Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: How to unlock '72 911 steering column w/o the key?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
Just picked up a 'backyard find', a '72 911 T Targa. Door was already open, but no keys and the steering column is locked. Any ideas on how to unlock it without busting things up too badly? How similar is the earlier 911 steering lock to the one on a 914-6?
JPB
I've heard of just taking the wheel and yank, snap, free.

beer.gif Donor car?

sixnotfour
How similar is the earlier 911 steering lock to the one on a 914-6?

The same. unscrew the bezel off the ignition, you'll find the two bolts that need to be drilled out. or some times unscrewed.
914rrr
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 13 2006, 05:51 PM) *

I've heard of just taking the wheel and yank, snap, free.

beer.gif Donor car?

Actually I'm pondering a full resto on it, as the wife and I had '72 T Targa when we first got married. grouphug.gif
914rrr
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 13 2006, 05:58 PM) *

How similar is the earlier 911 steering lock to the one on a 914-6?

The same. unscrew the bezel off the ignition, you'll find the two bolts that need to be drilled out. or some times unscrewed.

I saw what looks like a thin metal backing behind the dash vinyl. Does this have to come off as well?
watsonrx13
Hey Rob, how's things going?????

BTW, thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

-- Rob
markb
Ummm, AAA? Make a key & be done with it.
Heeltoe914
Remove cover in front you will see two flat points that look like round???.
Take a Dremel tool (with ball tip) and make a slot for a flat head screwdriver to go into and unscrew. About a 25 min job no damage to car.

Just had to do it on my 6 when the tip behind the electric harness broke
mihai914
If the door is unlocked, why wouldn't you remove the door handle and go to a good locksmith that could make you a new key. If it's a time sensitive situation, it's another story then.
914rrr
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Oct 13 2006, 06:34 PM) *

Hey Rob, how's things going?????

BTW, thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

-- Rob

Hi Rob, things WERE going great until new owner bought the company I work for. (See 'Non-Disclosure Agreement' thread). BTW, the wife and I are coming down next week for the Mirror Lake Car Show for my B-Day.

Getting this puppy home was one of those 'funny now, not so funny then' stories. 2 flat tires, 4 locked brakes, locked steering column, parked next to a tree, etc. It actually isn't as bad as it looks.

Click to view attachment

914rrr
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Oct 13 2006, 07:47 PM) *

If the door is unlocked, why wouldn't you remove the door handle and go to a good locksmith that could make you a new key. If it's a time sensitive situation, it's another story then.

I'll probably go this route, as the door panel is already off.

Back in the late 70's I once locked the keys in my teener. AAA sent a locksmith that actually put a blank key in the lock and somehow could tell where to file the key BY HAND to get the key to work!!!! I'd love to find a locksmith like that!

AAA around here balked at sending a tow out for a non-op car. May get the same response for a locksmith.

Thanks to all for the responses! aktion035.gif
JPB
Cool find!! But just to be a biotch, if it ain't a donor, why get it?

sawzall-smiley.gif Universal key
smash.gif Universal compactor
welder.gif Universal modification tool
ar15.gif Universal Anger management tool
headbang.gif Universal head adjustment tool
stones.gif sheeplove.gif Universal one size fits all tools
beer.gif Universal lubricator
pain30.gif Universal idea collector tank

drooley.gif 911? Universal donor for 914s. I say man, rape, pillage and sell the tub!
suttree
are you going to get the body work done for this project somewhere in the knoxville area? i am at the beginning of a 914 restoration project and have been trying to find a good place.
sixnotfour
WoW a 72, 1 year only oil tank location , I have one too.
see a picture is worth a thousand words

Nobody wanted mine stripped in a garage for 10years, I went and looked , 0 rust ,bare metal took it straight to body shop ,silver paint and sitting in my garage now.
914rrr
QUOTE(suttree @ Oct 14 2006, 07:56 AM) *

are you going to get the body work done for this project somewhere in the knoxville area? i am at the beginning of a 914 restoration project and have been trying to find a good place.

Me too! I just moved here in Jan 06.

I don't know what they charge, but Air Cooled Classics does resto work, paint, etc. They LOVE 914's, which is a big plus. I've seen some of their work and it looks pretty good.

Most of my neighbors are 'car guys'. I'll ask them for leads they may know of.

Back to the original post question. I found the solution....the keys!!!! rocking nana.gif
PO found 'em while looking for other stuff. WHEW!!
suttree
QUOTE(914rrr @ Oct 15 2006, 01:18 AM) *

QUOTE(suttree @ Oct 14 2006, 07:56 AM) *

Me too! I just moved here in Jan 06.

I don't know what they charge, but Air Cooled Classics does resto work, paint, etc. They LOVE 914's, which is a big plus. I've seen some of their work and it looks pretty good.

Most of my neighbors are 'car guys'. I'll ask them for leads they may know of.

Back to the original post question. I found the solution....the keys!!!! rocking nana.gif
PO found 'em while looking for other stuff. WHEW!!

congrats on the keys

I have been around this area for a long time, I met Don of ACC 15 years ago when he was just a crazy man with a driveway full of Porsches. We had swapped parts with him back then, at the time he seemed to be more into the engine type of work and building a lightweight 6 for racing. Since then I have seen his mark on quite a few 914's around town. I am confident those guys know eactly what they are doing, I just haven't been able to come to terms with paying their prices (I don't know what they charge either, I can only assume it is a premium, from their web site "We are not the low price leader, rather we are best at attention to details and therefore provide classic restoration services,
be it repair or frame-off restoration.", it's tough to argue with that philosophy, but a noble cause only goes so far for a guy with a finite budget). In the end I know I want a good job but I would like to convince myself that there is no one else around that is capable of doing the right job. Thanks for putting their name out there, I had actually forgotten that they did restoration work. Do ask your neighbors and let me know what you find, of course keep in mind that 'car guys' in east tennessee can mean a variety of things....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.