Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: motor cross bar mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
mtrotter
What are the best Motor cross bar mounts to use?

Im building a TT/VARA Track car. Im fairly new to 914s but not new to cars. All i can find are 911 mounts (still rubber.). I have solid motor mounts and solid tranny mounts, solid cross bar mounts? where are they?

Thanks,

Morgan Trotter
brant
the early tail shift cars used rubber in the the cross bar mounts.
the later side shift cars bolt the bar straight to metal with no mount inbetween.

if you upgraded your car to the side shifter you would leave all of the motor bar mounts out and it would be a metal to metal contact.

brant
Brad Roberts
Hey Morgan!

I have some solid engine mounts for the 73-76 engine mounts. You can buy new the plates that bolt across the circular opening for the cross bar mount. They are fairly cheap.

The engine mounts I have are delrin replacements for the original rubber ones for the crossbar to engine mount.

B
mtrotter
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 13 2006, 12:46 PM) *

Hey Morgan!

I have some solid engine mounts for the 73-76 engine mounts. You can buy new the plates that bolt across the circular opening for the cross bar mount. They are fairly cheap.

The engine mounts I have are delrin replacements for the original rubber ones for the crossbar to engine mount.

B

Thanks,

I got confused for a second there. I have the 71 parts car, and the 73 is what Im building.... noticed one has rubber mounts and the 73 didnt. It looks kinda funny with out any rubber in there, but it seems to be strong. I got the shock towers all welded up and im going to do the suspension this week. Front / Rear sway, bilsteins, 220 rear springs, 24mm torsions. Hopefully it dosent rain much. Doing work in my driveway, 924s is up on jackstands for a week or so waiting on parts.
I was having trouble welding the rear seams. so I think we will wait and pay someonen to do it for us. I dont want to goof it up too much.
Brad Roberts
It is difficult to weld the rear along the spot weld line!

You will want to use the later 73-76 steel plate that bolts across the circular hole. I say "buy new ones" because typically the cross bar has been drug on something and has bent the steel plate where the cross bar bolts too it. New ones gurantee that at least the crossbar will hang correctly in the car and not be bent in *some* direction.

B
Mike T
How much power and torque will the 914/4 motor mount bar frame mounts handle? Anybody ever tear one off with a high horsepower engine?

Mike T
URY914
Brant,
the later cars still used the rubber mounts between the engine and the bar.
brant
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 6 2006, 09:19 PM) *

Brant,
the later cars still used the rubber mounts between the engine and the bar.

agreed, but I interpreted his question to mean between the chassis and the bar.

brant
URY914
10-4 biggrin.gif
Brett W
ON the later engine bars, you can take a hole saw and cut a couple of round spacers from a Hockey puck. Drill a hole in the middle and get a bolt long enough to go through the mount, bracket, and cross bar. Wrap the spacer with a hose clamp to keep it from splitting and that is one of the best solutions you can have. Solid yet damped, to keep the vibrations from looseing the bolts on the engine.
Brad Roberts
Damn.. you are a REDNECK!! (hockey pucks?? come on!!) alfred.gif

He would have an easier time finding plastic than a hockey puck here in SoCal..LOL

B
Brett W
At the time when I did it I didn't have a full machine shop with delrin, teflon, and polyurethane at my fingertips. Now the situation has changed but for the average joe with no major fabrication capabilities this is a simple and cheap way to get the same effect. I bet you spend less than 10$ on this part.

GO to the used sporting goods stores, you can find them for a couple of dollars each.

Sometimes you use what will get the job done.
Brad Roberts
I agree. Normally I leave that kind of thought process for "extreme" situations (track event weekend out in the middle knowhere and something broke..lol)

I happen to know what he is building and why.

B
JWest
You can buy the inner mounts for the '73 and later from me (see link at the bottom of this post).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.