Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo talk is for dreamers!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JPB
Update: I posted the answer to my setup since you all should know beer.gif

<!-- coloro:#FF0000 --><!-- /coloro -->Okay change in plans here folks, this has turned into who's go the real deal and this is where the facts meet the pavement!!!! Real turbos, real T4s and real success. All the B.S. has been kicked in the nuts!!

What say you?<!-- colorc -->
<!-- /colorc -->
Bleyseng
sure its been done....works until you stay on too long, CHT's melt the aluminum heads pretty quickly.
JPB
blink.gif Okay, so ahhh, ahhhh........ahhhhhh, still doable right?LOL

beer.gif Is there any symple happines in just 80HPs?
Bleyseng
cheapest method to go down drag strip faster is to have a big 4 wheel drive Syclone turbo truck push you.

next is to do a head and cam change on your 1.7.
Chris Pincetich
JPB - venture into the Paddock and read through to at least page 5 of the "Beat Tom" thread and you will find some gud info. I have yet to actually see the legendary East Bay "smurfmobile" but hope to at GGR AX #9. Those guys keep their race secrets secret, but you can tell from the discussion that the TIV NO2 works well and is cheap HP (but needs re-filling dry.gif ). Sanctioned racing has banned it, so only for street cred. beerchug.gif
BMXerror
Okay. I challenge you to a ten mile race through the San Bernardino Mountains. The only catch is you have to have your extra HP turned on constantly. We'll see how that goes. biggrin.gif
Mark D.
Sammy
Nitrous works and will not melt your pistons or heads, unless you run it lean or use too much.
It's a temporary fix, much like a band aid.

Changing cams on a 1.7 will make your wallet lighter and maybe give you a little more power. I personally don't like spending $100 per hp increase.

I spent about $1500 on my turbo set-up. didn't do any testing, just a bit of tuning so your original post is not valid. Just because one guy blows up engines to learn doesn't mean everyone has to. Trying to find the limit is fine, but I was content to stay well away from the limit.
My engine was happy at 7 psi and wasn't as happy at 11 psi. I stayed at 7.
Here's my little secret, it aint rocket surgery. It's a lot easier than it sounds and it doesn't cost a fortune. Of course I don't make a living at it .......................................
Mueller
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 14 2006, 04:07 PM) *

Turbos and changing a complete T4 engine to make it do what it was not meant to do requires a hug amount of testing and capitol to blow down the toilet.

There is no real testing that needs to be done for a turbo, just pick up and read one of the half-dozen turbo books and do some reading and planning and keep your goals within reason. It's been done a bunch of times and the limits of a stock or near stock motor is pretty well established.

Has anyone ever entertained the symple idea of a wet nitrous oxyde system to produce some easy HPs? A little fuel and a squirt and a heat management system. It can be triggered from the throtle pedal to boost at certain fazes in each shift ect.....

NO2 is not allowed on the auto-x course or road race track, so playing with Hondas on the street is all you can do...and you'll get spanked by them more than likely since they probebly have a real motor built up, if someone was stupid enough to build a cheater system, once it's used they'll be caught.

What say you?

Since most Porsches do not play on the 1/4 mile track, it is not something often talked about cause it's more or less useless for most of us...even on the street I think it's a silly thing and I'd rather have the turbo that I can use any time I want and not have to worry about being WOT in order to use it...and yes, it's best to be WOT with NO2, not just barely on the gas where a turbo or supercharger will be producing boost...

I say go for it........we'll be here to help you rebuild your motor biggrin.gif

Andyrew
My dad considered nitrous on his turbo car, because it would cool the shot down like water injection... after a while he dicided to go with water injection.

I agree with mike, turbo's are so easy... I have a crazy idea of wanting to make a turbo kit.. but I keep thinking otherwise.
Bleyseng
Changing cams and heads will cost bout $300 for cam/lifter set plus $500 for the rebuilt 1.8l heads

for that kind of money you can assemble/built a turbo

MS is bout $300 for the basic kit to convert to a EFI

turbo's can be had pretty cheap

piping etc is cheap

so for bout $1000 you can have 150hp at 7lbs of boost

or $800 bout 95hp witha cam/head change. alfred.gif

Joe Bob
You can't turbo a 914....
JPB
smilie_pokal.gif Yes, you fellas are excellent!!! Turbo is like the holy grail of upgrades! Someone needs to put a kit together like yesterday. So many people want it.............

Bleyseng
Well, Blair, my son and I are talking about for his Black 1.7L:
Haltech or MS EFI
VW 1.8T used turbo rebuild by a friend of his
Bursch muffler exhaust tying into it and piping to bring the turbo up into the engine bay.so its easy to have a good oil line drain.

We or a Welder buddy will do all the piping/welding.

Using a O2 sensor

now we just need money for the project.... dry.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Dang Geoff, I wish you lived closer to Portland! I'd help with the welding smile.gif
JPB
Go go Geoff! Make that four bager burn some petrol. Don't forget to share.

beer.gif Add an intercooler if you can since there will be alot of room for it. Hey, how about a snorkel for it? Woulden't that be the ticket.
Mueller
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 15 2006, 10:01 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Yes, you fellas are excellent!!! Turbo is like the holy grail of upgrades! Someone needs to put a kit together like yesterday. So many people want it..............

yet they don't want to pay for it...they bitch about what a quality complete kit would cost and so then they say they'll put it together themself or go with a /6

Bleyseng
Yeah, we already have a custom made air to air intercooler left over from the RX7 1st Gen turbo project. Its huge (18"x 30" with 3" intake tubing) and will have a electric fan to suck air thru it.

Andyrew
I could build a "hard" kit. with various levels of completeness. But I dont have a car to build one from.. (v8's are slightly different than T4's)

and I doubt I have the time..

JPB
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 15 2006, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 15 2006, 10:01 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Yes, you fellas are excellent!!! Turbo is like the holy grail of upgrades! Someone needs to put a kit together like yesterday. So many people want it..............

yet they don't want to pay for it...they bitch about what a quality complete kit would cost and so then they say they'll put it together themself or go with a /6

What? You mean we can't get this stuff for free?LOL
We all want to keepem stock and miraculously have them fly down the road effortlessly with free HPs at 75mpg. blink.gif

Andyrew
Hey, its better than THINKING our cars are faster... WAY to many american iron guys think that their stock 2 ton boats and such are faster than anything on the road (conversation yesterday, "ya my 442 stock did 10 second 1/4's!" me "no it didnt" him "ok maybe low 11's" me "no it didnt" him "ok it definately did high 11's low 12's" me "maybe on drag radials."

PS, If I could guage intrest on a turbo kit.. I might be interested in making one.. couple local guys would be happy to let me use their cars, im sure.
914forme
Kits where made back in the 80s Bernie Burgman built one. It is not a hard thing todo. MegaSquirt on the cheap or SDS on the high side will do what you need.
Keep the turbo small, and you will build boast sooner.

If it is a 1.7L look at he TDI turbo, it is small and will produce boast up to 25 psi. Mine runs all day long, at 5-10 psi. You will need to turn down the boast because 25 psi will make you 1.7 look like a tin can in a BB shoo-in' contest.

Intercoolers raise the WOW factor but are not the best place to spend dollars, thou I just picked one up from a Volvo for an M3 supercharger conversion I working on. $40 bucks from the boneyard. Covers the entire front of the M3, it is huge, but will work. 914 requires ducts or fans to get air flow, you run the risk of heating engine cooling air, thou the 930 never seemed to have an issue with this. But I would argue that they cool better than a type-4 does.

In a 914 I would use a water injection system. Setup a corvair boast switch, they are cheap and a simple injector for the water using a windshield washer bottle. 7 psi you should not need it, but if you want to up the boast for the track or the race down a canyon then it comes in handy to cool the charge. It also raises the octane of the fuel charge alittle.

Oil cooler is a must.

Good luck!!!!

You know it can't be done, right!

914forme
Duh headbang.gif
Both the Megasquirt and hte SDS can trip cooling fans or the water injection. My bad.
nein14
Here we go again with maybe this will work or maybe that will work and nobody give Kudos to the guy that proved you can do it not once but twice.
Once with a 1.7 that he ran real hard with up to 14 lbs. of boost at the track that was featured in Excellence June 02'.

Then took it apart and rebuilt to 2.0 liters, by the way when he took it apart there was no sign of damage or wear to the P & C's.

With excellent engineering and fabrication built a very reliable 2.0 CIS fuel Injected Turbo 914 GT. aktion035.gif
Evill Ed
Biggest problem here guys, it that most (not all, I said most) of the posters in this thread have Never Built a Turbocharged Type 4. Just a lot of "opinion" based facts.

I got tired of this argument years ago. I built a solid reliable package, plain and simple. I did my homework and did it right. No trick parts or anything. I fabricated every part of that system and they still work as well today as the day that I built them. I know because I drove my old car today. wavey.gif Hey Johhny, good seeing you guys today. Thanks for letting me drive my old 914, still rocks like it did when I owned it. Imagine, I first turbo'd that car 5 or 6 years ago and it's "still" running rocking nana.gif

Ed " A guy who actually built a Type 4 Turbo" Villela

Aaron Cox
i have some neat idea's (like mueller's original idea) to do a rear turbo right after the collector on a eurorace...

suck "cooler air" from the trunk (above) and pump the charge thru the back piece of tin... into an intercooler (how to get air to it in the engine bay?? roof deflector?) and from the intercooler to CB manifolds with injector bungs....

just a single throttle body.... sorta like brittains 912 setup... but i think i would run another set of injectors higher up (off boost uses the lower ones aimed at the valves, on boost uses a blend or mostly the ones higher up for better atomization)

oiling to the turbo - TEE into the pressure sender on the case...
oiling back from the low mounted rear turbo - electric scavenge...

my motor is a little over 8:1 - but has the wrong cam for a turbo motor.... (highlift, long duration, and overlap)

so.. thnking a 1.7 short stroke (66mm) by 93/94/96mm bore....

would be fun.... i figure i could do it sub 2500 with MS or link management
Joe Bob
Hey Ed!!!!

I've done 4 Type 1's....does that count? 4x1=Type IV??????

New math?
JPB
Wow five years is awsome mister and how many miles on the build? How about a parts list of changes to you original engine or upgrades to put a nail in the ,"you can't turbo a 914," coffin.

beer.gif We have many words but the proof is in the parts.
Evill Ed
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 15 2006, 03:30 PM) *

Hey Ed!!!!

I've done 4 Type 1's....does that count? 4x1=Type IV??????

New math?

Yeah, you Qualify Mikey biggrin.gif

Ed
Evill Ed
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 15 2006, 03:31 PM) *

Wow five years is awsome mister and how many miles on the build? How about a parts list of changes to you original engine or upgrades to put a nail in the ,"you can't turbo a 914," coffin.

beer.gif We have many words but the proof is in the parts.

Do a search on this list, it's all in here.

Go to my site http://community.webshots.com/user/evill914 and look at the Excellence album. Maximize or download the pages so that you can read the article.

I'm not sure of the actual milage on engine. I put several thousand street and track miles on it, not sure how many John put on.

If you are serious about this, read good books liek Corky Bells Turbochargers book, learn about turbos, how they work and how to design a system. Worked for me.

Ed
Bleyseng
I am still a type 4 turbo virgin....just helped to build this one.
Joe Bob
Evil dude.....just so you know I'm NOT just BS'n.....my latest creation.

Here's BAD TUB's pic......

2180, stroker crank, custom tubed air to air intercooler, Megasquirt FI, Schaffer Turbo, 10psi.

Gonna hit the dyno soon and get some HP figures....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Evill Ed
I know what you're up to Mike, I keep tabs on you. Bad Tub seems like a hot little ride.

Evill Ed
nein14
Hey Ed great seeing you today, the car still ROCKS!!!!! Glad we got together, I know Dave, Harry and myself had a good time and some Great conversation.

Hope we can meet on a regular basis biggrin.gif
PORobinSCHE
so what about an actual parts list of manufactured pieces? and ,also, listing of items to be made. what i am seeing here is alot of interest in how and what do we use!
sure i'd love a turbo'd Subaru or a giant stroker IV. but reality and checkbook says built it on a budget. share the knowledge
Joe Bob
Research and build using CIS. MFI or Megasquirt.....the stuff is cheap. The head scratching and fabrication is where the $$$ is.

I have a T-4 Garrett turbo sitting and being used as a paperweight....you want it? $50 plus shipping.

It ran on BAD TUB when it was in a drag car....the fittings were wrong when the engine went in to a sedan.....
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 15 2006, 04:30 PM) *

i have some neat idea's (like mueller's original idea) to do a rear turbo right after the collector on a eurorace...

still working on it, just other projects need to be finished first smile.gif
hope the transmission mount does not melt blink.gif a heat sheild will be needed for sure....

would be fun.... i figure i could do it sub 2500 with MS or link management

Click to view attachment

Aaron Cox
mike - you are da man!

i like how you are going to clock the trubo 90 degrees like that...

electric scavenge?
whats your plans for fuel and spark management?
iamchappy
For those who might want to jump ahead to a turbo 6 mine should be back on the road in a few weeks! Now were talking real horsepower.... piratenanner.gif
Chris Pincetich
shocked[1].gif drooley.gif beerchug.gif
Scott-thundercat
can we continue this thread? i'd really like to see some exhaust pics of a turbo set up. i am wanting to build the impossible- just wondering if anyone has good ideas on exhaust routing and piping. thanks guys!
JPB
Those are all cool mods but my mod comes with that manual, Turbo Charging for Dummies. beer.gif
ottox914
Here is the link to my turbo project:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...83&hl=turbo

It has sort of run out of boost, as we have torn our bathroom appart, and Mrs Me will allow no other projects to get in the way of her new bathroom! This, plus the start of the autocross season up here have slowed progress to a snails pace.

I remain hopeful that in the next month or so I can get the balance of the fabrication done, and get it on the road and off to the dyno for a tune.

By the way, it uses a VNT turbo from a TDI, will have a low mount turbo location off the back of a kerry hunter exhaust, and an electric return pump for the oil. I'm "T'ing" the oil off the sender. Returning the oil to the breather in the oil fill thingy. I will eventually use the SDS to trigger fans on the intercooler. Pretty much what you guys have been laying out, I've had in process for a while. Just not yet on the road.
JPB
Here ya go fellas; instant turbo gratification without all the fancy dancy pipes except at the intakes av-943.gif

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?...;searchbtn.y=16
iamchappy
My cars actually came with one of those I just had it hooked up wrong, I thought it was suppose to be hooked up to the heater boxes, silly me....
degreeoff
check out this setup! go to photo gallery....YUM YUM!! I only wish I had the $$$$$

http://www.clewett.com/
iamchappy
Clewett's car I used as a base for me to figure out how to plumb mine.
iamchappy
vnn
Aaron Cox
chappy, what sort of HP will you be losing with the stock HE's?
iamchappy
Not enough to matter.....actually may make more. Supertech thought they would work great with my setup.

Since I dont know yet what this engine is putting out and have no comparison using my headers instead, the answer to your question Aaron could be long coming......

I really hope my car is back on the road this summer it's killing me not getting it done.
Doing the repaint Signal Orange instead of Black again has slowed things down, now I have to redo all of the trunks and engine bay...
iamchappy
headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.