Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Connect an ipod to a car stereo amp?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I was thinking about how I could connect my ipod to my stereo system. My stereo doesn't have an ipod jack. The stereo is connected via the rca outputs to an alpine amp tucked away inside my center console. What about putting a splitter on the input side of the amp? My ipod could set right on my center console and plug into the amp. I'm not a stereo guy...but it seems to me that should work. If I turn my stereo on just barely to power-up the amp, (no volume), the ipod's sound would then be amplied and played through the speakers.

Does anyone know if I would have a problem doing it this way?
Thanks....
McMark
You could also wire a switch to power the 'remote' lead on the amp to turn it on. That's what I did for awhile, only I didn't have the stereo. Just an amp, a switch, and an iPod.
highways
An ipod simple spits out 'line level' signal. Anything that accepts a line level input should take it. The splitter should be find- as long as your stereo isn't sending anything stronger then line level to the amplifier. I'm not sure if your ipod volume control will be an adequate overall volume control, but it should be. You may need to raise and lower volume via the amp. Or at the very minimum- your amp will need to be powered down before you can plug in and unplug the ipod, otherwise you'll send a pop through the system that could damage speakers. You can also test your signal chain idea by substituting the ipod with any device sending line level audio- such as a cheap VCR, tapedeck, CD player, whatever (just not phono).

One thing about RCA wiring- it's not a balanced type wire. Meaning you want to keep the cable short (usually 6' max) or else you may start to get inductive electromagnetic interference seeping into the wire. Although those types of problems (generally heard as buzz, or even radio reception) usually are resulting from AC current and ground loops. Not sure if you'll even be exposed to any problems since car audio is powered by DC 12volt.

I myself plan to purchase a stereo with RCA inputs, to do the same thing. There are a few models out there that do... sort of like a mini receiver for your car.

party.gif
turboman808
You can get rid of the radio all together!

I haven't listened to am/fm in many years. Just hook up your ipod or pda to the amp.
MoveQik
QUOTE(highways @ Oct 15 2006, 01:21 PM) *

I myself plan to purchase a stereo with RCA inputs, to do the same thing. There are a few models out there that do... sort of like a mini receiver for your car.

party.gif

I just put an Alpine head unit in my car. It has an iPod input in the back(not a just RCAs). It allows me to control the iPod from the head unit so there is no need to have the iPod out floating around. Just throw it in the glove box. It also has RCA jacks as well should you need them. It works incredibly well and is even Satellite ready. The deck was $190 + a $20 cable for the iPod. No mess, no muss, no fuss. That is my .02.
McMark
If you use the line level out on the iPod you cannot control the volume. I used the speaker level output (mini-plug/headphone jack to RCA converter) so that I could use the iPod volume as the main volume control.
computers4kids
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 15 2006, 12:31 PM) *

You could also wire a switch to power the 'remote' lead on the amp to turn it on.

Great idea...if switching the amp on via the stereo gives me a problem, running an additional switched wire to the amp will allow me to not even have to turn the stereo on.

QUOTE(highways @ Oct 15 2006, 01:21 PM) *

at the very minimum- your amp will need to be powered down before you can plug in and unplug the ipod, otherwise you'll send a pop through the system that could damage speakers.

Should be able to power down the amp either via stereo or additional switch before unplugging ipod.

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 15 2006, 01:38 PM) *

You can get rid of the radio all together!

I could, but then there is the hole in the dash. I have a nice unit in there already.

Thanks for all the ideas...
GeorgeRud
Do I understand properly that simply using the iPods headphone output minijack with a Y splitter terminated in RCA jacks can be directly inputted into an amplifier? Aren't they mismatched in impedence or so? I'm no electrical engineer, but would live such a simple solution to using my iPod in the 914.
bernbomb914
I just rode to Co with my brother in law and he has an Ipod he pluged it into the cigar lighter and turned on the radio to a fm sta and the music came thru the radio. he used the volume control to adjusr the volumn

Bernie
Hammy
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Oct 15 2006, 10:14 PM) *

I just rode to Co with my brother in law and he has an Ipod he pluged it into the cigar lighter and turned on the radio to a fm sta and the music came thru the radio. he used the volume control to adjusr the volumn

Bernie

agree.gif buddy of mine has that. Seems to work pretty good. He mounts his on his dash. Might be pricey though.
Demick
But you won't get good sound quality thorught an FM modulator like that.
McMark
It's one of those things where I'm sure if you talk to some stereo 'gurus' you'll hear about how bad it is, blah, blah, blah. But I've done it, it worked great, and I lived to tell the tale. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 15 2006, 08:42 PM) *

Do I understand properly that simply using the iPods headphone output minijack with a Y splitter terminated in RCA jacks can be directly inputted into an amplifier? Aren't they mismatched in impedence or so? I'm no electrical engineer, but would live such a simple solution to using my iPod in the 914.

computers4kids
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 16 2006, 01:47 PM) *

It's one of those things where I'm sure if you talk to some stereo 'gurus' you'll hear about how bad it is, blah, blah, blah. But I've done it, it worked great, and I lived to tell the tale. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 15 2006, 08:42 PM) *

I have one of those FM modulators made by RoadTrip--about $45. The sound quality is excellent...and works great in my truck. My 914 however is another story. The unit that plugs into the "cigarette lighter" has a fair amount of weight with the ipod and extends out enough that it shakes around too much and won't stay in the ciggarete lighter. It actually does a little prying action on the cigarette lighter insert that goes in the dash and tries to pop it out. Hard wire it...you'll be happier in the end.

turboman808
QUOTE(Demick @ Oct 16 2006, 07:22 AM) *

It's already mp3 format so the sound already sucks.
zen motorcycle
[/quote]

True DAT (ha ha ha)
IF you are worried about the weight you can get a power adapter extension from any electronics store. Basically a male cigarette plug with a cord and a female receptacle on the other end.
brer
If you have or can find a 70's/80's Blaupunkt or Becker that you like the look of you can buy a adapter cord that plugs into the 8pin socket in the back of that. vintage looks right in the dash, and the ipod works.

smile.gif
VaccaRabite
In my Subaru, I have my iPod wired to the AuxIn RCA port in the back of my Alpine HU. I am using a belkin charger, and just ran a mini-jack to RCA (L/R) cable under the dash to the back of the HU.

I tried to do the iTrip FM modulator, and found that it did not work at all. All of the radio frequencies that I could choose were taken by other stations. The sound quality was staticy and really poor.

Now that it is hard wired in, the sound quality is great, nearly CD. _Way_ above radio quality.

Zach
highways
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 16 2006, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Demick @ Oct 16 2006, 07:22 AM) *

Not necessarily... I don't touch mp3's with a ten foot rca cable. You can import your music to your computer at any level of quality you want. Set your preference to AIFF or WAV- and you have the full CD sound all set to go for your ipod. I only use AIFF because because I dj with digital music. I have a 4gb ipod (as my backup or 'take a break' deck) and I fit 7 full quality CD's onto it. Now if I needed to carry around more CD's a 60gb ipod would let me have about 100 full quality CD's in my pocket. But actually since I don't mind the bulge in my pocket- I just take my 250gb hardrive. All my CD's, all in one box, never get scratched, and I'm not going to cry either if someone swipes my music collection- it's just the backup.

Mp3 is only made for those little ear bud hearing aid thingies. The moment you start playing that mp3 (and I hate when people burn me a CD from mp3 files- total junk!) over a bigger speaker like your car, home, or club (and yes you can just connect it to your amplifier) your going to hear that mp3 cymbol hiss and bass crunch real LOUD and CLEAR.

For those who still want to economise their drive space and keep top quality sound- Apple lossless format doesn't miss a beat.

party.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.