Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - New version; old scam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarbuthnot
As some of you know, I'm selling my 1971 914, and I put an ad in the online version of Uncle Henry's. Got this e-mail the other day:

Hi,
am Interested in buying your vehicle, do get back to me if the vehicle is still availiable for sale
and your last asking price for it.Moreover, may i
state here that i shall request all the necessary
paperworks pertaining the milage,usage,insurance
policy of the vehicle,also please do not forgetto
state your bottom_line price
Awaiting your quick response,
Regards.
Name:Richard Gasquet
seattle: WA
phone and e-mail address ..)))###

So, I respond with some of the information, but not my bottom line price. I asked him to make an offer.

He comes back with:
Hello There,
thanks for your response, well please i would
like to know your last asking price for the vehicle couse i know you can come down a bit from your listed price so please do get back to me with your bottom-line price.
Regards...
Richard...

So, I go back with my bottom price and this is what I get:

Hello,
Thank you for your response,Well happy to inform you that i have concluded payment arrangements with the client, who really commended your vehicle and has instructed to move on with the deal at the price of ($xxxx),He said he will be going on a vacation soon and will rest virtually all the transaction on my shoulder and assign an agent like wise that i will work with and stressed that he will be issuing out a cashier check of ($13,000) which was a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by him but will be filed in your name for the payment by his debtor,you are only required to deduct the cost of your vehicle which is($xxxx) and send the back the balance when payment gets to you to the agent whose information will be given to you as at when due, he will be needing the funds to offset shipping charges, taxes and other cosmetic repairs/touches of the goods he bought,which your vehicle is inclusive,the agent will be responsible for signing and transfering of title paper and also pick-up of the vehicle and other items bought by him in U.S.A accordingly.
So you are required to send me your NAME,ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER for payment to be delivered to you through as soon as possible.All other information needed in completion of this transaction will given to you in due time.
THANKS HOPE TO DO BUSINESS WITH YOU.
Regards
Richard......

I go back to him with:
If I understand you correctly, you will send me a cashier check of $13,000 in my name, I send you the car and $xxxx?

I don't think so. Since nothing has happened yet, is it fraud? Can I report this to anyone - FBI, who? Problem is I'm moving in December and by the time anything happens, I'll be ensconsed in my French manoir.

Gotta love these guys, really gave me a good laugh biggrin.gif

KaptKaos
Fraud.

Run.
rhodyguy
tell him your personal representative (me) in washington will hand deliver a cashiers check in the ammount requested. tell him when his agent is ready, your rep will meet him at the base of the space needle. i look forward to it. let me know when. i bet a local news crew would love to film it.

k
GWN7
You can report them here:

http://www.internetfraud.usdoj.gov/

Or give them your mailing address and let them spend the $$ on the postage/fake money order and then laugh when it arrives. smile.gif
davep
Interesting that they are now working out of Seattle. Oh how I would love to see a sting operation. There has to be a dozen members in Seattle or close by.
jarbuthnot
Well, the form to report a complaint isn't working, plus it looks like I can only complain if I've lost money, which I haven't.

When I did a google for his name, turns out it belongs to a French tennis player! If and when I get a response, I'm going to tell him to flipa.gif and ask him how his tennis game is.
rhodyguy
let them know your rep will be wearing a blood red shriner's fez (w/black tassle) and plaid trousers.

k
GWN7
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 15 2006, 07:55 AM) *

let them know your rep will be wearing a blood red shriner's fez (w/black tassle) and plaid trousers.

k

What colour shirt? chairfall.gif
JPB
Email him back and say that you will be glad to tke his 13K check but he will have to add another $800 for delivery.

:beer1:See if passes at the bank and wait. He ain't comming to collect anyways.
rhodyguy
a green shirt bruce (notstratplayer).

k
Jenny
Tell him you will have your secretary handling the transaction for you, as you are out of the country. Your secretary's email is suzieQ@FBI.gov. You have instructed Miss Q to be expecting correspondance from Mr. Gasquet. Let him know you've forwarded the emails to Miss Q, so she has been brought up to speed on everything. wink.gif

Jen

PS. it's good to hear from you, Joan!
jarbuthnot
[quote name='Jenny' date='Oct 16 2006, 01:01 PM' post='795655']
Let him know you've forwarded the emails to Miss Q, so she has been brought up to speed on everything. wink.gif

Good idea as are the others. Jen, wish I had read yours before I deleted all the messages and blocked the sender. Obviously, some people do fall for these, but anybody who has read most of the threads here sure won't.

Thanks Jen. I've been up to my eyeballs in selling the house, two cars, getting ready to move, and closing on the house in France. Only 7.5 weeks until we move givemebeer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.