Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:FTP setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
I need to set up an ftp site for mass data storage and transfer. Anyone know a simple way for me to set it up and run it? I take it that I need to a host service and software to get started. I'm on Earthlink at home, don't think they do that.

Tips & tricks appreciated.

S
swood
I came across this site. Anyone have any feedback? Might be an affordable option for a newb/small time user.

Host my site
KaptKaos
You should talk with someone that does IT work for a living. :-D
swood
Dood...I did ask... pray tell me more...

Did you try setting up your rear trunk mounts yet?
KaptKaos
I got to class late Thursday night, some dude had a nice 68 Mustang he had just gotten and we were all going over it. So hinges go in on Tuesday.

As for FTP; how big are the files? For what purpose? Business or personal? Is performance (i.e. speed) an issue? If you outsource the FTP site, then the transfer has 2 steps; sender to site and then site to you. If you put it on your IP connection, then the sender has to deal with the performance issues, you get to transfer the file locally. Remember, that the sender's performance is also yours, because you need the files and if they need to retry, or resend, then it still impacts you.

Let me know.

- Joe
swood
I'd be transfering files in the 10-20mb or so range. Nothing really heavy duty or even that often, maybe a couple times each day. I just want to stop having to do it via email. I need to store about a gig somewhere so that myself and the user on the other end can access it daily. I need something really simple because I'm just a simple guy. What do you think?
KaptKaos
Home or office?
swood
home, homey.
cooltimes
1st off I don't know much about FTP. Just enough to download some games.
But if you are using XP, can't you set up your system and just give another user permission to share files on your computer and they do the same with you? Sort of like hackers can get on another's system and read, write or do whatever they want to do on the hacked computer.

MikeCool
KaptKaos
Check this out: http://www.download.com/Titan-FTP-Server/3...4-10568672.html

It should be easy enough to install. I would recommend a dedicated PC with nothing of real value on it to act as your FTP server.

Take a look and let me know if you need more help.
turboman808
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...guring-FTP.html

I found using the windows xp setup is the simplest. Everythings already there to set it up just a matter of checking off the right boxes.

Don't forget to set your router for forwarding.

If you still have problems some service providers block the normal port ftp is set for.
stepuptotheMike
I would seriously not recommend using windows sharing from your XP machine across the internet. While it can be done it will open up various security issues and probably perform like doo doo.

I would recommend checking out www.netfirms.com. I have used them for several years now and they have always been great. They also keep increasing the file space and transfer limits every year or so. You might be able to find cheaper, but these guys have been very reliable.

Also I would recommend investing in CuteFTP. It will make life completely easy for very minimum $. Check it out at www.cuteftp.com

-Mike

bd1308
I have a linux server with extreme bandwidth and 40GB of transfer per month. I have like 2GB of space free.

if you need some FTP space, i'll hook you up
Gint
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Oct 15 2006, 04:47 AM) *

I would seriously not recommend using windows sharing from your XP machine across the internet. While it can be done it will open up various security issues and probably perform like doo doo.

I would recommend checking out www.netfirms.com. I have used them for several years now and they have always been great. They also keep increasing the file space and transfer limits every year or so. You might be able to find cheaper, but these guys have been very reliable.

Also I would recommend investing in CuteFTP. It will make life completely easy for very minimum $. Check it out at www.cuteftp.com

-Mike

agree.gif

I wouldn't open up ftp on my home network... period. I could probably secure it, but why leave yourself at risk? It's not worth the potential, possibly major, hassle. Find yourself a web service provider with the space you need and store your junk there. There have been a couple mentioned here and there are a ton more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.