Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pass visor vanity mirror delete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
rhodyguy
was there a year that the mirror was deleted or added? this one is on a 74'.

k
sixerdon
My understanding is they were added sometime in '71. My sixes don't have them. Maybe a PO changed swapped it on your car? Otherwise your car should have the mirror.

Don
Pat Garvey
Agree w/Don - your '74 should have it. But, have to say that it looks better w/o it!

I keep wondering when the one on my '72 is going to flip down for the last time & flip off!

Besides, Porsche women don't even attempt to adjust makeup in a 914 - they'd all look like Lucille Ball!
Pat
rhodyguy
this is my first time seeing one without the mirror. how would an issue like this play in a concours pat? ok either way? -1 for a very early car with the mirror?

k
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 14 2006, 11:22 PM) *

this is my first time seeing one without the mirror. how would an issue like this play in a concours pat? ok either way? -1 for a very early car with the mirror?

k

Ok, here's the key ingredient! A judge has a VERY limited time to go over these cars. Depending on the event, it could be as little as 3minutes, or usually as much as ten. Regardless, it isn't enough time to find the obscure issues. I've judged at least 40 of these things, from club, to multi-marque, to Parade - and ther'e NEVER enough time!

All judges are different - some are looking for dirt (anywhere), some are looking for non-origonality (hang the dirt!), some are multi-functional (that would be me).

None of us judge the same! Though we care about the rules, we are all individuals, with an individual purpose. In the back of our minds, we have a personal agenda, whatever it may be. Don't let anyone fool you if they say "we look at all the same" Crap.

"None of us judge the same" Hardly sounds like you're car is being judged properly, does its? Not true. In every event I've been associated with, the judges utilized uniformed crteria. No special treatments were recognized if they weren't original

But, judges are human, and have they're "agendas". You may be penalized for something you disagree with, but are happy that a judge didn't find that incorrect cheesehead screw. It usually works out OK.

If "I" were judging 914 interiors & knowing what I do - I'd still be looking off at th lower surfaces & under the dash - that's where the most obvious faults are. So, they "vanity" mirror would probably not even catch my attention (this is me, remember?).

I'm usually like the guy who gets picked to be catcher on a baseball team - I go underneath, where I look, probe & question. Know more about what's under there, or isn't, or doesn't have proper finish. Kind of like it under there, because few others want to be there & most don't know what they're looking at.

All in all, I'll suck in my breath, spend 8-10 minutes under the belly with clean towels - and usually come out grubby! Have a tendancy for dirty places!
PG
davep
I have judged at quite a few regional concours, and what I tell the owners is to look at the points relative to one another, not at the absolute point total. Depending on the general level of the cars presented I try to be kind. That is, I don't want all the cars to get less than 100 points out of a possible 200 even if they might garner only 50 points at a PCA Parade. I want to see the car again at the next event with a few of the deficiencies corrected. I look at the points as indications to where effort needs to be spent. If I got too critical, then no cars would be entered or I would not be asked again. Most recent events turn into an informative session where I judge and talk a group of owners through the process and the finer points. They get to learn something, they are involved, and they are happy. They also tend to get more competitive and the cars really benefit from that.

Originality and condition are both important, and a balance has to be found between them if one has to choose.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 19 2006, 12:33 PM) *

I have judged at quite a few regional concours, and what I tell the owners is to look at the points relative to one another, not at the absolute point total. Depending on the general level of the cars presented I try to be kind. That is, I don't want all the cars to get less than 100 points out of a possible 200 even if they might garner only 50 points at a PCA Parade. I want to see the car again at the next event with a few of the deficiencies corrected. I look at the points as indications to where effort needs to be spent. If I got too critical, then no cars would be entered or I would not be asked again. Most recent events turn into an informative session where I judge and talk a group of owners through the process and the finer points. They get to learn something, they are involved, and they are happy. They also tend to get more competitive and the cars really benefit from that.

Originality and condition are both important, and a balance has to be found between them if one has to choose.

Could not agree with you more!

Pardon if I offend anyone, but the regional/multi-marque level is the place to learn (particularly PCA regional). I am aslo going to get into one of my diatribes here!Your car is treated more kindly and you are given direction for improving flaws, whatever they may be. Sort of like the minor leagues in baseball. You learn & improve, or you're out of the "bigs".

However, when you GET to the "bigs", there are no excuses. You had better prep for winning. And, that (if possible) means knowing your competition. I take this seriously, because it's always been what my 914 was about for me. Your 914 had better be the best, or I'll beat you. No slam intended to anyone - my point of view. Winning is paramount - second is losing ( & I've been there).

Feedback from the judges in VERY important. And, there are judges who are not as cognizant as you (limited quantities). Never, ever leave your car when it's being judged (minors or bigs). And...make the judge explain deductions if you're in disagreement. You must place yourself as the ultimate judge & know EVERYTHING about your 914, and be able to document/explain why the judge may be wrong in a deduct he/she has given you (unless you know it's right).

Know your 914! Prep it to win! If the passenger mirror is not present on your 914, be prep'd to explain why. A 74 should have the mirror! Though I like the look of it w/o, I'd gig you for it (IF I FOUND IT). That's another key here. As I said earlier, the judges have limited judging time & they're looking for wear & obvious faults.

Here's the typical interior judging scheme (time limited). Stand outside & give about 15 seconds of view to the interior. Looks really nice? Crawl in, look under the carpeting - clean? GO under the dash (this is usually a killer). Clean - serious concours car! Then you start really looking fir dirt/flaws. Under the seat - no dirt? Go in back - no dirt? A really serious concours car!

At this pint, I'm close to being out of judging time. May flip the visors to see if they;re clean, but doubt I'll notice the lack of passenger mirror - because I'm scrambling to find flaws in the obvious places!

That being said, I doubt that I would find the incorrect visor. The LAST place I would look for flaw on a pristine car! I'm human - you win!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.