Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My little progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
MoveQik
Now that the 3.2 is in and running perfectly, I can get started on some smaller(and less expensive!) projects that I have been wanting to do.

First thing was the stereo. The head unit is pretty slick. It has a plug in the back for my iPod. The iPod can be controlled with the head unit so now there is no need for wires and plugs everywhere and trying to keep my iPod from sliding all over the dash. After I got the head unit in, I drilled a small hole in the side of the glove box for the iPod cable. I just plug in the iPod, throw it in the glove box and go!
MoveQik
I also got my cool new safety wired axle bolts installed. I didn't do it myself, but here they are. You can also see my one-off clutch pulley courtesy of RRC.
GWN7
So what was making it miss? (for those of us wondering from Moab)
MoveQik
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Oct 14 2006, 04:56 PM) *

The shop I took it went through everything. After exhausting all options they finally hooked up a new computer that they keep at the shop for testing. They plugged it in and the engine ran perfectly. So, I have a new computer and and a really big smile biggrin.gif

While the car was in there the injection sysem was went through. Turns out 3 of the injectors were about 10 & 15% clogged. Those got cleaned out and the rest of the engine got a once over. Runs like a champ now! In hind sight, I probably should of had Joe go through the motor at his place before picking it up but I decided to take my chances. It turned out ok but life would have been easier if I would of just had Joe do it. Live & learn.
Howard
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Oct 14 2006, 04:54 PM) *

I also got my cool new safety wired axle bolts installed. I didn't do it myself, but here they are. You can also see my one-off clutch pulley courtesy of RRC.

Safety wire? Those bolts never come loose biggrin.gif
Stereo? Die Yuppy Scum! Listen to the 3.2!
GWN7
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Oct 14 2006, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Oct 14 2006, 04:56 PM) *

The shop I took it went through everything. After exhausting all options they finally hooked up a new computer that they keep at the shop for testing. They plugged it in and the engine ran perfectly. So, I have a new computer and and a really big smile biggrin.gif

While the car was in there the injection sysem was went through. Turns out 3 of the injectors were about 10 & 15% clogged. Those got cleaned out and the rest of the engine got a once over. Runs like a champ now! In hind sight, I probably should of had Joe go through the motor at his place before picking it up but I decided to take my chances. It turned out ok but life would have been easier if I would of just had Joe do it. Live & learn.

Cool beerchug.gif know we all know smile.gif
MoveQik
Started some work on the backpad. Factory unit out and the firewall Dynamat'd. I didn't do the bottom part as I am going to carpet that to match the floor. I didn't want to have the dynamat in there and uncovered getting screwed up. So I'll finish that when I get the carpet.
MoveQik
Here it is covered.
MoveQik
The seats in. Now that I have been looking at it for a while, I think I might recover it in the same material but black. We'll see.
turboman808
Don't need no stinking radio.

I am going to great lengths to get mine out. Replace the door panels and reface the dash.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Nov 1 2006, 07:11 PM) *

Started some work on the backpad. Factory unit out and the firewall Dynamat'd. I didn't do the bottom part as I am going to carpet that to match the floor. I didn't want to have the dynamat in there and uncovered getting screwed up. So I'll finish that when I get the carpet.

Cool Mike. I put Dynamat on the engine side and have some left over. I was thinking of putting in on the padside too. Let me know what difference it makes.

T
MoveQik
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Nov 1 2006, 08:19 PM) *

Don't need no stinking radio.

I am going to great lengths to get mine out. Replace the door panels and reface the dash.

The radio stays. I drive my car too much to not have tunes. I am switching over to the GT style doors that Eric Shea is putting together, however. biggrin.gif My car has been bone stock for too long. I'm ready for a change. biggrin.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Nov 1 2006, 08:33 PM) *

Cool Mike. I put Dynamat on the engine side and have some left over. I was thinking of putting in on the padside too. Let me know what difference it makes.

T

There is an improvement but in my case not a huge one. BUT, I switched from a big backpad to basically just thin material. My bet is that it would be a lot louder with just the material and no Dynamat. I bought enough to do the doors and the floors as well. Extra weight be damned!
TravisNeff
Nice Job MW
andys
MW914,

How did you stick the carpet to the firewall?

Andys
MoveQik
QUOTE(andys @ Nov 1 2006, 09:21 PM) *

MW914,

How did you stick the carpet to the firewall?

Andys

The Dynamat uses self adhesive on the firewall and then I used 3M Super 90 spray adhesive to apply the material to the Dynamat. The material is perlon type stuff.
WaideS
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 14 2006, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(MW 914 @ Oct 14 2006, 04:54 PM) *

Safety wire? Those bolts never come loose biggrin.gif
Stereo? Die Yuppy Scum! Listen to the 3.2!

Yuppy Scum??????
Howard, don't you have a 911 AUTOMATIC?????
Just checking...... ph34r.gif
I still have your Streistand CD you left in the LE you sold me
MoveQik
Started work on a new center cushion/third seat......the thing between the seats.

Mine was beat up and the vinyl on the top finally split. So....time for a new one. The one I am building will be deeper inside but the top won't have as much padding so the overall height will be the same.

First pic - most of the pieces cut.
MoveQik
Assembly starts
MoveQik
Stealth shelf, now you see it.....

I can already here the CA crew, "you can put your weeeeed in it!"
MoveQik
...now you don't ph34r.gif
MoveQik
Top is cut. I will cover the top of this with closed cell foam before the vinyl is wrapped around it. The rest of the exterior of the console will just have vinyl without the padding.
MoveQik
I added a small lip around the interior of the console. The vinyl will wrap up and over this from the outside into the inside. Then, the perlon will butt up against it and cover the rest of the inside. Basically it is a way to hide the seam of where the vinyl and the perlon meet. biggrin.gif
MoveQik
up close...
Trevorg7
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Nov 15 2006, 12:18 PM) *

Stealth shelf, now you see it.....

I can already here the CA crew, "you can put your weeeeed in it!"

No worries about getting caught smoke.gif, the 3.2 can out run 'em. driving.gif

T
Ferg
Something tells me you've built a "sub box" or two in your previous life bootyshake.gif

Seriously nice work. rocking nana.gif

now post a pic of your old mini-truck ph34r.gif

Ferg w00t.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 15 2006, 01:34 PM) *

Something tells me you've built a "sub box" or two in your previous life bootyshake.gif

Seriously nice work. rocking nana.gif

now post a pic of your old mini-truck ph34r.gif

Ferg w00t.gif

Holy sheet Ferg!! You are dead-on. I almost posted that it was from my old sub-box building days. I'll try to dif up a pic of my truck. Now back on topic!
majkos
popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif popcorn[1].gif
Grimstead
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Nov 1 2006, 07:46 PM) *

There is an improvement but in my case not a huge one. BUT, I switched from a big backpad to basically just thin material. My bet is that it would be a lot louder with just the material and no Dynamat. I bought enough to do the doors and the floors as well. Extra weight be damned!

Is the improvement you mentioned from just when the backpad was in or did you have that heavy rubber backing in there as well?

Also, I'm impressed with your console. I can't wait to see more pictures of when it is finished. I plan on making one as well, but I really want to make it taller and fit a cup holder into it somehow.

I'm glad that 6/ is turning out so well for you. thumb3d.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Grimstead @ Nov 15 2006, 03:26 PM) *

[Is the improvement you mentioned from just when the backpad was in or did you have that heavy rubber backing in there as well?

Also, I'm impressed with your console. I can't wait to see more pictures of when it is finished. I plan on making one as well, but I really want to make it taller and fit a cup holder into it somehow.

I'm glad that 6/ is turning out so well for you. thumb3d.gif

In order -

The backpad before - heavy factory pad on engine side of firewall. Interior backpad with no insulation of any type behind it.

The backpad now - Same pad on engine side of firewall. Dynamat & material on the inside. I didn't notice a big difference in sound.

Thanks for the props on the console. If you get rid of the heavily padded top that came from the factory but maintain the overall height, the console is pretty deep. I am putting a cup holder that can be removed on the front of it. I don't really like the way they look but it would be nice on road trips so I am building a removable one. thumb3d.gif
TravisNeff
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Nov 15 2006, 04:09 PM) *

I am putting a cup holder that can be removed on the front of it. I don't really like the way they look but it would be nice on road trips so I am building a removable one. thumb3d.gif

ohmy.gif A cupholder! blasphemy At least you can take it out before we make fun of you for having one.

wink.gif

Nice work.
TROJANMAN
mike i have one of the stock "heavy rubber" firepads if you want it
MoveQik
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Nov 15 2006, 04:42 PM) *

but it might be harder to install than those axel bolts poke.gif

I have the one in the engine bay. I don't want one for the interior. Thanks, however. biggrin.gif

One other thing there USC....it's AXLE.
WaideS
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Nov 15 2006, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Nov 15 2006, 04:42 PM) *

but it might be harder to install than those axel bolts poke.gif

I have the one in the engine bay. I don't want one for the interior. Thanks, however. biggrin.gif

One other thing there USC....it's AXLE.

FANTASTIC Wills

I mean the shot against Rubber boy and the console. Are you making the top hinge on the side like you said so you can actually use the thing while driving? I'm headed out to the garage right now to fix some PO (not Howard, PPO) stuff. I like the console idea, I might have to borrow your table saw one day and fab up something using your ideas plus a few of my own. What day are you off next week?......Oh wait, Realtors are always off thumb3d.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(WaideS @ Nov 15 2006, 06:00 PM) *

Are you making the top hinge on the side like you said so you can actually use the thing while driving?

Yeah, it'll hinge on the passenger side to flip open. I bought some really trick hinges that work great. However, after looking at them I think they will take up too much room in the console when it is closed. Chances are I'll just go with a piano hinge. dry.gif
brant
nice wood working too..
nice saw..

very cool mike.
looking good

brant
VegasRacer
Nice job Mike. smilie_pokal.gif

*(The Wills kid has skills. cool_shades.gif Who knew?)
MoveQik
All smoothed out, edges softened a bit & ready for covering. Fabric shop opens up in less than an hour! biggrin.gif
Howard
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Nice work!
VegasRacer
As soon as you are finished driving.gif your car to the Toys 4 Tots / Lake Elsinore Fun Run and Team NARP jsharp.gif on Saturday to show us all how great it looks. biggrin.gif poke.gif
MoveQik
The outside of the console covered
MoveQik
I wasn't initially thrilled with the corners so I went back and reworked them. Now they all look about like this. I can live with it. biggrin.gif
MoveQik
Inside partially done.
MoveQik
Inside done! biggrin.gif
MoveQik
Detail of how the perlon meets up with the vinyl.
Ferg
Um Wow drooley.gif

Ferg
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 16 2006, 01:13 PM) *

Um Wow drooley.gif
Ferg

i think you two should get a room grouphug.gif
MoveQik
I finally bit off more than I could chew with the lid for the console. There is just no way to wrap the vinyl around it and get it to look good. sad.gif My neighbor claims she is pretty handy with her sewing machine so I am going to have her stitch it up.
majkos
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Nov 16 2006, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 16 2006, 01:13 PM) *

Um Wow drooley.gif
Ferg

i think you two should get a room grouphug.gif

Just ignore Rubberboy,he's jealous
You have something 'Nice" or is it "Nicer"?? confused24.gif

Beautiful work! (This is something from a fellow woodworker.)
I mean,how often does Ferg, drool?
MoveQik
QUOTE(majkos @ Nov 16 2006, 07:26 PM) *

Beautiful work! (This is something from a fellow woodworker.)
I mean,how often does Ferg, drool?

Every time he drives by a car wash. w00t.gif

Thanks for the props. My garage is almost exclusively wood working stuff.thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.