rust repair from in the rear trunk in my car...
Aaron Cox
early cars had a bolt in shield as i recall....

late cars were all welded on
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.